Soo... that's it out then!

• 10 Replies
Soo... that's it out then!
« on: May 24, 2010, 18:37:44 »

Re: Soo... that's it out then!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 00:20:22 »
That's no excuse to not go and buy it for a friend. Then you help two people out! nifflas and a friend. double generosity.

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 20:47:57 »
I´m sorry Mr. Nifflas.
But even if you don`t care about atmospheric stuff your work is still filled up with a great aesthetic wealth =D

And it`s fun of course  :crazy:
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 22:24:52 »
I actually care about it! Thing is, I need perspective, and the only way I can keep designing beautiful atmospheres is if I don't do it all the time. If I e.g. always put nature ambiance sounds in my games, it will become more a habit than something I really care about.

I don't have any actual facts about this, so it's going to be a wild guess, but compare Derek Yu's work on Aquaria and Spelunky - both are awesome games but with a very different focus. Perhaps it's because to be creative, change is needed once in a while.

Offline Vinterrun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 22:29:52 »
Dude,
you should stop to see to much cleverness in my statements. It was just a compliment ;)
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 22:32:37 »
Ah, sorry about that :) To be honest, it's not a reaction against your statement, it's probably me bringing it up whenever I get a chance to because I'm afraid people will be put off when I don't go all-atmosphere, so I kind of want to explain my decisions!

Offline Vinterrun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 22:38:29 »
Ah I`m not worried :)
I think I can understand you very good. It`s the same thing with my work. As soons as you make something out of the frame of your usual style everone is more or less shocked.
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline scwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:42 »
I actually care about it! Thing is, I need perspective, and the only way I can keep designing beautiful atmospheres is if I don't do it all the time. If I e.g. always put nature ambiance sounds in my games, it will become more a habit than something I really care about.

I don't have any actual facts about this, so it's going to be a wild guess, but compare Derek Yu's work on Aquaria and Spelunky - both are awesome games but with a very different focus. Perhaps it's because to be creative, change is needed once in a while.
The way I saw it is similar to how Daniel Remar released Iji and then released Hero Core (although less drastic than that).

Both are fantastic games by the way, but the former has story, complex music, art and colors, and the later does not.

Offline Zudak

• Ulysses S. Grant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:55:58 »
Oh wow that's right, Derek Yu did do work on Aquaria. I always forget, it's so different from Spelunky and Eternal Daughter.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 21:46:37 »
Yes, he certainly did "do work" on Aquaria; he actually drew everything you experience in that game  :P

Onto the point, though... I only downloaded FiNCK about 5mins-ago, but I'm having a whale-of-a-time so far. Loving the (assumed) insight into Niff's gaming-interests, back in the '80s  C)p