Norton Hates FiNCK

• 9 Replies

Offline willomo

• Tophats and gravy.
    • View Profile
    • The Monoverse
Norton Hates FiNCK
« on: May 25, 2010, 00:02:27 »
I downloaed the FiNCK installer, eager to play, but when I opened it norton blocked it. It didn't do that for the pre-release, so whats going on?
The elephant is a graceful bird,
It flies from bough to bough.
It nestles in the rhubarb tree,
and Whistles like a cow.

I'm back baby.

Re: Norton Hates FiNCK
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 00:19:33 »
Norton is pretty bitching about Multimedia Fusion games. Just ignore it and add it to the exceptions. I scanned it with Virustotal and got 0/41 found a virus.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/b1d0e94c385d45db402ad766bd82c26feb285a464c272665714041c28d8a7f69-1274739483

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:17:41 »
Norton always deletes my games before I can play them. >( That's why it's almost always turned off.
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:28:16 »
Norton is pretty bad in these cases. Thats why I don't use Norton in the first place. Avira Antivir FTW!
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 17:53:10 »
I hate Norton. I use AVG free and have no problems with it!
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 19:41:35 »
Norton hates everything, and almost everything hates Norton.  (Though I wouldn't recommend AVG either, not anymore.  Spybot, Avast, and Microsoft Security Essentials are probably the best choices available, all free for personal use.)

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 21:22:25 »
I turned off Norton SONAR, which stops 'viruses' (every single program I own) and deletes them. However, it still keeps me from getting them in the first place, so I'll be fine. Besides, I'm getting a new computer soon anyway, so I don't especially have to worry about destroying it for now. That's just my solution, though.

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline willomo

• Tophats and gravy.
    • View Profile
    • The Monoverse
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:37:32 »
Just ignore it and add it to the exceptions.
How does one do that?
The elephant is a graceful bird,
It flies from bough to bough.
It nestles in the rhubarb tree,
and Whistles like a cow.

I'm back baby.

Offline bunnrey

• still working...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 22:07:44 »
Norten thought Saria and Knytt Nano where viruses for some reason.
and the funny thing is, I don't use Norten! I use another security software and one day NORTEN DETECTED SEVERAL VIRUSES popped up. crazy huh!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 22:31:11 »
It's a problem related to Multimedia Fusion 2. For MMF2 to run, it extracts its runtime and a bunch of extension files which is placed in a temporary system directory (it's removed automatically when exiting the application, or if the game crashes the files are left there to automatically be removed by Windows instead). Now, let's say somebody creates malware in MMF2; the antivirus company will get this executable, and analyze its content. It's very unlikely it will figure out it's MMF2's events (the game script so to say) that makes the tool malicious, they'll incorrectly link the malicious behaviour to one of the extensions or the MMF2 runtime itself, and add that to the antivirus database.

That's why once in a while, every existing MMF2 application is suddenly reported to be a virus, upon which it's reported back to the antivirus developers who hopefully fixes it. Some antiviruses (like Comodo which I use) don't seem to have this problem at all, while others keep reporting MMF2 stuff all the time like they didn't learn anything from their previous mistakes.

Basically, it's really annoying :(