[Hard/Challenge] Eurydice

• 117 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: [Hard/Challenge] Eurydice
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2015, 22:53:09 »
Ah, it's great to hear you're so passionate about this. Storytelling has always been my passion (starting with a 12-year-old's fanfiction and working up from there) and 'Eurydice' is the first time I tried to use computer games as a medium for storytelling. These days when I look at this I tend to focus more on those clunky and overly-hard parts (though unlike apparently everyone else I can get past the springs in the mushroom forest without dying) more than the good side. (And what's with that flying saucer in the underworld? Seriously, what possessed me to think that was a good idea?!)

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

'Eurydice DX', a remake of this level more up to the standards I set myself today, is one of three four large projects I'm contemplating to follow 'Dragon Myth'. I've done a fair bit of planning for it, including a map, a flow diagram of events (which will run in a different order to the original to improve flow and cut out some of the backtracking) and some basic scripts. Reading what made the original work for you is also giving me ideas. So maybe soon I will be working to make something stronger and more accessible, a new way of telling the old and older tale.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:57:47 by Talps »

Offline oriane

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2020, 22:55:30 »
Hi Talps!

I discovered your levels by digging for KS recommendations in some threads from 10 years ago. I really liked The coming of the dark (even found the secret sigils  :P2), so now I'm doing Eurydice. However I'm afraid I'm in a softlock.

In any case, thanks for your work, I'll look up your later levels!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2020, 01:12:43 »
Hello, thanks for playing my levels and welcome to the forums! Good job on completing my super-hard monstrosity of a first level; I think that puts you in a pretty exclusive club!

I'm afraid a few people got stuck where you are in Eurydice. Going into the lighthouse is the correct route. It is possible to do that jump but it's very tricky. I was thinking of correcting some issues with this level but it has so many flaws that my plan turned instead into a plan for a complete remake of the level, which never really got off the ground (despite writing a complete script and sequence plan, I only ever made about a dozen screens).

A few years ago I did my best to help someone else stuck where you are. What I told them is below.

1. If you're not already, try playing the section in full-screen. You can full-screen-ify KS by pressing alt+enter. I think it's more than placebo that that does make some jumps and tricks easier; it might make jumping out of there possible.
2. Edit the screen using the level editor. (Assuming you know nothing about how the editor works) Open 'Eurydice' in the KS level editor, navigate to screen 1034,1027, press '5' on your keyboard and then left-click and run the mouse pointer over the spikes above the switch; the red boxes covering the spikes should disappear - the red boxes are what kills you; the spikes themselves are just graphics. Save and then go back to the level - you can resume your saved game without any problems.
3. (Not recommended, but the easiest solution) Use the Top Secret KS Cheat; type 'Knytt Stories cheat' into Youtube.

Whatever you do, I hope you have fun, and try out some of my later levels which are less rocky! Thanks for playing and posting.  :)

Offline oriane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2020, 14:48:55 »
I'd rather not learn how to cheat for now, so I went with your second solution. This was my first time in the level editor, so if I ever spend hundreds of hours in it later, I shall hold you responsible.  X)

Anyway, the tweak went smooth thanks to your advice, so I'm on to the rest of the level!

It's quite heartwarming to find a designer offering quick advice even though the level's about to turn 10 in a few weeks.  <3

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2020, 21:04:40 »
It's quite heartwarming to find a designer offering quick advice even though the level's about to turn 10 in a few weeks.  <3

I'm so OOOOOOOLD!!! :(

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2020, 15:12:41 »
I replayed this again for the umpteenth time, because I saw it at the top of the board. The story is still just as great as I remember! I hope one day you are able to complete the redo.

Thanks again for making this level... a decade ago!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2020, 22:25:30 »
I'm really glad you still enjoy it!

Oh and you know what, just 'cus it's you, pfrangip.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 22:32:07 by Talps »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2020, 18:13:10 »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2020, 20:52:32 »
In school I was taught 'YUR-ih-deece'.

I think in Greek it's more like Eh-RED-ih-kiss'.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 20:54:09 by Talps »

Offline bernd

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2020, 22:06:47 »
I just played it and I really enjoyed this level!

just one question:
I never really got the purple key and entered the left house.
is there some way to do this too? :-)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2020, 23:46:09 »
Glad you had fun!

There is. I think I gave it away in a spoiler tag in this thread at one point.

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2020, 23:31:37 »
In school I was taught 'YUR-ih-deece'.
Horrible.  Whoever told you that shouldn't have been teaching.  It's yu-RID-ih-see.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2020, 17:10:53 »
Well, she wasn't the worst teacher I ever had. There was the one who had to get me to explain the story of the Israelite Exodus from Egypt because she frankly hadn't a clue. In the scheme of things, mispronouncing one foreign name is probably forgivable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 17:13:47 by Talps »