Knytt stories Round Robin

• 345 Replies

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt stories Round Robin
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2010, 16:06:13 »
Spoiler for Flag 3 in the first post is broken; you left out the "r" in spoiler. :P
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2010, 16:25:50 »
Spoiler for Flag 3 in the first post is broken; you left out the "r" in spoiler. :P

Cripes! *fixed*

Thanks!
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2010, 20:44:37 »
Its really necessary block the cave until Flag 3? it feels kind of odd.

Also. you will keep the powerups of the explorer route?, or they will be gone?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 20:47:41 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:08 »
Its really necessary block the cave until Flag 3? it feels kind of odd.

Also. you will keep the powerups of the explorer route?, or they will be gone?
Had I finished it, I would have removed the powerups, as I feared they'd probably break some other people's areas.  That said, upon "sleeping" in the bed, I would have had a cutscene saying "Ah! I feel all warmed up and ready to go!" so to better explain WHY you can suddenly high-jump and double-jump.
As for the Flag 3, no, I suppose it isn't truly necessary, but I find it a little weird for a player to just wander in there by exploration and end up finding the keys before they even know what they're for.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2010, 19:30:12 »
Hmm, I think I am going in. But, please, make it easy to me, some things I cannot understand. X)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2010, 00:52:03 »
Sigh...

I guess this was inevitable with a round robin, but to me this level has lost all coherency.  I can totally understand everyone wanting to through in their own ideas and spin on the level.  Heck, I think I'm the reason it veered away from the tundra tileset in the first place!  But now it feels like the whole level is little more than random bits.  It is just not single minded (ha!) and cohesive enough. 

I think it could be saved with just a small amount of pruning and a lot of tying loose ends together.  The strange thing is I like all the areas!  The cave is nice, but it is incomplete.  The labs are looking good, but they don't feel like they have anything in common.  They are too random in purpose and difficulty.  The alternate time area is, well, cool, but it feels as if it has nothing to do with the rest of the level other than it has a scientist in it.  It just isn't tied in enough.  The level is so random it is a pain to play through just to get to the new areas. 

Any chance we as a group can discuss ideas on how to pull this together rather than keep going independently of each other?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2010, 03:10:50 »
Sigh...

I guess this was inevitable with a round robin, but to me this level has lost all coherency.  I can totally understand everyone wanting to through in their own ideas and spin on the level.  Heck, I think I'm the reason it veered away from the tundra tileset in the first place!  But now it feels like the whole level is little more than random bits.  It is just not single minded (ha!) and cohesive enough.  

I think it could be saved with just a small amount of pruning and a lot of tying loose ends together.  The strange thing is I like all the areas!  The cave is nice, but it is incomplete.  The labs are looking good, but they don't feel like they have anything in common.  They are too random in purpose and difficulty.  The alternate time area is, well, cool, but it feels as if it has nothing to do with the rest of the level other than it has a scientist in it.  It just isn't tied in enough.  The level is so random it is a pain to play through just to get to the new areas.  

Any chance we as a group can discuss ideas on how to pull this together rather than keep going independently of each other?
The main reason the cave remains incomplete was because I was unable to complete it (which would not have come to pass had it not been for some unexpected events for me IRL), but yeah, you're right. All manners of cohesiveness are, well... lacking.  We should just take a week or two off from actually working on the level to discuss it with each other, or perhaps we just say, "Oh, I'll do this," and pass it around based on that.

In any case, a sort of "meeting" of some sort may be useful to pulling together a logical design on this level.  Heck, we could even discuss putting it together as we're having one particular person working on it, so the person can change the map based on the ideas that flow through.  We should probably also heavily discuss giving some actual reason for certain areas to be where they are--the alternate time area, for instance.  Not to mention that one thing I disliked while working on the level was that I felt kinda' like I was completely restricted to adding my own bit instead of having the possibility of going over certain areas and maybe changing them a little bit.

I'm all for the idea, myself.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:14:43 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2010, 03:43:35 »
I've had thoughts along the same lines. I was thinking that we should have this discussion at the beginning of round 2. At that point we could fashion a story that fits what we have, decide what needs to be added to create a complete and coherent level, and take volunteers for the remaining tasks.

In the meantime, I think we should let the remaining creators on round 1 continue under the existing rules. There's no reason they shouldn't get the freedom the rest of us have had.

By the way, sorry I made the Lab tileset so awesome. I feel like it's dominated the level.

