installing community levels knytt ds

• 6 Replies

Offline THOTH

• View Profile
installing community levels knytt ds
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:57:41 »
Please help! I have no problems running knytt stories ds and the additional stories that come with it but I can't install any of the community levels. The readme says to install it on the pc version then copy it to your ds but I can't figure out how to bring it up and drag it to my flashcart after it's installed on the pc version

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: installing community levels knytt ds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:24:17 »
In the Worlds subfolder of your PC installation of Knytt Stories you can find all the levels: each level is a folder named <author name> - <level name>. Copy the level folders you want into data\dsknytt\Worlds on your flashcart and you're done.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline THOTH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 18:56:47 »
Thanks AA but unfortunately that isn't working. I have no problem installing the levels but when I go to the world folder they aren't there. I can play the levels fine but I've noticed that if I close and restart knyttstories.exe the levels I've installed are not there anymore. Is this normal? Is it supposed to save levels you've installed? I think this might have something to do with it because if it saved them they would show up in my worlds folder so I can drag them to my ds flashcart.

Also, after you install a .bin level file does knyttstories create a folder with all the other files? like the music, tileset, story etc??

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 19:38:56 »
That's definitely not normal. The installed levels should stay there when you quit the game. Are you perhaps running Knytt Stories directly from the compressed ZIP folder?
Some KS levels by me:

Offline THOTH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 19:44:38 »
Yes I am. Is there another way?

Offline THOTH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 19:51:39 »
That's definitely not normal. The installed levels should stay there when you quit the game. Are you perhaps running Knytt Stories directly from the compressed ZIP folder?

That worked! Thanks, I really appreciate it!!  I had no idea that running it from your desktop made a difference than from the zip file.  :nuts:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 19:59:03 »
You're welcome :)  And yes, it makes a difference. When you try to launch a program directly from a compressed file, Windows extracts all the files to a temporary location and then runs the executable. When the program closes, that temporary folder is deleted. That's why you couldn't find the installed levels anywhere.
Some KS levels by me: