Updating KS

• 12 Replies
Updating KS
« on: March 27, 2009, 00:59:28 »
I just came back to the forums after a fairly long absence, and I have noticed that my old Knytt Stories is version 1.1

How precisely should I update to 1.2.1? Should I copy the new KnyttStories.exe and Leveleditor.exe into my old KS folder (which has quite a few gamesaves and levels in it)? Or should I do it the other way around by putting the levels and saves from my old game folder into the new folder?

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Updating KS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:46 »
Take out your levels you want to keep, and download this. I got it from the old forum.

EDIT: If you ever need a custom object, drop me a message. ;)

EDIT2: Oh, duh. :P Just totally delete your old KS except for the levels you want to keep. This has all you need. Also, Nifflas left in the Flash file by accident. I'd keep it in there if I were you. I don't know if you need it, but...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:09:32 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:22:08 »
You only need the Knytt Stories.exe and Level Editor.exe You don't need to replace anything else. And, Pumpkinbot, it's an MMF2 file not a flash file.  :)

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:43:43 »
Thanks a bunch, that appears to have worked!

My friend and I might eventually work together to create a level. I'm rarely very motivated, though, and I procrastinate, so I dunno if that'll work out =P

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:30 »
You only need the Knytt Stories.exe and Level Editor.exe You don't need to replace anything else. And, Pumpkinbot, it's an MMF2 file not a flash file.  :)
*facepalm* Shows you how much programming knowledge I have. XD

And Wotching, all it takes to create a level is a spark of inspiration that eventually turns into a raging inferno. My level, The Mysterious Grotto (or TMG), was started from one screen I decided to make out of total boredom. I then added a screen above that, more screens, then two forest, a temple, a beehive, and a city later, I had TMG. :3
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:09:32 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:50:41 »
You only need the Knytt Stories.exe and Level Editor.exe You don't need to replace anything else.

You'll also need to copy over the Bank 255 folder from the new Data/Objects folder to the old one. (If you want to use Custom Objects.)
good bye

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:54:06 »
You only need the Knytt Stories.exe and Level Editor.exe You don't need to replace anything else.

You'll also need to copy over the Bank 255 folder from the new Data/Objects folder to the old one. (If you want to use Custom Objects.)
Which is why I said it's easier to delete it all and replace it all. Except for the levels, of course.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:54:47 »

Which is why I said it's easier to delete it all and replace it all. Except for the levels, of course.

But then you'd have to move all the levels (if there are many, this could take a while), and you'd have to delete and replace several identical files. If you just copy-paste in the new exe and editor, and the Bank 255 folder, that's only 51 files, rather than the several hundred necessary for a complete replacement.
good bye

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 15:06:17 »
This is pretty simple really. Just download the new files, unzip them wherever you want, and then replace the new worlds folder with the one you had before. After that you should be all set and done.
If you are worried about space on your hard drive you can just delete the old files when you are done with the "installation".
(I know its not necessary to replace all the files, but it is much simpler to do so, and it actually takes less time.)
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 22:50:40 »
I would also want to replace the credits and template files with the new ones in the zip to make sures things are 100% up to date

It would just be simpler to download the installer and run it. Nifflas and I had a conversation about this once, and the installer just updates KS and things the need updating, without removing any levels...

Then again I believe the only installer was found on the old forum, in the KS topic, and I can't quite remember if it was 1.2, or 1.2.1
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 06:28:57 »
The newest KS release (1.2.1) is only available as a zip file, and the old release (1.0.4) was only available as an installer, although I remember a few instances of zip files being uploaded to help people who had problems with the installer.
good bye

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 04:24:09 »
Ah, I couldn't remember. Oh well, just be sure to update the Credits and Template files as well. They're there for a reason. ;)

...You don't really have to... but you'll have old information. lol
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 22:05:20 »
Or just don't update anything, unzip the files into a new folder instead, and replace the new worlds folder with the old one. That way, you will have updated everything possible to update with minimal effort while keeping all your old levels.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D