Knytt stories Round Robin

• 345 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Knytt stories Round Robin
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:50 »
That looks nice Headgrinder, especially the ice, but can't you do the snow with layers? Idk, I haven't tried it. The no edit tag is mainly to keep us from ending up with multiple conflicting sets. Post your version of the tileset. I'll approve it as is, or adjust things and repost.

Here is what I've got for the lab so far. It says no edit, but I obviously intend for Headgrinder to add his symbols. Headgrinder, you don't have to use the whole area. You can go larger than what I've designated, but keep in mind that we want to put the symbols on the cave set which is quickly filling up. If need be the surface things, e.g. igloo, could be moved to another set since no one has used them yet. Also if you want to make your own lab equipment, feel free. I'm continuing to work on this set too, so those improvements will need approval.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2010, 01:05:31 »
The snow didn't work on a 45 degree ground tile because the ground tile totally covers it.  So, no, it just layers behind the ground tile.  It kinda works with the extra long snow hang, but it's messy and very limited.

As for the ice, that was a quick version.  I think I want the icicles to be a little more like the snow hang, but I'll also make them coming up from the ground.  I should need around 6 tiles for that, though I could possible use less.  I used 4 for the new snow hang.  I'll work those up asap and post my mods of the tileset.  Then we can decide what to ax if we need to.

I'm liking this collaboration stuff, and I think this is looking like a good game.  :)

EDIT:  Oh, and great looking lab by the way!  Love the small scale equipment.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2010, 03:33:32 »
Ok, I've had more time this week than I thought I would, so I'm already done.  I just gotta figure out how to post it.  Can I e-mail it to someone? 

Anyhow, I'll post the mods I made to the two tilesets.  I ended up not doing the icicle thing.  Too much work.  Someone else is free to take it over though.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2010, 03:49:08 »
You can upload to mediafire or knyttlevels or something and then post the link.

Or just mail it to me ( jakobk@student.chalmers.se ) and I'll upload it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 13:01:16 by bulbapuck »
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2010, 04:53:05 »
Oh heck, I didn't realize you didn't need to make an account with mediafire.  Nice.  I have an account with so many freakin sites I never visit that I try to never sign up for anything anymore.  At any rate, here is my contribution... I think.  I'll test it.  

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jf33w2hroj

Yes!  All good!  Wow, way too easy.  :D

EDIT:  We should come up with a way for people to 'sign' their screens, like each person choose an unused costume object number as their "signiture."  That way we know who did what.

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2010, 14:53:11 »
Very nice contribution Headgrinder :D

AClockworkLemon, You're up. Please let us know that you've recieved the level.

EDIT:  We should come up with a way for people to 'sign' their screens, like each person choose an unused costume object number as their "signiture."  That way we know who did what.

I'm thinking about writing what screens people made in the first post along with comments from the author of the screens. This way, people can know what to edit. For instance, I would have added some save spots to my screens if I could..

2 more things I wanted to bring up:

I'm considering signing myself up a second time. This would not be against the rules, but I'm wondering if it's okay with you guys.

And also, I found a wallswim. Go from the screen furthest to the right one step left and you'll find a small wallswim. Should be edited by someone.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2010, 17:13:55 »
O heck yeah go again!  Me toooooo!  This is too good to let die because there wasn't enough people to only go once! 

I actually just assumed we would recycle the order we already have, but I could see where not everyone might want to go again... I suppose.... 

Anyhow, I suggest that when you post your contribution, you say whether you want to go again or not.  That way their is no questions and we can just keep rolling. 
I might also suggest that people new to the project get put in asap rather than at the back of the list, just to keep interests up.  But I don't know, that is just a suggestion and we wouldn't want to turn off people already in the collaboration.  Thoughts?

And it might be too early to mention this, depending on how big we want to make this, but how shall we aim this gun?  Meaning, are we going to let this go on until it hopefully finds an ending by the collective unconscious, or shall we be thinking about how it should end?  I think the former is possible, though requires a lot of trust that each individual contributor is thinking about how the level could end.  The latter would work, but would be a pretty big spoiler because we would all know pretty much where things are going ahead of time.  Thoughts?

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2010, 22:35:30 »
I actually just assumed we would recycle the order we already have, but I could see where not everyone might want to go again... I suppose....
Anyhow, I suggest that when you post your contribution, you say whether you want to go again or not.  That way their is no questions and we can just keep rolling.
I might also suggest that people new to the project get put in asap rather than at the back of the list, just to keep interests up.  But I don't know, that is just a suggestion and we wouldn't want to turn off people already in the collaboration.  Thoughts?

