The best environmental levels

• 22 Replies

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
Re: The best environmental levels
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 23:02:11 »
My favorite environmental level, by FAR, is Quincent Cartographer's "A Walk at Night".  It's splendid.
Can't find the link for it though.

Oh, and "Camping" is really beautiful as well, though very short.
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 23:16:53 »
My favorite environmental level, by FAR, is Quincent Cartographer's "A Walk at Night".  It's splendid.
Can't find the link for it though.
It's on knyttlevels.[link] :P
Lurk more.

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 14:37:31 »
Wow.   8D  I've never played Mysterious Grotto before.  Just got done exploring it, and I'll be, if it isn't one of the best playground/enviroment levels I've ever played.  Huge without being overwelming, each area unique and clever, nifty use of secrets.

Gonna try Camping, next.  ^_^  Thanks for the levels, yo!
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 17:05:06 »
Massive indeed but not stunning in a visual way. Pretty basic scenery. But please, prove me wrong.

Actually, I agree with this. The level is mind-numbingly massive, but as far as graphics themselves go, I've seen a lot better. The prestige is all because of its size. That said, that doesn't ban it from being an environmental level; it just isn't a visually stunning one.

Wow.   8D  I've never played Mysterious Grotto before.  Just got done exploring it, and I'll be, if it isn't one of the best playground/enviroment levels I've ever played.  Huge without being overwelming, each area unique and clever, nifty use of secrets.

My level Outer Reaches was inspired by The Mysterious Grotto. It's a really defining environmental level, in my opinion (MG, that is).

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 21:28:16 »
There is no doubt that the best environmental level of all time is Gaia. It has over 1500 screens, 8 endings, four plot twists, a maze-like cave that runs under the entire world, and since i can't sum up quite good, i will say the last thing on this list will be 'etc.'

Massive indeed but not stunning in a visual way. Pretty basic scenery. But please, prove me wrong.
True. Big ≠ Good.
Gaia is good. Not the best though.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 02:45:08 »
Some of these have already been mentioned, but my favorites are:

* LG-28
[/b]
. :P

how does he make those trees behind juni move?

arent custom object supossed to be infront? since 45678 are front layers? :o

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 04:09:50 »
arent custom object supossed to be infront? since 45678 are front layers? :o
6 and 7 are in front; 4 and 5 are behind. There is no layer 8. :P
Lurk more.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 20:28:34 »
Probably going to annoy someone by posting on this oldish thread, but...

I only started exploring some of the Knytt user-created worlds in about the last two weeks, so this topic interested me since I prefer the environmental levels over the challenge levels. However, I wanted to add my comment to the brief Gaia banter that was happening here.

Of the environment levels that I have played so far, Gaia was one of the ones that I enjoyed the most not just because it was large but because there were plenty of characters to talk to and places to visit. I've played a few dozen other environmental levels and you can easily create a beautiful work of art level that feels empty and/or pointless. If you're going to explore, its nice to have something beyond just scenery to visit. There needs to be things to find, characters to talk to, and preferably something to accomplish.

Gaia was nice because there were plenty of characters, lot of things happening in the background (even if you couldn't interact with it much), lots of "how do I get there? places, plenty of secret places and several endings to try to find. So more than just having a big world that looks nice, it was a big world with lots to do in it. I've played several levels that were large and good-looking, but you can only wander through so many empty tunnels, no matter how nice they look, before you stop caring.