The Valley

• 8 Replies

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
The Valley
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:23 »
The grand releasing of my second serious level is here!
More information and some screenshots are here:

http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3619.0

It is Environmental and Medium/Large, Easy/Medium (find that keys takes some time).
Please, try it and post here your opinions. Thank you.

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Green%20Cookie%20-%20The%20Valley.knytt.bin
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: The Valley
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 13:28:41 »
Methinks you should move the topic to previews and ask for beta testers. I reached the place on the screenshot with just the run and the climb powerups; and now I can't continue - there are large pools to the left and the jump to the right is too high.

I've only seen a small portion of the level, I guess, but still, if there are over 100 screens, you may want to make some of the areas a bit more distinctive. Otherwise it is kind of difficult to keep track of all the passages, since the rooms are so similar; it probably also gets a bit boring after a while.

On the bright side, the level looks and feels very nice; love the random spring jumping.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 16:01:12 »
Yohji is right on all counts. I also got stuck with just run and climb but "god moded" my way out. Once you get high jump it's no problem but that comes after I cheated with Juni.

I then played the level to the end. Once again an "old school" style environmental level with a bit of a challenge finding the keys.

With interest somewhat waning with Knytt stories and the plethora of somewhat insanely difficult levels, I welcome a return to something more gentler!

Good job for your second level!

Now try something more difficult...not insane mind you.   :crazy:

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 18:29:42 »
I didn't get stuck, though I can see how people might if they went down the tunnel without getting the hi-jump first (shame on them! :P)

And I managed to get there in the end. It was reasonably fun, though all a bit samey; apart from colour scheme, the scenery didn't vary that much - all the areas looked pretty much the same. It would be nice to see some different terrain; some tighter passages say, or something other than forests. The rainy area was quite a nice change, but it could have been bigger :P

And it would have been good to see some cutscenes. You kind of need to tell the story in the level, not just on the forums, even if the story is quite minimal.

But yeah, it was fun. It filled a few minutes.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:16:02 »
Okay. A short environmental before bed... just what the doctor ordered. ;-)

I like this. Yes, it's a bit 'samey', and not spectacularly decorated and so on - but it's not large enough, IMO, for that to be a real issue. For a level of this size, there's enough variety, and it was all pretty enough to make running and jumping around in it for a few minutes quite pleasant.

The green area with the rain and the many flowers and the rounded corners *is* the prettiest area by quite a margin, though - I would have loved for that to be a bit bigger; I could go for a much longer walk in an area based on that tileset without getting bored of it. It's just really pleasant. The flowers are really well done, and the rounded corners make it feel 'natural'...

ETA: Maybe you could make another environmental with it? I'd love to play that.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 00:15:38 »
Do you plan to make your tileset(s) available for public use, btw? I'd absolutely love to use your flowers in some part of Falling Water...

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 02:14:07 »
There's a spring in the underground green area that doesn't have a spring on it. It in the top right of a large room, all by itself.
Lurk more.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 22:19:10 »
This was a cool level - buzzing with lots of environmental stuff. Generally very scenic and relaxing. Some of the keys are tricky to find and I liked the "infinite world" feeling.

This screen was my favorite:

Offline Kira

• I can see u now !
    • View Profile
    • illustrators-web-gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:35 »
Very peaceful and beautiful world. Relaxing. Thanks Greencookie !
I do not speak English very well. I apologize in advance for my mistakes or my misunderstanding.