But how many times would we roll around? How many times can a person have a go at it?
I'd rather stick to the "everybody works on it once" schedule, since we actually have to finish the level too.
At the moment, this isn't a very big project, and I'd like to keep it small and simple.

The risk with letting this become too ambitious is that some people will want to work on it way too much, to the extent that it never gets done, while others will get bored and leave, since they feel that the level isn't going anywhere.
Then even the more serious participants leave because they get tired of it.
In the end, we are left with a large but unfinished level that nobody has the will to complete.

I've seen that happen a lot, but I'd like to get a finished level out of this. For me, just a mid-sized environmental is fine.

And it might be too early to mention this, depending on how big we want to make this, but how shall we aim this gun?  Meaning, are we going to let this go on until it hopefully finds an ending by the collective unconscious, or shall we be thinking about how it should end?  I think the former is possible, though requires a lot of trust that each individual contributor is thinking about how the level could end.  The latter would work, but would be a pretty big spoiler because we would all know pretty much where things are going ahead of time.

The latter. Definitely the latter.
We could get a few simple story ideas, and set up a poll or something. :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:41:34 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2010, 02:24:46 »
I suggest creating a story outline. Details can then evolve from the level. This will allow a round-robin quality while maintaining direction.

Again, I think there should be a moderator who can handle all the edits, like wall-swims, to previously made parts. I nominate Bulbapuck. Just tell the next person in line that you need to do some scheduled maintenance, and they can start when you re-up the level.

@Headgrinder: I like the additions you made to the tilesets. I think I'll remove the one tile of icicles for now. It wouldn't look right with just one. I was avoiding icicles originally because this is an environmental and they look so deadly. I'll copy your symbols to the other set. I'll use your fire on the interior igloo/cabin set.

As for your level additions, I like how the story has started finally. I'm intrigued. This is the first time I've seen someone else use my tiles, ever. I like it. Those crates were meant to be on layer 3 though. I thought their luminosity would speak for itself. Guess I should have said something.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2010, 17:04:27 »
Story idea: Juni goes searching for someone/something in the blizzard (e.g. "It started to snow! I better go see if <x> is OK.").

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 02:26:19 »
@egomassive:  Thanks.  I kinda thought the crates looked layer 3ish, but for some reason I didn't use them that way.  

As for story line, I think the first thing I would suggest is that Juni is in this tundra cabin on vacation or because a friend invited her out.  Something where it is not her home, as Juni having a new home in a totally new world every episode just gets implausible.  I like the need for fire wood that was mentioned earlier and was hinting at that story line in my contribution, but searching for someone is a good plot too.  

As for the bunkers, I made the symbols and the number system open ended enough that there could be up to 4 bunkers with up to 8 labeled rooms in each.  Now, I was thinking that there could be a tie in between the ancient statues in the cave area and what the lab work was doing.  Maybe they where running experiments on a glowing orb the statues hold, or perhaps the statues produce the light themselves somehow.  As for the "bad things," we don't even have to know what that was.  All we have to do is have Juni gather some anecdotal information that hints at progress and disaster.  I like that because the mystery isn't kept alive.

Then, concluding the episode could be either finding her friend trapped in a lave, or finding something interesting in a cave or lab to heat her home.

That's my 2 shillings.  

EDIT:  Oh, and I would think that we should at least have 2nd and 3rd contributions if there are no other volunteers. 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 04:31:23 »
I think it would be great if Juni is looking for wood to heat her cabin. She meets some people in the lab(s) who tell her they lost Wood somewhere deep in the lab and are afraid to go look. Juni goes to find this Wood only to discover Dr. Wood. He gives her a power-up in gratitude.

Edit: The round thing is a Star Gate inspired warp point. Use with the purple piston. They would be most useful for jumping between labs. There's a glow on the cave set meant to help the symbols stand out. The specimen tubes come in 4 varieties: frozen, liquid, empty, and broken.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:37:38 by egomassive »

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 11:16:51 »
AClockworkLemon asked to be bumped to the bottom of the list, which means that it's Razzormans turn.

I'm gonna send him a PM to let him know.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 13:30:30 »
As for story line, I think the first thing I would suggest is that Juni is in this tundra cabin on vacation or because a friend invited her out.  Something where it is not her home, as Juni having a new home in a totally new world every episode just gets implausible. 
It doesn't have to be cannon, furthermore, it doesn't have to be the same Juni.

You sent two. :P
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 13:46:36 »
You sent two. :P

Yeah, my connection is horrid atm, I tried to send 8 I think :p The 8th was the only one I was certain got through. Sorry bout that.