The Valley

• 14 Replies

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
The Valley
« on: June 11, 2010, 16:03:05 »
Here is my new tileset. It is exclusive for my new level "The Valley", which I´m working on.
I read some negative meanings about my tilesets for "Forest". Structure of "3 - walking" is better, no bricks.
And there are some types of strains, tree gradient. And there are some FLOWERS! (in "Forest" there weren´t)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Valley
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 16:54:39 »
I can see this being put to some good use. Mind showing us a screenshot of the tileset in action? :)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 17:29:35 »
Looks quite a bit better than the others, however, it could still use a lot of work.
The texture on the foreground tiles is good, but the colors chosen for it contrast a bit too much, and it might look better with lines thicker than one pixel.
The same texture just doesn't work for background tiles - maybe if it were scaled down to a quarter of its size.  The tree trunk is still awful, it's much too scribbly.  The grass and leaves would probably look better if they were less irregular - the grass especially looks rather lumpy.  The flowers look nice, no negative comments about them.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 20:06:38 »
Here are the screenshots. They are from my new level, called "The Valley", which I am working on. I am sorry to Nifflas, the tileset is very similar. But, it is green, it is a little change.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 20:08:10 by green.cookie »
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 21:17:31 »
Hmm, the trunks actually look a lot better in actual usage than they do in the tileset.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 15:56:13 »
There is another tileset, it is like "magical" forest. And there are semi - transparent tiles.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 17:14:48 »
You should make some thicker trunks too. That would be cool.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 20:00:28 »
add more stuff on the back! it looks really flat!  X-P

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:59:55 »
In the first screenshots 2-5, holes in the background would add depth. Let a gradient show through. In the new screen shots, I dont like the pattern on the ground. It leads the eye to the upper right. A pattern similar to the first tilesets would be better. The semi-transparent ground looks neat.

Also, the daytime forest gradient could be a bit darker. It needs more contrast with the foreground.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:11:07 »
You should take more time making the screens. In your first tileset you have 3 different ground tile squares. Mixing them you get a lot more variety in your screens.

Also there is uneven color differences which make it weird. If you make trees about same dark as backround gradient (but still so you can see them.) and grass and leaves darker. Same with backround tiles, they are way to bright.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 15:58:45 »
I made samples too. I hope you don't mind. I remade two of your screens. The first has a darker gradient, wide tree trunks, and distant foliage. The second is just a remake to add depth and interest. I made these to illustrate the points I made as well as some other people. I hope it helps.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 19:17:16 »
It is obvious that I don´t mind! C) I learn to future, how to make better levels (compare "Forest" and "The Valley").
I will repair, what said egomassive (tree depth, the level is not still released :)) and maybe other members´ opinions.
(If egomassive don´t mind, i will use his ideas.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 19:21:32 by green.cookie »

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 19:48:57 »
You meant this?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:36 »
That works too. I intended my distant foliage to go wit the trees in the gradient. I know it wasn't very convincing, but I didn't want to get carried away editing your stuff.

Salmonous made a level Mashu Prapa which has a similar look to your tileset. I'd look at that for ideas.