Knytt stories Round Robin

• 345 Replies

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt stories Round Robin
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2010, 11:25:13 »
I'd be up for helping out with another area. I don't have a specific one in mind, though.
If you're accepting new contributors, I'd be interested in doing an environmental route through the ice cave after the other route is finished (it may already have been, it's been a while since I've checked this out).

I added you to the list :D

@Headgrinderrrr: I love it! Great story dude C)p Though I do think that it makes more sense to have winter and summer be the two high points.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2010, 19:54:37 »
Always great to get good responses, thanks guys.  :D

@Green.cookie: I like the alt endings, and I was thinking that IF you find wood and simply go back to the cabin without figuring out how to help, than you get the bad ending.

Ah, so this brings up how do we get the good ending and end the winter forever, or create a balance of seasons, or whatever it is. 

It seems that lab 3 is going to basically be a back story location, except for the failed reactor area.  Perhaps at the end of this area there can be a large piece of ancient tech that must be turned on or shut down.  Perhaps the reactor itself was hooked up to it somehow, or broke down because of it.  I'm really not sure what that room should be yet.

Then we have Dr. Woods lab.  I don't know about the rest of the lab's contents, but certainly it seems to make since that Dr. Wood is trying to fix the eternal winter problem.  He seems to be the last survivor of his group and probably wishes to undo the damage done here before it is too late and... what?... the winter spreads?  That could be cool...

So, perhaps Dr. Wood needs our heroine to either get him something,travel to another location with something, or to do something somewhere.  Maybe we could switch the card usage around to make the reactor run in lab 3 the last action taken in order to get the good ending? 

There is also the cave to consider...

Oh, here is something.  Someone at one point mentioned a summer zone underground )which I guess became the time travel area?)  Perhaps for the bad ending there COULD be a small area somewhere, perhaps at the end of the cave, where a pocket of spring/summer exists where Juni can get some wood, and perhaps something else, some artifact of the summer goddess.

Or the object the spring goddess/her statue needs could be in the time travel zone, which I would like to see more tied in to the rest of the level.  I wonder though, would the time travel zone best serve the story as a point where Juni travels back in time to get something the summer goddess needs in the present?  Or a pocket in space time where the summer goddess lives, or else where, again, something she needs is located?  Perhaps when the area switches color from green to negative that is a result of the object being taken? 

Things to ponder, problems to solve in order to finish this level strong.  :D

« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2010, 20:18:50 »
way long ; did read
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME! That plot is great, much more epic than the current 'Juni gets herself some firewood' plot, and... um... did i mention great? Couldn't have made up something better myself.
Could we change to the 'eternal winter' plot, plz?

Spoiler: Random logic stuff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Offtopic blah (click to show/hide)

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #273 on: October 26, 2010, 20:20:39 »
While they are extremely rare, trees DO, in fact, grow in tundras.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 26, 2010, 23:44:15 »
Yeah, sorry for the long posts.  I get an idea and I just keep running with it.  :D

I didn't quite get what the complaint was in your spoiler quotes.  It is a tundra, and it is cold, right? However, perhaps it wasn't always a tundra.  In fact, I like the idea that this whole tundra Juni is in is actually at or near the equator but that the winter/summer god problem (chuckle) is creating the mind messing up reality of a tundra in summer land. 

(Wow, a short post!)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2010, 02:09:17 »
StraightFlame makes a good point. Those big trees are made of wood. Maybe there should be some justification inserted saying she can't use them. "This wood is green. It won't burn" Incidentally, the small dead tree on my tileset was intended to be the wood she found. Also, log cabins are typically built near forests. Their existence could indicate recent climate change.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2010, 00:07:13 »
I was also thinking that the usable wood would have been used up by the other inhabitants, and if Juni simply doesn't have an axe she's out of luck.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2010, 02:43:09 »
I had tons more time this weekend than I thought I would to work on the revamp of lab 3, and I'm pretty darn happy with the results.  (By the way, what the living crap made our bin 25mb???   :shocked:  Is there some de-resolution we can do to make that a manageable size???)

I added the areas I thought were necessary and put in a lot of vague back story hints (we'll still need the story of the "gods" to be introduced somewhere, perhaps the intro screen).  I also pulled the people out of the high security failed reactor area up until the last screens.  I think the very last screen needs to be a key an important room for getting the good ending, but for now I'm out of ideas as to what should go there.  It would also be cool, though I suppose not necessary, to have a place where you actually see the reactor.

Hope you all enjoy.  :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?g7lzic76g0acb7j

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 03, 2010, 20:04:36 »
Sorry guys. I've been a horrible host these last couple of days. Real life....

Anyways, AClockWorkLemon is up. I'll send him a PM letting him know.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 05, 2010, 12:51:58 »
I've been told by egomassive that the bin was corrupt.  I have an idea I know what it was and I'm hoping I've fixed it.  I also fixed a few other errors I didn't realize I had.  So, here is the slightly updated version and hopefully it will work for everyone.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k3dtheeo17w4eo6/Nifforum%20-%20Something%20with%20snow.knytt.bin

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2010, 13:43:05 »
 :S  :sad:  >(

Oh for God's sake, you guys, someone say SOMETHING!  It's been 6 LONG days since I first posted this.  Is there an ignore Headgrinder campaign going on?  Pray tell why??? 

Say you hate it, say I suck and should leave the community, say it's brilliant, say the bin file is corrupt, but please don't simply ignore it, for that would mean it is not even worthy of your attention, positive or negative.  

And yes, I'm WAY to emotionally invested in my work.   :crazy:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2010, 17:13:40 »
The bin is still corrupt  :sad:

(I know I probably shouldn't be downloading these "in progress" versions of the level since I'm not participating, and I'm sorry, but I feel Headgrinder's pain, after having made so many levels that received poor feedback.)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 07, 2010, 00:39:35 »
Well crap... anyone know how to fix a bin?  Do I just keep trial and error uploading new bins or what?

There was a weird error before where a tile that was on the 2nd (or maybe 1st) layer was showing up in front of the 3rd layer in the editor, but not while testing the level.

Should I just put everything in a zip and let you all unpack it?

And thank you Yohji for the response.  To be accurate, while negative feedback is in many ways welcome (though sometimes disheartening and distracting), zero feedback is the worst of all.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2010, 01:57:48 »
I replied to Bulba's PM about this, but seeing as it has not been passed on, i'll post it here.

Originally i was going to do the work on the level over the weekend, but unfortunately i have had an issue with one of my 2GB RAM cards, and as such it in for repair. I'll be getting it back tomorrow (hopefully), but i have exams for next week.

So yeah, just bump me down the list a bit, maybe one or 2 place, and i'll see how it is going then.

~ACWL
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2010, 14:15:37 »
Well, I've tested the bin I uploaded on my side, and it installed without errors, so it might be a download or server problem.  However, here is a zip you might want to try.  I renamed it so it won't over right anything.  If this doesn't work, I guess I'll be trying someone other than mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6e3ds7ds2yz6tl6/Nifforum%20-%20Tundra%20Trek%20w%20errors.zip