« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2010, 17:27:32 »
You can replace the music if you really want, I guess. I like it, though. :(

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt stories Round Robin
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2010, 19:01:44 »
Is it my turn now?
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2010, 23:35:56 »
@Feline Monstrosity: yes, it's all you!  Go forth and create genius!  I suppose we should keep the new deadline day as Tuesday so you can have a full 7 days. 

@Razzorman: Like the contribution!  Good expansion of the plot.  The animation is great, as is...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

And on a side note, if we had kept the 5 screen limit, I wouldn't think animations would count towards that limit, but only playable screens, like with "cloud screens," those screens you put in there just to not have a purple screen.  But at any rate, I guess I think the 7 day time limit keeps the level from growing too much from a single contributor. 

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2010, 10:53:39 »
@Razzorman: Like the contribution!  Good expansion of the plot.
More like decapitation. :P
The only thing I did plot wise was remove sign b from the entrance of the lab. I thought it would be weird if we are going to have doctors alive in the labs and nobody has been to the door in 2 whole years.

Also, have a look at the attachment.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 17:05:14 »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2010, 01:44:38 »
@Razzorman:  Well, you added an ice cave with ancient tech.  That, to me, is plot development, or at least more so than simply adding more caves and snow. 

But as for changing the sign B... hmmm poop.  Tell ya what, what if Dr. Wood is in a different Lab, one actually occupied?  I only quibble because I felt that sign added a great deal to the mood of the lab.  And besides, that way you don't have to change my contribution.  :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2010, 05:42:28 »
Changes to other people's contributions shouldn't be made without author consent. I ran around for a while trying to figure out where that sign went. I do like the parts you added Razzorman. I guess I should put a reactor in the lab tileset. Do you think living-quarters furniture should be added? There are plenty of tilesets out there with furniture on them. I was thinking of adding some blood smears and dead bodies Dungeon by Evangelos style, but I want to know if that's the aesthetic were going for; visible destruction and gore versus spooky nothingness.

On Pick yer Poison's music, I think it depends on what you do with the area. If you put something fun and lighthearted, a village of snowmen or an elven toy factory, then it would be good music for that. That's what round robins are all about. You see what others have done and you let that inspire your addition. The whole ancient tech and mysterious lab thing doesn't need to be the only plot thread.

Speaking of plot, the opening premise should involve Juni visiting an elderly or sick friend. They ask her to get some wood for a fire.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:43:59 by egomassive »

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2010, 11:36:55 »
I know I'm not really part of this project, but I like to give my opinion now and then. Can't wait to play the finished product.

Anyway, in my opinion, that "spooky nothingness" is actually much scarier than blood and gore, because you're always expecting something to jump out at you when there's actually nothing at all. You can also try to use both and balance them out. Think of the System Shock games, especially the second one: there's plenty of enemies and corpses and blood, but there's also a fair share of empty offices and hallways with nothing but furniture and those chilling audio logs in them.

And about the furniture tilesets thing, I think that there's no suitable furniture tilesets out there. It's a lab, so the furniture has to be just like the equipment: metal, sterilized, simply practical instead of being aesthetically pleasing or comfortable.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2010, 13:31:37 »
The Thing!  That was a great movie!

Yeah, I thing blood and bodies aren't the right direction here.  There is the red 'Keep out!" but that doesn't necessarily have to be blood, and even if it is, the lack of bodies says something about how that sign got there. 

I would appreciate backing up the changes made to my area, and don't mind doing it myself.  After all, as I've said, we can always have another lab and I do think it is better not to change what others have done.

I think I agree with Yukabacera on the furniture.  I think we're wanting sterile, utilitarian simplicity.  Bunks and drawers set into the walls, maybe a closet, and perhaps simply a door marked with a shower icon for the bathrooms.  Unless someone wants to make a shower scene.  8-((

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2010, 16:28:30 »
OK, maybe just a smear or two. We will see.

I know I ought to make furniture, but I'd hate to make it and then have Paula stop by and say, "Wasn't there a public tileset just like this?" Then Googoojoob would chime in with, "Yes. It's in this level which only I have. Here it is." Then I will say, "Guess I should have asked before I expended such effort." Anyway, my last reply was me asking before expending such effort.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2010, 17:11:18 »
On Pick yer Poison's music, I think it depends on what you do with the area. If you put something fun and lighthearted, a village of snowmen or an elven toy factory, then it would be good music for that.

Glad to know someone sort of saw what I was going for there. :^^: I was thinking it would be happy music because you were leaving the oppressive snowstorm.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2010, 12:19:25 »
No blood smears yet, but a lot of nice stuff so far. This is shaping up to be one of my best tilesets. Also, I made a gradient to allow for a little more freedom to decorate. The beds can be overlapped with the locker and foot-locker for a compact layout. The plant is supposed to be fake, that's why its still green despite being underground and un-watered. The wall-switches are made to work with the blue conduit, but this will require overlapping if the conduit connects on the right or bottom.

The 3 sets I've made for this are filling fast. If there are any special tiles you future turn takers want this is the time to speak up.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2010, 14:46:19 »
your tilesets make me sad my turn's already been egomassive, they're amazing C)p

And I'm back from my vacation now, thank you headgrinder for taking care of the thread while I was gone!
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2010, 17:00:50 »
Those are amazing Ego!  Is that a soda machine???  YES!

But back on the number of turns, which I don't think we ever fully answered, we are talking about being able to go at least 2 or 3 times, right?  At LEAST after we've run out of volunteers so we can finish it. 

Of course, I for one don't care how big this level gets as long as it is progressing towards an end we can eventually reach.