[Environmental][Small/Medium?] Seventeen

• 20 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Environmental][Small/Medium?] Seventeen
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 20:22:31 »
Part of Headgrinder's reaction may be due to the fact that we're used to this sort of thing being a mistake. I had the same reaction until I realized that everything was an obstacle. Then, I knew it was intentional and it made sense from a game-art point of view. Tempering, this effect may make the level harder to navigate. You won't know what's solid and what isn't.

However from a gameplay point of view, it's annoying to get snagged on every little thing. You end up jumping constantly which undermines the realism. Technically, it opens the door for lots and lots of standing-on-thin-air moments. This all adds up to focusing too much on the movement mechanics and not enough immersion in the level.

I guess I'm sort of in the middle on this one.

For me balancing the art aspect and the gameplay is the most difficult thing in level creation (and one of the reasons why I will probably never be able to make a decent game). I get caught up creating a world that lives according to certain internal rules and relationships, and too frequently I don't want to change those to accomodate the player and provide better gameplay. I guess some games out of those that I love most have this exact balance, e.g. the first Quake... but then other games I love, mostly older stuff, kind of disregard the player's comfort as well. La-Mulana is a good example, I guess. But then I think I have already discussed this somewhere on this forum, eh.

Offline Azun

• Lol hydro pump
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 03:36:48 »
This looks very interesting - mind if I can have the link to have a look at this? :)
Pokemon addict. ^^

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 08:24:57 »
This looks very interesting - mind if I can have the link to have a look at this? :)

Sure :) Since it's forbidden to post links to unfinished levels, I'll PM you the link.

Offline Azun

• Lol hydro pump
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 01:32:22 »
This looks very nice so far, the tilesets really match it. I could help you a little bit on this level if you want - I will probably be able to get in some time for this level in between my other projects.

As a tip, try some Nature FX. Some rain and dust objects, probably clouds as well for the tiles, should spice things up a little. =)
Pokemon addict. ^^

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:00 »
I'll keep Nature FX in mind. Unfortunately, I don't have much time right now for KS, and I'm trying to use what little I have to finish another level... But I'll get back to you later to see if you're still interested :)

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 02:19:24 »
Can I have the link as well, please? This looks interesting.