[Enviromental] Dusk town

• 46 Replies

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
Re: [Enviromental] Dusk town
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 15:53:02 »
You mean you don't like it? (Care =/= like, don't you know)
I guess that's true. Though, it's a game, normal sense doesn't really always exist.
I already worked all those things, I'm not gonna change it, sorry.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 17:09:24 »
I guess that's true. Though, it's a game, normal sense doesn't really always exist.
That feels more like a cop-out than a real argument. It doesn't look like the pillars are behind the wall, because the wall looks like it's further away in the background. It doesn't matter that it's a game, because it still looks weird.

I already worked all those things, I'm not gonna change it, sorry.
Oh come on.
It takes about 20 seconds to change that. Even if you had made as many as 50 screens with broken pillars, it would still only have taken you around 15 minutes to fix it all.
With 19 screens, you are only looking at 6 minutes of work.

I think you should try to make your level look as good as possible. Don't get scared by 6 minutes of simple tile work.

That said, I like how you used the ground tiles. Keep it up.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 17:37:01 »
Strangely in the 2nd screen pic, the pillars behind the wall don't bother me, but there is too much wall in front of the pillars in the 3rd screen pic.  You might also simply consider either having a modified tileset that has a more realistic brick wall, or a less realistic pillar.  Either way, I actually do like the effect in the 2nd screen pic.  It WOULD suggest an interesting depth of space if it wasn't for the clash of details. 

And I have to agree that "it's a game" is a really bad argument.  If that where true we would all still be playing pong.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 02:52:01 »
It's a figure of speech. "I don't care for," means, "I don't like," but it signifies a smaller level of dislike than simply saying, "I don't like." It's my fault for using figures of speech on an international forum.

As for the pillars, it's not a major problem. I only noticed because I was looking at it critically. My first impression was, "This looks good!" I think Arcturus made the pillars wrong. They shouldn't have that black outline indicating contact layer. Maybe that's what he intended as a tileset designer, but from a level designer's perspective it makes them hard to use well. The way you're using them shows that they are in arguably in the background, which is a good thing. If you like it then you should leave it.

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 10:34:26 »
I like the pillars and the bricks. It looks weird, but cool. I honestly do think the red blocks in the third screenshot look terrible though. I really like the design of the city especially in the first screenshot - it looks like it started out as a small town and as more people moved in over decades and decades, they just kept building on top of other buildings until it became this unorganized jumble of bricks. Maybe towards the center of the city you could have older-looking structures, and as you move outward the buildings become more and more modern, to play on that idea.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 11:34:08 »
Yeah, bit weird to get such a lot of reaction while I'm not really working on this.
It's vacation though, so I'll have time to work on it, I guess. The red thing will be replaced, I'll see what I'm gonna change it to later. Thanks for all the comments, btw  :)

Uh, yeah, on this PC (my own PC has broken down itself) the mouse does not like KS or KS editor, so it'll take a while before I'll work on it again....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 13:47:11 by Yonowaaru »

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:15 »
By the way
I like you crowded style... its different  ;)

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 12:16:32 »
Thanks!
My PC is up and running again, expect some screenshots later today/tomorrow.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 21:25:19 »
Working right now on the insides of some houses, but tomorrow we're leaving for vacation! So, as a parting gift, I give you this screenshot of the next area, Amber Grove.

Offline BioShock

• Yes, I do like Bioshock
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 21:02:25 »
I love it so far, the first few screenshots made it feel kinda mysterious if you know what i mean, and amber grove looks great, maybe put some stars?

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 01:34:26 »
Second screen the critters can walk out in the air.

Third screen the red tiles doesn't fit in at all.

it depends. if there is a red section underneath i could see it fitting in well.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 10:31:05 »
Hey I like you :)

Finish your level :)

That would be very ok :)

Thank you :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 20:38:41 »
I really like Amber Grove!

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 18:13:23 »
Thanks for all the nice comments!
I do intend to finish this, though I haven't really worked on this because I've just returned from a holiday in Normandy  :shifty:

Stars would work, I guess?
The BG used isn't final, it could be lighter or I could add stars.
I'll see later, bit tired now.