[Hard/Challenge] Eurydice

• 117 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
[Hard/Challenge] Eurydice
« on: June 15, 2010, 18:53:08 »
At last, it is finished! This is my second KS level and it's based on the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, which is about a man whose wife dies a short while after their wedding, so he travels to the land of the dead to plead for her return. As I say, this is based on that, not a faithful retelling (my main character's a girl, for one thing).

I've tried to use Knytt Stories to tell a good story, since telling stories is where my strength lies. But I hope I've managed to make a fun, challenging, not frustrating/annoying level in the process!

Download link is...
http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Talps%20-%20Eurydice.knytt.bin

The intro does say 'Part 1' but all the 'parts' are there, in one package, as it were. Like chapters. This is the complete version of the game.

Hope you enjoy it!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [Hard/Challenge] Eurydice
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 21:57:43 »
Cool :D  I was waiting for this level since I read the preview thread. Downloading nao.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 19:05:44 »
epic. great story. very puzzly..which I love, and you've decorated very, very nicely with some old tilesets and new yes?

however...this is just way too hard for me in places. gets frustrating cause I don't have the hours required to complete such a level with out looking in the level editor.

the most insane area has to be, and I hate invisible mazes, when you finally reach...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

well I gave it a shot even though I peeked.

Offline trilby93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:35:42 »
Awesome game.

Need help on the spikey area with the gear duders. :(

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:24:22 »
brilliant work.
like reading novels.
also it's such a large level that i spend almost 2 hours to beat it.

well, the last part of the game is the hardest part..
it's not impossible but needs patience..
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAACBwgAAgYEAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]WaDF is the one of the best plaformer games I've ever played XD

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:08:34 »
Trilby, I think you mean the lighthouse? with the blocks hanging from chains? I don't know if this will help, but even before you get the High-Jump upgrade, holding down the jump button makes you jump slightly higher. And tapping it makes your jumps shorter. Which helps avoid overhead obstacles.

Lamarblake
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:15:34 by Talps »

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 20:20:06 »
excellent level, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you and please make more

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 01:38:02 »
That looks really good. Sadly, I don't have the time to play it now, but I'm looking forward to it. I hope there'll be some time, sometime soon.

Offline trilby93

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:27:43 »
Trilby, I think you mean the lighthouse? with the blocks hanging from chains? I don't know if this will help, but even before you get the High-Jump upgrade, holding down the jump button makes you jump slightly higher. And tapping it makes your jumps shorter. Which helps avoid overhead obstacles.

Lamarblake

Thanks Talps.

Now I'm stuck in hell. I'm at the part with the 6 or 7 surprise pillars. I'm assuming I need the hologram. But for the life of me, I cannot find it. *sadface*

Offline trilby93

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 04:37:01 »

Lamarblake

Thanks Talps.

Now I'm stuck in hell. I'm at the part with the 6 or 7 surprise pillars. I'm assuming I need the hologram. But for the life of me, I cannot find it. *sadface*

Edit: ...Well guess who figured it out right after posting that? ME. Anyway, that was the most beautiful level I ever played. Thank you for posting it. :]

P.S.: Does the purple key exist. If so, where? D:!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:10 »
Purple Key gets you the Secret Bonus Ending™.

Wow, I'm really happy that you guys are giving me such praise! I have started working on my third level, but I'm a bit Knytt-Story-fatigued, so it'll probably be a while before I make much progress. That's how it went with this; I started it right after making my first level, then stopped and came back to it several months later.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:35:23 by Talps »

Offline trilby93

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 00:13:34 »
Purple Key gets you the Secret Bonus Ending™.

Whaaaaat? *cries*

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 18:30:47 »
Uh, I'm stuck I guess?

I've gone down the well, but there's a place now where I can't get through with water in the screen with a bush-looking enemy. In the screen above also, I can't go right.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 19:09:03 »
You mean the green thing? Those will charge at you if you turn your back on them but move away from you if you face them. There was one in the hard mode of Nifflas' 'This Level is Unfinished' so I thought I'd probably be ok putting it in there.