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2010, 17:28:09 »
 :sad: Antikythera is skipped.

ieatatsonic: you're up.

Please let me know that you're working on the level in less than 3 days, to avoid being skipped. Either via PM or simply posting in this thread.

Offline ieatatsonic

• I've only eaten there like 3 times
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2010, 23:36:02 »
I'm working on it.

EDIT: Where can I get the most recent version of ther level, and where do I upload it to?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 23:09:49 by ieatatsonic »
YOU HAVE THE INSANITY OF A MANATEE!

« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2010, 08:07:33 »
You can get the most recent version here, and about the uploading thing, i'd recommend PM-ing it to bulbapuck.

Edit: Whoops, forgot link. Fixify'd it.

Offline ieatatsonic

• I've only eaten there like 3 times
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 03, 2010, 22:03:33 »
Yeah, sorry, but I completely forgot about this, so I didn't do it. Sorry.
YOU HAVE THE INSANITY OF A MANATEE!

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 04, 2010, 09:04:43 »
That's too bad, man :(

green.cookie is up. He's quicker then me so he's already started working on it :p

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2010, 14:58:38 »
Green.Cookie is done :)

Download here: http://www.uloz.to/6138849/nifforum-something-with-snow-knytt-bin

Green.Cookie was the last contributor to this level, so now the second time participants are up.
It's our job to finish up this level. Now first on the list is me, but I'm far to busy right now. So Headgrinder, you're up.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2010, 14:03:36 »
Oh crap!  Wow, uh... hang on!  I was serious about that "lets discuss how we can tie this all together" thing and I'd personally like to hit the pause button long enough to have that conversation. 

My personal vision, from the start of the collaboration, was for a landscape of people above ground, but an almost creepy lack of them below grown in the odd abandoned labs.  I envisioned a collaborative story where everyone adds a little more to the back story of what they where doing in the lab and what went wrong.  Things have progressed WAY out of that area, however, but perhaps at least some of that can be salvaged in Lab 3. 

I'd like to have permission to tweak Lab 3 into what I envisioned it as being, a mysterious and totally abandoned area with a semi-spooky storyline.  This would involve removing people and replacing their dialogue with fitting sign writing.  I would also like to remove screen x980y1000 and x982y1001 with 2 new areas which will be the playground for the back story I was referring to.   Very important to me was the odd symbols and how they would be used as a kind of archaic meets science symbol, and I really wanted x980y1000 to be a series of rooms that showed that.  It seemed obvious to me for some reason that that would be what would happen their, but obviously it's just my own personal insanity.  %-D 

So, if I can have permission to do my renovations to lab 3, I'll be very happy.  I won't change the challenge area except to remove the people and perhaps add some story line to the room at the end of the challenge... yeah, in fact if it is ok, I might want to make that room (x987y1004) much more significant to the story as it currently seems a strange place to have such high security: why protect a bunk bed and a computer THAT well? 

EDIT:

I realized after I wrote that this morning that I really never talk about how to unify the level, or how "my" area would help do that.  It seems that the main tie that binds this level is a series of labs researching teleportation.  We have lab 3 which may or may not be abandoned, and lab 4, which having another look seems to have only one scientist still working there.  I think if we tweek the dialogue to explain why 1 lab is abandoned and the other is almost so, we'll have taken a big step towards unifying the level. 

Also, their is the time travel device.  I don't like it's location as it is really random.  It might have made more since of this portal device were linked up to some kind of "magic" stone work, but it's hard for me to make since out of that device being in an ancient ruin.  I suggest we have it in a small lab 1 instead.  Also, it might make more since to say it is a dimensional gateway rather than a time machine.  Dimensions are always easier to handle that time travel.  :D 

I think the cave at the far left is an interesting but so far random inclusion.  Lets, again, pull that area together with either the ancient areas or the 2nd lab.

One of the main things I haven't seen that I was hoping to see, is the idea of an ancient technology of portals represented by the statues.  We have a cool elevator, but I was thinking of something more.  I'd like to try to do a little of that with my lab 3 renovations, but it would be nice to see more.

And let me say these are ALL JUST ideas.  I'd love to hear more, and if you really want to just shoot down my whole set of ideas, go ahead.  I DO realize this is a collaboration, I just get really excited about story lines.  :)

Finally, let me point out that I may only have time to do a sketch of what I would like to see happen in lab 3, as I have very little time to give to this, but REALLY want to contribute. 

Oh, and sorry for how long this is.  :/