Knytt stories Round Robin

• 345 Replies

Online bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt stories Round Robin
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 04:30:15 »
I guess I'm in.
Seriously though, If everybody takes a week to do this, then we are already up in 1½ month. :P

13/4 now

So, should we reduce the time limit? For me it's okay either way, so please discuss.

I'm glad to see this is going again. Are you posting the level as it progresses?

I think this is the best way to do it. It is a community level after all, and everyone should have their say.

For instance, Vegetal Gibber did a great custom object for snow. But as the entire level isn't snowing the transition between a snowing screen and a non-snowing screen may be a bit rough.

I feel that it's important for all to be able to play the level and give opinions on matters like this.

So I'll post in this thread Sunday :)

Anyway, after reading Headgrinder's thoughts I was wondering if I could make some tilesets to match Smashy's. Would that be acceptable?

It would be more than acceptable, it would be awesome C)p
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 09:08:51 »
I'm so in! :D

You must also add a minimum of 1 "story image" for the intro/end/cutscenes. It does not have to be good, it just has to be there.

but how do I do this? what do you mean?

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:05:38 »
I guess I'm in.
Seriously though, If everybody takes a week to do this, then we are already up in 1½ month. :P

13/4 now

So, should we reduce the time limit? For me it's okay either way, so please discuss.
Possibly. Another way would be to add an upper screen limit, say 4 or 5 screens, or you could simply ask everyone to please not try to "use their time to its fullest", or something like that. :P
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Online bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 12:26:03 »

You must also add a minimum of 1 "story image" for the intro/end/cutscenes. It does not have to be good, it just has to be there.

Great :D

I'm talking about the images you have in cutscenes. Everyone has to make at least one for the story to be able to develop.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 12:33:30 »
For instance, Vegetal Gibber did a great custom object for snow. But as the entire level isn't snowing the transition between a snowing screen and a non-snowing screen may be a bit rough.

Glad you liked it :)  But you're right about screen transitions. If you or anyone else wants to use that CO, just contact me if you want it customized for a certain screen (so that the transition doesn't feel so rough). Of course, any collaborator is free to edit the CO as he/she pleases.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 15:24:09 »

Great :D

I'm talking about the images you have in cutscenes. Everyone has to make at least one for the story to be able to develop.

So I take it we are talking about having one cutscene for each entry, or for each 5 screens?  That is quite a bit of cutscenes.  

I would think you can further the plot with either signs, or frankly with just environment.  Nifflas' original levels all had progressive plot without saying a word, ya know?  The environment was the story.

(I feel like I'm picking on you Bulbapuck!  I don't mean to honest!   :/  Just trying to figure out the best way for things to work, ya know?  That's why I'm the headgrinder.   :crazy:)

I guess I'm in.

13/4 now

Possibly. Another way would be to add an upper screen limit, say 4 or 5 screens, or you could simply ask everyone to please not try to "use their time to its fullest", or something like that. :P

Is there a problem with the development taking so long?  It seems like it is just the nature of the beast, ya know?  Plus, if the level in progress is being posted as we go, it is episodic!  Like what I'm thinking of doing:  http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3244.0

So, maybe there should be a save point at the end of every 5 screens, yes?  Unless of course you end with a cutscene, then that could be your save point.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 17:11:23 »
Having a cutscene every few screens will just be annoying. Keep in mind that we ware only making a few screens each, not 20 or 30. If we are going to even have a plot at all, it should be simple enough to be told by only using the beginning and end cutscenes, and maybe a few signs here and there.
Deciding that we are going to have lots of cutscenes before we even know what the story is going to be like is a bad idea.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 22:13:17 »
I've got a long way to go on this set, but this is what I have so far. It's mainly intended for cave making. I'm not happy with the blocks of ice, but the rest is pretty good. I'd say that you can start using it. I'll keep working on it. I won't move anything that's already made. I'll change the ice a bit, but it will still work the same.

I thought the ice would use the no climb object. Makes sense to me.

