So I finally got internet out at my new house...

• 11 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
So I finally got internet out at my new house...
« on: June 02, 2010, 17:13:11 »
Only problem is, if I try to download a larger file, like FiNCK or The Sims 3 Create-a-World Tool (DO WANT), it downloads maybe a tenth of it, then stops, then the time remaining jumps up to some absurd amount, like five hours for a file of only a few megabits. Any ideas, tech savvy Nifforumers?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: So I finally got internet out at my new house...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 17:22:06 »
Provide us with more info so we can try to help you. What service do you have: cable or DSL? Are you using WiFi or ethernet cable?
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 19:32:53 »
Provide us with more info so we can try to help you. What service do you have: cable or DSL? Are you using WiFi or ethernet cable?
It's DSL (I think...) and I'm on wifi. I'm kinda far away from the router, but it doesn't work when I get close, either. We have a total of three computers hooked up to the router: my laptop through wifi; a desktop computer, wirelessly through a USB thing; and another desktop computer plugged directly into the router via ethernet cable.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 20:09:47 »
Sounds like it's an issue with WiFi. Try downloading the same big file both in your WiFi connected desktop computer and the one connected via ethernet cable. If you don't have this problem on the cabled PC, it's probably an issue with your wireless router settings OR the USB WiFi dongle for your desktop computer. If you can download the file at maximum speed on your laptop, that means the problem lies on the USB thingy.

If your laptop has the same problem, you could try changing your wireless network settings (WiFi channel, encryption...), although you'll need the administrator password for your router. I'd suggest changing the channel first (specially if your router has an "auto channel select" feature, it's better to set the channel manually).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:13:53 »
If you can download the file at maximum speed on your laptop, that means the problem lies on the USB thingy.
It's not necessarily the dongle itself.  It could be something in the computer, though that's unlikely.  Try using the dongle with the laptop, and try using the ethernet cable with the computer that's currently using the dongle.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:24:19 »
Alternatively it might just be that your internet is crappy. v :) v
If it's any consolation, mine is worse.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:01:32 by Dataflashsabot »

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 13:38:23 »
Maybe the USB dongle goblin messed up your interwebz!

Or maybe it just sucks, as Data said. (no offense)

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 14:27:56 »
try disabling your antivirus and stuff. i had the same problem until i disabled stream-checking .exes in my ESET Smart Security package
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 17:37:39 »
The first thing  I would do, is call tech support from your provider. There are chances that there's something wrong on the line that you can't do anything about. Especially with DLS, this is a sensitive area.

Also, make sure your upload is not stalling your download.

With a connection it works like this: you download a chunk of say... 1024 packages, then you upload a verification package. Once that package is received, the next chunk will be sent. If your upload is however already full, this verification package is stalled, and thus your entire download is stalled. Are you uploading other things as well? Perhaps via torrent?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 17:55:43 »
It's not necessarily the dongle itself.  It could be something in the computer, though that's unlikely.  Try using the dongle with the laptop, and try using the ethernet cable with the computer that's currently using the dongle.

Well, I assumed the computers worked perfectly with his previous internet connection and that he hasn't installed a new antivirus/firewall software. If that's the case and there's nothing wrong with the wireless network settings, then it's probably the USB dongle's fault somehow. It's a good idea to try disabling the security software temporarily, as ACWL suggested. Maybe the drivers for the USB adapter or the WiFi client application have some kind of compatibility issues with the antivirus/firewall app.

Still, I think the first step should be trying to replicate the problem on the cabled PC. That way you'll be able to see if the issue's related to the wireless network.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 22:19:18 »
try disabling your antivirus and stuff. i had the same problem until i disabled stream-checking .exes in my ESET Smart Security package
I'll try that, but I'm at my grandma's house (with good internet) right now. :)
Also, SCHOOOOOOOOL'S OUT! FOR! SUMMER! SCHOOOOOOOOL'S OUT! FOR! EVER!