[Challenge] [First Map] The Township

• 18 Replies

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
[Challenge] [First Map] The Township
« on: March 24, 2009, 14:57:58 »
This will be my first ever Knytt Stories map. Go me, I guess.

I want it to be reasonably puzzling/difficult - aiming for the 'hard' slot but it could become 'very hard.' But more importantly it'll always be fair and skill based, no blind luck in this.

The gameplay flow will be fairly simple - you'll have most areas closed off at the start, and as you visit new areas and gain new powers you can reach more and more areas. For example, the level starts easily, as you look for the run powerup, which lets you cross one gap, then grab the climb powerup which allows you to reach an area back near the start. After that things start to get a bit more challenging.

Images?

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge] [First Map] The Township
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 15:06:41 »
Holy crap. Those screens look awesome. :U

Can't wait.
grao!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 15:09:12 »
It looks awfully plain, to be honest; still, we'll see how it turns out.

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 15:43:25 »
It looks awfully plain, to be honest; still, we'll see how it turns out.

It is my first level so it's 50% a learning experience for me. I definitely intend to go back to the stuff I built before to make them look prettier though.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 16:53:32 »
I like the waterfall in the first screenshot - combining two colours there is quite a simple idea which I, nevertheless, haven't seen in any level yet (I think). The other screenies do look a little empty, in fact, especially the second one (although, ironically, with this one, that might just be what you're aiming for) but some people prefer building the basics first and adding eye candy later ;) I'm working on my first level at the moment as well so I know the problem, I find it hard to get a feeling for what is too little or too much decoration. I suppose that comes with experience - hopefully you're learning faster than I seem to X-P

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 18:52:36 »
I like the waterfall in the first screenshot - combining two colours there is quite a simple idea which I, nevertheless, haven't seen in any level yet (I think). The other screenies do look a little empty, in fact, especially the second one (although, ironically, with this one, that might just be what you're aiming for) but some people prefer building the basics first and adding eye candy later ;) I'm working on my first level at the moment as well so I know the problem, I find it hard to get a feeling for what is too little or too much decoration. I suppose that comes with experience - hopefully you're learning faster than I seem to X-P

Yeah, the area in the second screenshot is supposed to be pretty minimal by design. The others will probably get more background stuff added later, and some more object based effects too :)

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 13:06:30 »
Okay, I'm watching this ;) One thing I've just realised is that the water from the waterfall is in front of the orange grass, which looks a bit weird in my opinion, considering that the mountain seems to be more in the background. But I'm aware of the fact that this can't be corrected with layer work because then you'd have to be able to put the water on layer 2 or the grass on layer 4. The only way to get the grass in front of the water would be to make an orange grass CO yourself (with only one picture if you want it to be static) and put it on an object layer higher than the layer that you've put the water on. I suppose that would look a little less strange :)

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 00:24:27 »
This looks excellent - you've clearly got an eye for design. This is one of the better-looking levels using the public tilesets. Good luck and try not to give up! It's easy to get halfway through the first level and get a better idea and end up starting again...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 16:58:52 »
3.png looks like a screen that has at least very hard difficulty.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 21:24:41 »
What tileset is 3.png?

If its a default one, could you tell me what number it is at the level editor?

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 00:41:58 »
I like the second secrenie.. it reminds me of The Malipulator a freeware game by Vitaren, but if this is your first level i think its gonna be great! C)p Also it will be the first level with map system so go you  ;)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 00:57:44 »

Looks pretty easy to me.  I think you could do it without any powerups, even.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 04:20:26 »

Looks pretty easy to me.  I think you could do it without any powerups, even.
Showoff. :P
Actually, it looks about normal. :/
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:19 »
Looks good, despite being a bit unoriginal  :/
Great use of the basic tilesets. You have a good eye for layout, now just add more "new" to it  :^^:

Offline Duffking

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 15:44:37 »
Looks good, despite being a bit unoriginal  :/
Great use of the basic tilesets. You have a good eye for layout, now just add more "new" to it  :^^:

I'm sticking with stock tilesets for now, maybe when I make another map I'll start trying to make custom ones, though I don't really know where to start when it comes to that kind of stuff. I am trying to come up with unique stuff, mind... trying. :) It's difficult to come up with unique visuals using the standard tilesets though... I'd rather just use what's there fairly well for now. I hope at least one of the puzzles will be new to people :D