SHORT FILM - an action thriller

• 4 Replies

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
SHORT FILM - an action thriller
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:46:51 »
Hi there, Nifflas forum folk!

I've been inactive for a while and all my Knytt and game-related projects have unfortunately been on hold. The reason is because I've been working on a short film for the past 6 months (filming from January to March, post-production and editing March to June), co-directing with a friend, and it has now been released!

Please, take a look. Heck, watch it twice! And please, SPREAD the word to your chums. I've entered it into a festival which takes into account the number of views, 'likes', etc. So the more people who see it, the better! My goal is to hit the 1000 views mark in a week. (Please excuse the blatant self-promotion there.)

You can watch it on my website, here (http://bit.ly/bN21jK) as well as read some extra info about it. Or, you can watch it on Vimeo (http://bit.ly/blx2bl). The film is also available on my friend (and co-director / actor)'s Vimeo page.

Hope you enjoy it! If you have a Vimeo account, add me as a contact (the I'm also on YouTube so if you have a YouTube account, add me as a friend there too - http://www.youtube.com/user/uth3rdoul - but the views for the festival are Vimeo-based).

Thanks in advance for your support! Hope you enjoy it. There will be more to come.
~uther (Myles)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:14:40 by utherdoul »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: SHORT FILM - an action thriller
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 17:16:13 »
Very nice video.

I really enjoyed watching it from beginning to end. There was no part where I became bored. Very well done on that part.

The sound effects and the camera work is very good too.

The only suggestion I can think of, is that there's a bit more music in the movie at parts where music is playing. There are nice background drums, but a bit bass can do wonders here, emphrasing the effect even more, especially near the end.

If you have played Half Life 2, think about the moments where the action music is playing there, and give focus to the kind of music as well as its setting. Thats what I mean.

Last comment: I like how you have moments where the camera is blurred and you move yourself into focus, but it would work better if the camera would slightly set focus too, so the time you're in an unfocussed setting is less long. It looks a bit weird for what is happening at that time. (I hope you understand what I mean here :) )

I really am looking forward for your next video's. This one is awesome!
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 17:22:21 »
Thanks very much for the comments, LP.

This is far from perfect and my main beef is with the audio. It was all done in post-production because the audio equipment we had at the time was awful. Making the entire audio and soundtrack from chopped-together and drastically tweaked pieces from The Freesound Project is tricky at best! We wanted to keep the music to a minimum to try to keep the overall mood quite tense. (LOVE Half-Life 2)

There will be considerably more films in the near future (and a better website if / when I ever figure out CSS)!

p.s. The actor isn't me - he's my good friend and co-director, Benjamin.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 17:41:31 by utherdoul »

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 23:10:44 »
This thing is having a really hard time playing on my computer even if I pre-load everything first. Shame, too. It looks really good.

Edit: pre-load, fully buffer, whatever. :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 22:38:09 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 23:43:46 »
Uncheck the HD button... that should help. Also, hit the play button then pause it immediately to let the film buffer fully. Hope this works!