[Enviromental] Dusk town

• 46 Replies

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
[Enviromental] Dusk town
« on: June 18, 2010, 20:48:45 »
Well, this is my newest project.
Many of you will probably not have heard of me, my last project was Mount Ignis, which was never finished, but you can download the last version I made on Knyttlevels.

So, about this project.

If you've played Mount Ignis, you'll know what my style for creating KS levels looks like.
This level is no exception. It features all kinds of overlapping tiles, as you'll see in the screenshot below.

Tilesets used right now are:

- "Nowhere" by Richard "Arcturus" Dunn
- "Spooky forest" by the Almighty one himself, Nifflas  ;)
-"Poisonous Forest", also by Him.
-"ORTOFAKTOR by Simon Jonsson
-"Technology of the ancients" by Markham Carroll
-"Furniture madness" by Paula
-"Ruined church" by BlackM.1
-"Underwater Ruins" by Zenth (or is it 2enth?)

The story so far is simple.

Juni has always lived in this dusky town, in her house, never leaving, looking outside the window and seeing the town,always plagued by fog. One day, she decided to explore outside, to see what lied beyond her own home.

Any comments so far?

Btw, screen count: 35.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 17:21:23 by Yonowaaru »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Enviromental] Dusk town
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:35:48 »
Looks cool. That screenshot actually manages to make that very well-known tileset feel fresh.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 18:35:28 »
Thanks! I'm working on this right now, thought I'd show another screen for the few people left here. (There were a lot more, but it's quieted a bit and still is)

So, the screen. It's a screen of the sewers under the town, which use the same tileset still. Dunno what else to say, really.

Any criticism? Comments? Anything?

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 21:12:42 »
It's a bit busy..
Lurk more.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 21:39:30 »
I guess so? Though, that's my way of making levels, I guess.
Is it really too crowded, or is it doable?

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 22:13:44 »
I like these screenshots and the idea. Some of the trees in the first one look a bit off (e.g. there's a tree that looks as if it is growing out of a bridge, which isn't possible)... it's also a bit odd that those waterfalls are flooding the building beneath. (Or can we enter the building and see how much water there is? That would be awesome!) Anyway, it would be nice to see a large town that looks like this, a maze of passages and stuff.

By the way, I haven't played Mount Ignis, sorry, so maybe my criticisms are misplaced. I myself always used tilesets in all kinds of ways, so eh. Also, I don't think the second screen is too crowded.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 13:36:45 »
Re: visual crowdedness. IMO, this is not a problem for a level that, after all, is supposed to depict a city. Cities do have a tendency to feel visually crowded, after all - the older, the more so. To me, this adds to the sense of a place that's been built over a long space of time, with no big, overarching plan or design. And so far, the screenshots don't look as if you can't tell what's solid and what's background.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 13:56:59 »
The tree thing was changed, when I saw it, I realized it didnīt make sense.
The waterfalls are falling into drains which you can kinda see behind where they hit the ground. You will be able to enter houses, just havenīt really made screens for that purpose, I guess.

The main look of this world is indeed basically like a whole lot of stuff thatīs built on top of each other. Good to see people donīt think itīs too cluttered.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 15:35:14 »
Hmm, can you doublepost here after 24 hours? If not, sorry, I'm used to that through other forums  :shifty:

Well yeah, another screen.
Main question here is if it clashes too much.
Thanks in advance  ;)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 17:06:06 »
You may want to take screenshots of these in the level editor's preview mode. That way you can get rid of the editing square.

Looks good nonetheless. :D That new screen doesn't really seem to be clashing too badly, although the blue block and lower red sections look slightly out of place to me.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 17:48:40 »
Yeah, the screens near that are somewhat of a lab kinda thing, I guess I wanted to show that there's a new area near. Also, I'm just lazy in taking them straight from the editor  >), I'll perhaps do it another way...

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 22:49:47 »
Well, I already thought so on clashing. Oh well, time to find myself a better tileset :D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 23:55:53 »
I don't care for the pillars showing from behind the crumbling walls. The pillars' higher level of detail suggest they're closer than the wall, especially with the black outlines.