[Environmental] The Hermit [3/20/12: DEMO OUT NOW!]

• 49 Replies

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
Re: [Environmental] The Hermit [3/20/12: DEMO OUT NOW!]
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 01:58:55 »
First of all, most people post a thread in the level releases forum when they have something playable, even if it's just a demo.

Most people? I checked and didn't see any demos or WIPs in there, so I figured I'd just add it to my original post here. Also it's described as "a temporary forum for posting your finished levels," and this isn't finished! If I'm asked to move it there I will. :)

Secondly, I played a bit of your level, and I have to say, it's way too hard for me. It takes too long to get the run power-up, including a screen with an enemy that can be very hard without perfect timing and/or luck.

I don't think I made it too difficult at all compared to most other levels I've played, but thanks for the feedback and I'll see what I can do.

Plus, right after the run power-up is a very difficult section with hoses and other nasty stuff.

What are hoses?

EDIT: here's the current map for anyone who's interested

and I just noticed this in the intro cutscene...

I didn't even notice the leaf entities when taking the screenshots. I'm too used to seeing them I guess.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:02:39 by munchybot »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 18:57:58 »
The intro was superb. Brilliant stuff. The rest of the level felt very promising for a demo, but a bit more unfinished than I expected from the screenshots and all. You've spoiled things a bit by posting too many screenshots, maybe ;) And using old tilesets a bit too frequently... I hope the finished version will have a story, some dialogue, and more knytts walking here and there, populating the landscape :)

I haven't found any real problems. I didn't find any of the challenges particularly hard; although it may have been pure luck with the first creature before the run powerup. The tower screens (with the springs and other stuff, x1005 etc.) were a bit uncomfortable because of the many random water deaths, but otherwise OK.

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 22:16:48 »
The intro was superb. Brilliant stuff. The rest of the level felt very promising for a demo, but a bit more unfinished than I expected from the screenshots and all. You've spoiled things a bit by posting too many screenshots, maybe ;) And using old tilesets a bit too frequently... I hope the finished version will have a story, some dialogue, and more knytts walking here and there, populating the landscape :)

I haven't found any real problems. I didn't find any of the challenges particularly hard; although it may have been pure luck with the first creature before the run powerup. The tower screens (with the springs and other stuff, x1005 etc.) were a bit uncomfortable because of the many random water deaths, but otherwise OK.
I'm trying to keep it entirely dialogue-free, and keep the storyline as unexplained as possible - I want to leave all that stuff up to the player's imagination, with just a couple nudges and hints here and there.

The creature before the run powerup is totally easy to get by, you just jump over him and walk through the tunnel. :P

I really like the way the water looks underneath the tower rooms, but I'll put a floor there and probably recycle that water pit sorta look somewhere else in the level.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 12:28:42 »
I've played demo yesterday and it was superb.
Does anyone know it is still being worked on ?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 20:52:09 »
Random scenery feedback (I remain as predictable as ever): love the underwater area; all those plants around the tubes. (What is it about me and plants in this game... Maybe I need to start gardening or something.)