[Hard/Challenge] Eurydice

• 117 Replies

Offline hqql

• View Profile
Re: [Hard/Challenge] Eurydice
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2011, 01:49:00 »
First off, I'm really enjoying this level! It has been QUITE the challenge so far, but I guess that's why it's called Hard :P

Everything was pretty managable up untill this point, I'm now confronted with this wall of upwardly crushing pillars (pic1) which seems almost impossible to cross (pic2). I'm pretty new to Knytt/Knytt stories so I was kinda hoping there might be a trick to doing this I'm not aware of?
I run up to the last possible point before I jump and make my jump as long as possible before I doublejump, but that last pillar is just SET on making me eat ceiling everytime I do this, and every other method of jumping I tried only slows down the jump, or speeds up my death, either way.

So... Please help? ^^

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:29 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline hqql

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2011, 14:29:57 »
I HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME!!! :D:D:D

Oh and F the different ending :P

Thank you Talps, this was very enjoyable! For me some parts were a bit too hard to really like but then again, I've only just started playing Knytt/Stories.

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:45 »
Okay... I've been playing this, sort of incrementally, over the past several days/weeks. So far, the difficulty has been surprisingly okay for me, considering I'm a card-carrying Crap Player. However, now I seem to be stuck - and I really don't see how there can be an escape from where I currently am. I'd be grateful for any advice. See screenshot below.

Dear Talps,

I live in the same city as headgrinder. We're friends and he turned me on to KS. I spent 3 years working in Quality Assirance for a video game developer, so sorry if I come across as opinionated, but I wanted to tell you how much FUN I have had playing this level! It is amazing. Great story. Wonderfully balanced, challenging gameplay. It feels good to overcome a hard obstacle, even after dying 10+ times or more. The use of storytelling and power-up aquisition and LOSS is awesome. I've thought so many times, "why oh why did I give up the umbrella?!" But it is really an excellently made, fun game. Hard, but fun.

That is, until I got to this part. I CAN'T get past it. Probably 1 out of 10 times I'm able to, with great finesse, tap my keyboard at just the right delicacy to not hit the spike ceiling. After spending close to 20 minutes on this spot, I have to say that it is not my game playing. It is the level design. I'm not having fun because I'm a bad player, I'm not having fun because this spot is a severe difficulty "spike." (pun intended.) Just raising the spike ceiling in this room by a brick or two would greatly enhance the user experience. The fact that other people have gotten stuck here only backs up my "point."

OK, enough whining and cheesey puns from a crappy player.  If you ever did an update to this completely awesome level, fixing the "graphical error" (which I missed) and tweaking this room to make it just a *little* easier, I think that would be awesome.

Several people have mentioned "cheating" through this. I will now reveal how much of a noob I am: How do I do this? I'd really like to keep playing this level!

Thanks for making such an awesome level!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:40 »
Welcome to the forum eddiebolt. We're not allowed to tell you how to cheat. The mods will edit our discussion to enforce this, but in this topic they tell you how to find out how to cheat.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2012, 12:43:18 »
Ha!  Eddie eh?  You can also sometimes "cheat" by using the editor, but this can cause problems with game play if there are any 'flags' that have to be triggered, like flipping a switch or talking to someone which causes something to change in the game.

I've never been a good enough gamer to secure the cheat code.  :`(

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2012, 19:23:02 »
I humbly confess that there's not a single flag in 'Eurydice'. This was my second level; I didn't start using flags (or COs, for that matter) until some time afterwards. Too much voodoo for my limited know-how.

I spent 3 years working in Quality Assirance for a video game developer
:O
so sorry if I come across as opinionated
:shocked:
but I wanted to tell you how much FUN I have had playing this level!
C)p
That is, until I got to this part. I CAN'T get past it.
:oops:

Man, you had me terrified with the 'opinionated' line; never before has that preceded good news!
It is really really great to get feedback, especially after all this time since I released this level, and from someone with your job! So thanks a ton for saying you're enjoying it! I had a lot of fun working on this level back in the day, and I'm glad it's still being played and is fun.

