KS Editor Mod

• 140 Replies

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Slight KS Editor tweak
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 12:26:36 »
About the long delay in saving, I remember other people having problems when running KS from a USB (pen)drive; in that case, maybe it's the way the GZip compressor works, that it's unoptimized for USB. The general lag is however perplexing: it could be that each time the editor window is redrawn (blinking cursor, tile dragging etc.) the program reads from the USB drive, which slows things down considerably, but that's highly improbable.

I might try it myself later.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 12:52:43 »
Hmm.. maybe I used another runtime to build the editor and your PC is too slow to run it properly, I don't know. I'll have a look at it.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2009, 04:36:07 »
that would make sense. I just bought an new USB ( my old one was too small). My old one was only 256 mb, but on my new 10gb USB, it all runs fine and dandy. it could have possibly been the usb's RAM more than anything
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2009, 18:02:08 »
that would make sense. I just bought an new USB ( my old one was too small). My old one was only 256 mb, but on my new 10gb USB, it all runs fine and dandy. it could have possibly been the usb's RAM more than anything

USB drives don't have RAM, but it could have been running off the old 1.1 speed (slow).
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2009, 19:59:05 »
USB drives don't have RAM, but it could have been running off the old 1.1 speed (slow).
Some do, for example mine. It's typically not a lot, but they can have some. (I assume you're talking about USB flash drives)

I myself run Knytt Stories (and the level editor) from a USB flash drive, and it runs just fine.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2009, 03:31:29 »
I checked the system diognostics on my old one, and it had 1kb of ram
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline TechnoGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2009, 22:26:05 »
I checked the system diognostics on my old one, and it had 1kb of ram

old what? USB drives don't have ram, and no modern computer will run off of that.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2009, 00:31:40 »
old what? USB drives don't have ram, and no modern computer will run off of that.
My USB drive

Everything Must Have RAM to run an application. for instance, a DS game chip has about 173kb of ram, which it uses to run the game onto the DS itself. generally speaking, or at least with USB 2.0s, the drive comes with a smallish amount of RAM so it can transfer the program into a temporary folder on the computer to reduce lag etc. my old one, however, had enouh for KSE, but not enough for KSEM, so it had to run it straight off the USB, therefore making it lag.

(at least thats what the instruction manual/troubleshooting said about it... XD)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:22:07 by a clockwork lemon »

Offline TechnoGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2009, 17:56:13 »
My USB drive

Everything Must Have RAM to run an application. for instance, a DS game chip has about 173kb of ram, which it uses to run the game onto the DS itself. generally speaking, or at least with USB 2.0s, the drive comes with a smallish amount of RAM so it can transfer the program into a temporary folder on the computer to reduce lag etc. my old one, however, had enouh for KSE, but not enough for KSEM, so it had to run it straight off the USB, therefore making it lag.

(at least thats what the instruction manual/troubleshooting said about it... XD)

ah, not RAM, but a cache on the disk controller. applications that are on a USB drive still load into the computer's ram to run. also, MMF apps create temporary folders with the application files in them. What brand was it? If it used MCL or whatever it is, it will re-write large blocks of data any time a change is made to the disk.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:14 »
terrific mod.
much more than a "tweak"
all of these add-ins are extremely helpful.

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2009, 06:36:07 »
terrific mod.
much more than a "tweak"
all of these add-ins are extremely helpful.
And incredibly easy to get the hang of.
Lurk more.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2009, 15:32:10 »
Thanks again, guys.  C)p
I probably should sort out some of the problems mentioned.
I also was supposed to add a "Replace tile" function, like flood fill but it for the whole screen,
not just the connected tiles... it didn't work properly, though.
I also was working on a settings editor that uses my own MMF extension Scintilla for code highlighting and autocompletion, all that stuff.
Maybe there will be a new release soon... if I feel like it.  ;)

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2009, 22:56:07 »
Holy crap this is super great. And it doesn't rewrite and screw up my custom object code like KSC does, haha!

Suggestion #1: I kinda wonder... Is there any way to actually have the custom objects be displayed in a size-proper box instead of that singular OBJ# tag?

Like taking the sizing data from the World.ini file for the CO and making a dynamic border appear according to the size of the object? I guess you'd also have to consider the offset values to make it line up properly.

Suggestion #2: If you can somehow steal and fix the cool code features from the KSC which displays the screen relevant code as you work on that specific screen, you would become more powerful than thirty Megatrons.

http://jerkdouglas.deviantart.com
 Hit the gallery and you'll find the concept directory for my game.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2009, 23:50:28 »
Sure, both would be possible. I'll see what I can do. ;)

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2009, 01:05:24 »
Thanks man. These options will really make things easier to place.

But just so you're not working for free...

http://www.gichrist.com/knytt/4look.jpg
http://jerkdouglas.deviantart.com
 Hit the gallery and you'll find the concept directory for my game.