KS Editor Mod

• 140 Replies

Offline Looki

• View Profile
Re: Slight KS Editor tweak
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2009, 22:13:18 »
Haha, awesome! Thanks!  XD
I'll start working tommorow - not sure about a release date.

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2009, 00:44:50 »
No hurry, bro.  8)
http://jerkdouglas.deviantart.com
 Hit the gallery and you'll find the concept directory for my game.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2009, 10:42:29 »
'ey JD, whaddaya mean with point 2?
anyways, im a avid fan of your current version cant wait 'till the new one!
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Looki

• View Profile
Re: KS Editor Mod
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2009, 13:34:39 »
Hey. I'm pretty much done with all the requested features and uploaded a new version. :)

New features:

* Open a world by double-clicking it.
* Hold down the arrow keys when navigating through the world.
* Custom objects are displayed on-screen if "Screen->Show custom objects" is set.
* In-built INI Editor with syntax highlighting:
---Press F3 or "Script" left to the tileset settings. Reload the original file by "Edit->Reload World.ini".
---You can press on a room's group, e.g. [x1000y1000], to jump to the room.

JerkDouglas, the CO's are actually displayed - no bounding box or something like that. Is that okay?

The INI editor might be messy. I haven't used it extensively yet. It works quite well, though.
If you hit F3 (or click "Script"), the editor jumps to the group of the current room, like [x1000y1000].
If there's no group for this room, it just keeps the position from the last time you opened the editor.
You can save the INI with the normal save feature.
As I mentioned, you can click on a room group to navigate to it,
which can be seen on this screenshot. It also shows custom objects.
http://clickteam.info/looki/Pictures/KSE2.png

The download link has changed to http://clickteam.info/looki/Programs/KS%20Editor%20Mod.zip

Enjoy! I hope no new bugs were introduced.  :oops:

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2009, 14:53:54 »
 This is already absolutely excellent.

So... easy... to use...

But.... there might be an issue. I tested one of my CO's that has a blank first frame. (it's something that fades in and doesn't repeat)

As you'd imagine, the object is totally invisible with the option turned on. But I can switch back and forth and see the object, so it's really no big deal. However, a hotkey for toggling the function would be a real lifesaver, as I'm sure other people will have blank first frames in their CO's.

Also, I noticed every time you do something in the Knytt Stories Manager that affects the world.ini, you have to "reload world.ini" to get it to show up.

--This of course only makes sense, but is there a way you could tie another hotkey to the act of reloading the world.ini? (ctrl+r maybe?)

Anyway, this is absolutely professional, man. I can't thank you enough for taking my suggestions. This mod of yours is about the only thing that actually allowed me to consider finishing my project. Because it's so insanely complicated and stupid. XD

And btw: A very excellent idea putting the script screen in the tileset area. One thing I know is that there's definitely no way that anybody is coding and painting down their levels at the same time, hahaha.

EDIT: A warning about the code screen... If you type, paste or add any characters in general to that screen, it will light up the yellow "save needed" warning bars. But if you REMOVE characters in any way, (backspace, deleting, or the cut command) the warning bars will not light up. If there's any way to fix that, I believe you'd have yourself a totally perfect program.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 15:24:42 by JerkDouglas »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2009, 15:37:21 »
This is excellent. Editing power increased! :D

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2009, 16:55:51 »
Wow, thanks for the reviews. :)
I'll add hotkeys for reloading and turning CO's on/off.
I'll also automatically reload the World.ini after KSManager is closed.
The warning bars: No biggie, fixed. :P2
I'm really glad to hear that you've decided to continue working on your project. C)
If it'll be as good as your art, I'll definitely take a look.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2009, 17:14:16 »
Hey, what font does the INI editor have for you? I just noticed that I use Consolas, but it's not a default font on Windows XP and below.

EDIT: Uploaded a new version that reads the font from EditorSettings.temp, the default value is Lucida Console, so copy the \Worlds\ folder as well.
I've also added Ctrl+O for toggling CO's and Ctrl+R to reload the INI.
The INI isn't reloaded after running KSManager - I have yet to implement that, it's not THAT easy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 17:23:09 by Looki »

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2009, 00:25:07 »
 Jeez, man. You took everything and one upped me, haha.

