[Hard/Challenge] Eurydice

• 117 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: [Hard/Challenge] Eurydice
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 10:12:54 »
Wah! I'm so glad there's someone still playing this :P

As to your problem, you need to just tap the jump button; even before you get the high jump, holding down the jump button causes you to jump slightly higher. So tapping it makes you jump... lower... ( :/)... so you can get under the roof spikes.

Man, just noticed a graphical error in your screenshot :sad:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:14:36 by Talps »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 16:48:31 »
But I *am* just tapping it.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 00:23:33 »
Ah, never mind. I eventually cheated my way out of that corner. I'm not exactly proud of that, but I wanted to see the rest of the level... :-(

Overall, btw, I really like the look of this level. I think I've said this before, but I especially appreciate your use of colour. The only point of aesthetic criticism I have is that the temple area is too... hugely pixelated(?) to fit the rest of the level, and especially the areas directly adjacent, and the other tileset you're using in the temple proper. But apart from that, this really is a very nicely designed level.

(I'm still not done with the level, so this is just a bit of intermediate feedback.)

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:10 »
Wow! this is great but
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 22:34:19 »
There's a lot of cave in part two. Which area in particular?

Thanks fort he intermediate feedback, Hmph, and sorry about you having to cheat. Though I didn't think there was anything was anything wrong with it myself, you're not the first person to complain about the temple. My favourite area, at least before descending, is probably the ocean rocks that the lighthouse is built on.

Offline Antikythera

• The Great Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 14:05:07 »
Brilliant level! I just beat it and I'm really impressed. You get a solid ten points for great storytelling, atmosphere, and diversity. However I have to dock you two points for the invisible maze that just went on and on. There's literally nothing I hate more in a level, so as soon as I realized what it was I activated the cheat without even trying it, and it STILL took me maaany tries. Please don't put another one in your next level. =[

It was hard as balls, though. Especially the area with about five or six straight screens of "follower" enemies, right before

Still, all in all, a really great level. Like I said, 8/10 in my book.
Menagerie - 25%
Skyline Spires - 5%
A Golden Hymn - 0%

The Great Machine, Antikythera, which grinds the blood of men into history.

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 22:37:04 »
I'm stuck at the first temple's entrance, with only the run power and umbrella. Plz help?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 23:26:37 »
I can confirm that there are no invisible mazes in my next level. (How subtle was that!)

The area before 'descending' (for lack of a better word) was kind of inspired by 'Monocromatica Grotta' by B-Man, only easier :P I like that bit, but that's just me. Anyway, glad t have another appreciator!

StraightFlame, read the speech of the knytts in the temple; they'll tell you where to go next.

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 00:12:36 »
StraightFlame, read the speech of the knytts in the temple; they'll tell you where to go next.
Okay, i'll see what i can piece together...
We've been trying to explore this temple, but progress has been slow. This is the main entrance, but...
In the mountains in the west there's an item that'll let you go in deeper. He'll tell you where it is.
Jump over a lake in the mountains where red plants grow. Trust me; the wall beyond is like smoke.
Whoa! I didn't notice the details of it!
Okay, now let's piece them together, and we'll get...
Jump over a lake in the mountains where red plants grow, then go through the wall which is placed on layer 2. There's an item there that lets you explore the temple.
Wait, WHAT? I made my own solution for this problem in the same way as Miles Edgeworth does? Whoa...

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 22:53:46 »
I am interrupting this thread for a moment of self-congratulation:

I am now in the underworld, without cheating another time. I am so proud of myself. :D

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:32 »
Congratulations :p

There were a few things I worked hard to avoid in making this, some more successfully than others. I wanted to avoid naming the protagonist and the King of the Dead. I also avoided using the word 'Underworld', just because it's cliched; it was the 'The Land of the Dead' or nothing :P.

I didn't want the Land of the Dead to look like Hell, so I avoided lava or anything demonic. A small section of it is actually slightly inspired by Underland from 'The Silver Chair' (one of my favourite books from 'The Chronicles of Narnia'). The only afterlife 'convention' I used was the river and the ferryman from Greek Mythology, as this level was inspired by a Greek Myth. But I wanted it to feel uncanny, sad and much bigger than the bit we see. I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers, but I wanted it to feel different to the 'living world', but bear strange similarities.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:42 »
Eurydice the name of my daughter!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 01:42:14 »
It's a nice name!
Word of advice; don't let her marry a guy called Orpheus.

Just in case.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 02:06:02 »
ok, i'm feeling quite stupid right now, but i guess i at least have the protection of the LoCP banner in my sig...

I have obtained the blue key, got the climb powerup and now (i suppose) need the yellow key. I travelled to the mountains, where a cat mentioned a tunnel in underground ruins, and something about a talking statue...
Where, may i ask, am i supposed to go?

Edit: nevermind, i found it.
but... that was a talking statue? i thought it was one of the ghosts talking to me... oh well.
BTW, this level is great :D between this and doing a bit of the round robin level i'm really getting back into KS! :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:26:51 by AClockworkLemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 13:36:35 »
Talps, you might want to revise the difficulty of this level upwards; to me it feels "very hard", not just "hard". It was hard up to the lighthouse, but there's a definite increase in difficulty after that. (I'm still managing, but it's currently taking me countless tries, spaced out over several days, to master most of the obstacles. With the average hard level, it doesn't take me *that* long. - Okay, granted, my sample of hard levels is very small.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 13:40:49 by Hmpf »