Tundra is a hard tile set to elaborate on. The snow is complex, but the ground is simple. The snow and ground have a minimalist style, but the rocks are highly detailed. My conclusions after more thought: Terrain should be minimalist and objects should be detailed.

Edit June 13, 2010: Removed outdated tileset to prevent accidental use. See my next post for current tileset version. Also, finished my thought above.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:32:00 by egomassive »

Online bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 06:01:34 »
So I take it we are talking about having one cutscene for each entry, or for each 5 screens?  That is quite a bit of cutscenes.  

Hahaha, no. That would be stupid :P

Cutscenes in Knytt Stories consist of a series of images. What I'm talking about is one image per entry, not an entire cutscene.

I figured this would be a good way to get people to shape the level the way they want to as they can add to any already existing cutscene, or start a new one.

This is another one of those crazy ideas I have sometimes. And if it's weird I'll happily remove it as well.

And headgrinder: I don't feel like your picking on me at all :P2 In fact, I'm really happy for the feedback :)

Egomassive: That tileset is OSOM!!!!!11!1 C)p

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 09:14:57 »
Just pretend like you didn't see the first draft of my tileset. I released it as quickly as possible since the first edit of this level will be released tomorrow... er... today. I wanted Bulbapuck to have the opportunity to use the snow to ground transitions.

Below is the latest version of the tileset and a new example screen shot. I've made good ice and creatures to freeze inside it. If there's anything you'd like to see frozen, let me know and I'll add it to the set.

On the subject of cutscenes: If everyone is to make a slide, then I think some will have to make potentially useful slides. e.g. "Inside the igloo Juni found a baby." or "No one knows why Juni jumped into the frozen lake, but something unexpected happened." You don't have to make an igloo or a lake in your section. Just make the image and put it in a folder named "unused" or something. Then when someone wants to start an ending, they'll have a pool of images to work with.

Online bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 20:58:53 »
Okay, I'm done:
http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Nifforum%20-%20Something%20with%20snow%20v2.knytt.bin

I attached my story image as it's dreadful and I don't know what to use it for :P (sorry)

Pick Yer Poison, you're up :)

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 22:21:37 »
So I take it we are talking about having one cutscene for each entry, or for each 5 screens?  That is quite a bit of cutscenes. 

Hahaha, no. That would be stupid :P
Cutscenes in Knytt Stories consist of a series of images. What I'm talking about is one image per entry, not an entire cutscene.
But your definition of a cutscene makes no difference from the perspective of game design. It's still an interruption of the game.

I figured this would be a good way to get people to shape the level the way they want to as they can add to any already existing cutscene, or start a new one.
But with a lot of different people working on it, with different opinions on both what the story should be and how it should be told, it will almost certainly turn into a disconnected mess that nobody can understand. In the end, nobody will have told the story they wanted to tell.

I guess that's kind of the point of a round robin when it comes to stories, but I'm not so sure it would work in KS. At least not if you limit the number of cutscene images per author to one.
The problem, however, with letting everyone do more than one cutscene image, is that there would be way too many cutscenes disrupting the gameplay.
For this entire project to work, this has to be a KS level round robin, not a KS story round robin.

This is another one of those crazy ideas I have sometimes. And if it's weird I'll happily remove it as well.
Yeah, it's kind of weird, seeing as it can't really turn into something good.
I say, ditch the "everyone contributes to the story with one image" idea, and establish a base story for everyone to work around.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 01:49:21 »
@egomassive:  The tilesets are looking great.  The ice looks tons better, and I like the frozen-in-ice effect.  You did say to ignore the first release, but I do have to comment on the flowers in the back ground.  They don't seem to work well, like a line of random dots breaking an otherwise smooth screen.  Some stunted trees would probably work better.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 02:20:46 »
aaaaaah! so its like "its snowing outside" then juni explores and then a cutscene comes and says "i need food" and then explores and sees a frozen fish and then says "i need to get back home but the cave collapsed" and then gets back home to cook the fish  XD