The font that I see in my editor looks like Arial.

Dude, these hotkeys totally rule.

The only issue I have is that while Ctrl+O makes sense, it is kind of out of the way... And currently, every control function that doesn't delete something is kept quickly in range of the left hand.

My thoughts are that in using this hotkey you cycle quickly around the map with the right hand on the arrow keys, and the left hand toggles the visuals back and forth to gain visual context for each screen.

Anyway, if you've had enough of my nitpicking, you can totally tell me to piss off. But I should thank you again, because you've just taken a boring rock, and polished it into gold.

I swear to God I'm working ten times faster than before.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2009, 15:22:13 »
Uh, sure, name me a new shortcut and I'll change it. :)
It's really nice to hear that somebody appreciates your work so much.  C)
Also, if you encounter any oddities, tell me!

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2009, 15:45:24 »
 Ctrl+D would definitely be my choice for the hotkey.

And believe me, man. It's even better to know you've got someone in the know who is working on your side to make things better for you. (or in this case, me)

Over the years, I've had to learn ten different image manipulation programs, five kinds of video editing software, music sequencers, animation programs, 3D programs and whatnot... And well, frankly, what I wouldn't have given to have the programmers of those things listen to me. And the one thing I really haven't been able to pick up is programming to fix the problems myself.

It also makes me more appreciative, because I've been trying to find a way to make a game for the past ten years. XD

Aaand I've been using the program pretty hard for a few days, and I haven't run into anything bad yet.  At this point I really don't think there are any problems left to fix, hahaha.

Also, if you want me to draw up anything for you, just tell me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 15:48:50 by JerkDouglas »

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2009, 01:38:24 »
Looki, thanks again (is it again?) for such a great program. This is one of the reasons I was able to create my (not finished) level in the short time it did (short when you consider). Now with INI editing, that's not buggy (aka KSLC), this is definitely a must for any KS level maker.

As for suggestions, the only thing I can think of are a few things in KSLC (multi-room param change, shift following, and wallswim checking (which i guess is useless anyway, as my whole level is full of wallswims skipped by warps XD))

Good work, Looki!

Possible bug: When pressing f3, the displaying of the scripting is weird (scrollbars, some text, etc.) doesn't show up until clicked on. (This is Windows XP SP3, using the windows classic theme). Not a serious bug, just a minor graphical/display bug

minor glitch: typing in the script editor toggles layers (not that important), MIGHT erase custom object sections (but i may have used KSLC since before that)
   EDIT: no, it doesn't. just KSLC

also, scrolling to change object/bank doesn't work unless holding shift, which jumps by 10. instead, it just scrolls the usually invisible script editor.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 23:22:52 by TechnoGeek »
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2009, 19:22:31 »
Sorry the delay, but here it is. http://clickteam.info/looki/Programs/KS%20Editor%20Mod.zip
I think I fixed the display bug as shown on your picture. I hope so at least.
I really don't think I can fix that "scrolling" bug, and frankly, I don't think it's that important - when coding,
you don't really need to change the object/bank, do you? Thanks for letting me know anyway.

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2009, 22:32:54 »
I really don't think I can fix that "scrolling" bug, and frankly, I don't think it's that important - when coding,
you don't really need to change the object/bank, do you? Thanks for letting me know anyway.
no, it happens whether the script thing is open or not, meaning the scrolling to change object/bank doesn't work, period.
EDIT: never mind, it's already fixed somehow anyway--might have been a fluke or the display bug fix fixed that as well

clicking a room's group in the INI pane doesn't jump to the room--not that I use it very much, but the readme advertises it as a feature

anyway, this is getting better and better! with the INI editing, this is probably one of the better level editors out there! the only improvement I can think of right now is being able to shift/ctrl-click on a shift to follow it or something, but the software is great anyway!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 22:44:38 by TechnoGeek »
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2009, 23:26:52 »
Hm, you're right about the groups. Weird. It should work, I didn't even modify it and know it worked before.  :/
Thanks for letting me know, I'll see what I can do about the shift following.