As chance would have it, I played through this level for the first time in maybe a year a couple of weeks ago, and discovered a variety of little points that I found borderline-frustrating; maybe I will release a new addition some day soon - wish I'd taken notes as I played through it now.
Sorry about the particular thing that's got you stuck now, though; I distinctly remember making and testing that part, and even remember that I only made the spikes cover the whole ceiling because it was more aesthetically pleasing than if they stopped part-way.

As for an immediate solution, I have three suggestions.
1. If you're not already, try playing the section in full-screen. You can full-screen-ify KS by pressing alt+enter. I think it's more than placebo that that does make some jumps and tricks easier; it might make jumping out of there possible.
2. Edit the screen using the level editor. (Assuming you know nothing about how the editor works) Open 'Eurydice' in the KS level editor, navigate to screen 1034,1027, press '5' on your keyboard and then left-click and run the mouse pointer over the spikes above the switch; the red boxes covering the spikes should disappear - the red boxes are what kills you; the spikes themselves are just graphics. Save and then go back to the level - you can resume your saved game without any problems.
3. Use the Top Secret KS Cheat; type 'Knytt Stories cheat' into youtube and watch the magic happen. I don't really recommend this because I find that once you start using the cheat, it's really had to stop (cf. Dark Sea 2).

Anyway, I'm really glad you're having fun, thanks for commenting to say as much, I hope you can make it past those spikes and I'm really, really sorry about the pitch-dark screens near the end. If'n'when you get to the end, I'd love to hear your full opinion. Also, if you haven't already tried out my other levels, they're posted in my signature (sorry, that was a shameless plug).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 19:27:07 by Talps »

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2012, 03:58:37 »
Talps! Great game! Really. One of the best KS games I've ever played. seriously. Up there with all the classic stuff - egomassive's work, Gaia, Frozen Mountain..Nifflas' original stuff - really - great stuff. But I'm confused as sh--....heck. Alright - I completed the game but.......

Anyway - can you answer those two questions: re: the fourth key and the secret/bonus ending?

thanks!!! and again, great game!!

Purple Key gets you the Secret Bonus Ending™.

Why would you do that!?

Seriously. Why?

Now we have to play the game from SCRATCH(!?) to get it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 18:34:13 by seattalite »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2012, 10:31:15 »
I'm afrad I don't have answers to your questions but please, please, use the modify button at the top right of your posts to add more if no-one's posted since you last did.

Double-posting is bad-form; quadruple posting is really antisocial behaviour in any forum.

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2012, 15:58:51 »
I'm afrad I don't have answers to your questions but please, please, use the modify button at the top right of your posts to add more if no-one's posted since you last did.

Double-posting is bad-form; quadruple posting is really antisocial behaviour in any forum.

Ok - I JUST fixed this last night - I'm not sure what happened but it reverted back to it's original 4-post form - so I fixed it again. and my reply post got deleted!?!? Anyway - as I said - my bad about the multiple-posts - it wasn't intentional - I'm just not current on internet etiquette. I was posting stream-of-consciousness style AS I was progressing my way through the game - that's all. Hopefully this time - the Fix/Edit will stay.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2012, 10:36:55 »
This would happen while I'm out of the country for two weeks.

Great to hear from you Seattalite! I'm really glad you enjoyed this level so much! To try and answer your questions...

There is something by the glowy area in the crashed ship, but it's not the purple key.

Spoiler: About the purple key (click to show/hide)

Your reward for getting the purple key is that you get to see the bonus ending.

Glad you enjoyed the level. ;) Good luck with your search.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 16:30:36 by Talps »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 15:48:45 »
I have played it once, but I couldn't finish it. Let's try again...

Offline ska

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2013, 17:21:56 »
"You do not need to replay the game from the beginning to get the purple key. If you reload your save you'll be back in the Underworld right before you left. You do need the hologram to find it."

Okay, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. I'm not being obtuse.   I have played and won the game TWICE and searched every nook and cranny!  No purple key.  On both my saved games I am at the last possible save point right before you exit the darkness, fly up, and win.  MY QUESTION IS....Can I go back now to get the purple key, or have I gone to far?

Offline ska

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2013, 17:46:33 »
umm....Never mind!  I just found the purple key!  I hereby declare this my favorite Knytt game of all time! C)p

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2013, 18:46:54 »
:D Thanks!
Sorry about the dark invisible section!
And the ludicrously difficult bit to get the purple key!

And thanks again! :D