Knytt stories Round Robin

• 345 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Knytt stories Round Robin
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 02:55:35 »
@Headgrinder: I based my example on Hmpf's example (See spoiler.) It bothers me that there's no snow on the brown tiles when the foreground and the distant background are solid snow. I guess it would be best not to layer the brown and white together like that.
Spoiler: by Hmph (click to show/hide)

@Bulbapuck: Nice start. It'd be nice if there were save points before voids. Better yet a few tiles to walk on, so I could turn around and go back when I see the void.

Everyone, it needs a name. I propose Tundra Trek. I agree with Razzorman on the cutscene topic. The focus should be environment. It should start with a non-committal opening sequence as in A Walk at Night. After that, leave endings to those who are inspired. As for Evil's scenario, I think objectives stray from the environmental classification. Complexities like changing environments (i.e. the cave collapsing) should be avoided because of the community aspect. Simple is better.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 03:02:38 »
ok :)

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 03:52:13 »
@Razzorman and Egomassive:

I see your point, and hence I will remove that rule :) *edits first post* Then you can disregard my cutscene image as it's pretty bad :P

There are some problems raised as a result though: We still need an introduction, an ending and possibly an alternative ending. And also some base story is needed. (Even if it's not commital, it still feels like it should be there)

So I assume we should discuss our way to a base story as a first step. And then descide what introduction/ending(s)(/cutscene(s)) to have, and get volunteers.

EDIT: Tundra trek sounds nice :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:53:44 by bulbapuck »
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:15 »
There are some problems raised as a result though: We still need an introduction, an ending and possibly an alternative ending. And also some base story is needed. (Even if it's not commital, it still feels like it should be there)
I don't know if having an alternate ending would work. Since we are all going to work on this in turns, and nobody will work on it more than once, putting more than one ending in the level might get too complicated.
If anybody has any good ideas though, don't mind my stupid ranting. :P

Let's keep things simple, story wise.
The plot doesn't have to be more complicated than an excuse for Juni to get out of the house.
Maybe that she has run out of wood for the fireplace and she needs to find some that isn't completely frozen.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 13:56:34 »
I don't have a strong opinion, and will go with whatever the majority decides, but I do have a lot of thoughts, so here they are:

I would like to see the option available to the individual to create a more complex plot, like while looking for wood Juni found an underground science lab and has to rescue something or other before continuing her wood search (assuming the scientists don't have wood).  However...

I've been a part of a forum writing round robin that a bunch of submachine fans took part in, but unfortunately there where so many crazy teens involved who just wanted to make crazy stuff up and get the character almost killed at the end of their turn that it was obnoxious and overdrawn. 

So, having an open option to make a more complex plot can only happen if you think you can trust the other game makers to not go crazy on you and leave you in a situation you don't have any interest continuing.  Plus, if we keep switching the plot around, the level will just get pointless.  I've been in DnD campaigns like that:  so many side plots the main plot was lost.

But one thing to keep in mind is that no one should HAVE to contribute to plot development, but can simply add screens which carry the last plot point forward. 

So, I like the idea of allowing side plots or adding complexity to the main plot, but the trouble is we have to be able to either trust each other to do a good job, or make tons of crazy rules and veto powers to make it work.   :/

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 16:35:59 »
I was thinking that there should be a moderator or two. For instance, inevitably there will be wall swims. Someone ought to have the authority to fix them. The moderator could also help direct the plot, keep it from going too far astray.

Plot-wise though I was thinking more akin to Gaia. The level will develop character as people build it. Then you randomly find endings scattered about. These endings relate to the level, but don't define it. It seems like the consensus is going in a different way though, so don't mind me I'm just here to make graphics.

Speaking of graphics, It sounds like I should make a metal bunker laboratory tileset. I don't know else to put in the Tundra Cave set. I think I may add surface objects like igloo's and stunted trees. I know you guys have ideas about what you're going to make. Let me know what you want.

Ooh! I think I'll add some statues.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 17:11:28 »
My turn? Alright, I'll get started.

And I'm voting that we do what Razzorman said: ditch the "everyone makes a cutscene" idea and make a base story. We can all have input, but it's better to plan it out beforehand so it doesn't look like a huge mess in action.

Also, I'm thinking that in addition to having the Tundra Cave set, we can also have a tileset made for buildings. That way, we can have tileset A devoted to outdoor screens, and tileset B devoted to indoor screens.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 18:03:36 »
I'm not sure what you mean by using tileset B for indoors and A for out. I put together some examples I pulled from different levels. The top set uses an interior that is scaled up from the exterior. It's bigger on the inside like a police-box. This is the method I was leaning towards. The bottom set uses the same scale for interiors as it does exteriors. It's a nice look, but either your buildings are huge or there is little room on the inside. Plus, there's always the option to black out the landscape when indoors.

If you have a preference, Pick Yer Poison, let me know.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 18:49:34 »
I'm in favor of small outside buildings which look like they are a little in the distant, and large interiors once inside with blacked out background.  This seems the most functional that also feels realistic.

Also, I'd love to see a buncker door, kinda like this:
  __
  |  |\
  | '|  \

Just a door and covered stair case in the middle of nowhere.  Always has an eerie feel to it.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 19:14:16 »
Well, what I meant was that tileset A is the tundra tileset, devoted entirely for outdoor scenery. The tileset B slot would be filled by a tileset featuring man-made building stuff made to look good with the tundra tileset.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 14:17:36 »
Well, I don't know about making sets dedicated to certain slots, but I am keeping transitions in mind. I'm planning an interior set to complement the one I'm making already.

Here's an update of the tileset and an example of the new tiles in use. The sample is not a serious attempt at level design. Let me know if you guys like the new additions.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 17:01:13 »
I like it. :D

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 19:37:29 »
It looks great :)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 17:17:35 »
Oh, it's called Tundra Trek! I missed that and just renamed it to Snowbound. X)

I'll go fix that before I submit.