Beyond the Black Hole demo

• 20 Replies

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
Beyond the Black Hole demo
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:36:54 »
Cheers!

Ok, so this is the demo of Beyond the Black Hole, a puzzle-platformer I've been working on for about half a year now with Multimedia Fusion 2. It's by far my biggest project, and it'll sure take a year or so still to finish it. This thing is a sequel to FIG, my earlier 'big' game, though there are certain big differences, the controlling system being the biggest.

This demo features 6 of the game's 35 levels, all chosen from the finished 12 and stuffed to one planet. There's also the tutorial level on top of that. I'll stop here and let the readme speak a bit:

"In each level, your objective is to collect all the yellow stars (there's usually only one, and none should be hidden from view) and reach the exit. Reaching the stars and overall solving the levels requires using the main character to carry things around, and the mouse to interact with other things. Most levels require both methods of interaction. In every level, there's also a hidden blue star, which requires either extra skill or just common curiousness to be found. Collecting all the blue stars also results in a bonus, though not in this demo!

NOTE! You can adjust volume from the settings.txt!

** CONTROLS **

A & D = move left & right
W = jump
Space = pick up / put down
Left mouse button = throw when aiming, interact, confirm
Right mouse button = aim when carrying an item, return to planet menu
ESC = quit level/game
Enter = restart level

** CREDITS **

Full credits shall be in the finished game!

Idea, design, graphics & programming: Arvi Teikari
Musics: Johan Hargne
Main tester: Looki
Support and sound editing: Nicklas Nygren"

GET THE GAME FROM THIS LINK!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond the Black Hole demo
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:50:59 »
Looks great, will give feedback once i've finished  8D

Edit: i haven't finished yet, but the game is really nice :D
The graphics are uber cute, and the music is great. the gameplay is really intuitive, as well (at least for me). Cant wait for the final release!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:28:41 by AClockworkLemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:41:03 »
Is there supposed to be a menu screen, or are you supposed to just click around on a blue background until you accidentally start a level?
The gameplay itself is fine, but the scrolling feels way too fast for a relaxed puzzle game.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 12:46:30 »
Errr. I'm not sure what has happened there, but the menu screen sure shouldn't be blank like that ;O I'll look into it.
The game can get quite hectic at places, so good enough scrolling is a must, I'd say.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 20:02:46 »
This looks like fun, I'm going to DL and try it.

It seems you only come on here though when you have new games to show. Not just to talk or anything. :\

EDIT: Very fun game, reminds me of Hapland, just with an added puzzle (cute rectangle guy). I can't seem to get the second star in the level with the pepper monster, I got the blue star
Spoiler: which is (click to show/hide)
but how do I get past the guy that punches you to another planet? :O
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 20:34:05 by Wanderer »
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:36:15 »
This looks like fun, I'm going to DL and try it.

It seems you only come on here though when you have new games to show. Not just to talk or anything. :\

EDIT: Very fun game, reminds me of Hapland, just with an added puzzle (cute rectangle guy). I can't seem to get the second star in the level with the pepper monster, I got the blue star
Spoiler: which is (click to show/hide)
but how do I get past the guy that punches you to another planet? :O

Well, I've been here since the first forum, and I've had my active days already. I talk with Nifflas in other ways, too, so I don't feel that my commentary is really that needed usually.
There's a huge hint to the pepper level in the sign that is next to the puncher, just think of it a bit!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:25:56 »
I can't get the star from the bird with the floatymushrooms... :/
but other than that I really like that there's another game of yours. :D
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:41:27 »
I can't get the star from the bird with the floatymushrooms... :/
but other than that I really like that there's another game of yours. :D

When you try to catch the star, the bird 'protects' it. Maybe you could find a way to not make that happen?

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 14:32:42 »
okay, I got it by randomly clicking it a lot. :/
I'd like if the walk controls were also possible with the cursor keys. for people who use the mouse with their left hand. :|

Edit: Hey, it keeps saying "No" to finished/blue star, although I have both on the beast level! :sad:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 14:51:44 by Miss Paula »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 14:45:48 »
I figured it out now, I didn't understand the sign at first but then I was struck with inspiration! :D
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 19:27:14 »
okay, I got it by randomly clicking it a lot. :/
I'd like if the walk controls were also possible with the cursor keys. for people who use the mouse with their left hand. :|

Edit: Hey, it keeps saying "No" to finished/blue star, although I have both on the beast level! :sad:

Yeah, that bug should be fixed rather soon. Thanks for reporting!

Hey, that's a good suggestion about the controls! I'll add a support for them. :)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 21:08:16 »
I think it would be better with all black outlines. kinda weird the dude goes behind stuff that hasn't black outlines whick most cases in most pixel games where there is is background and not foreground.

Offline Hempuli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 21:14:51 »
I absolutely disagree. In my opinion depth shouldn't be necessarily depicted by some specific colour combination, but rather by the colours becoming less saturated and 'whiter' when they're further. I think it'd greatly break the game's graphics if the otherwise nonsaturated colours were surrounded by black - the contrast of the colours would be too great.

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 20:59:39 »
How come it's not on your site yet? It looks pretty cool, just booting up 7-zip so I can try it.
EDIT: Very cool! I like the art style a lot! Though these puzzles are unusually hard... |_|'
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:19:16 by The stickman »

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!