Help me run the editor in Wine

• 8 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Help me run the editor in Wine
« on: May 23, 2010, 15:55:04 »
I get a messageless crash whenever I attempt to create a new world or load an existing one.  This happens both with custom level support and without, regardless of the simulated Windows version.
The main game works perfectly, including custom levels, as long as I override msvpc60.dll with a native one (same thing required for Knytt Stories).
Anyone who helps me fix this gets one and a half cookies and maybe possibly a chunk of a FiNCK tileset.  I'm particularily eager to make custom levels for this game as it seems the main world hasn't really touched on the puzzle possibilities.

The Wine debug console spits this out upon starting Editor.exe (same thing for almost everything else so I doubt it's a problem, especially since these are just fixmes):
Code: [Select]
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1620c0,0x161fe0): stub
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1620c0,0x161fe0): stub
fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x110000, 0x0) stub
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate (0x10064), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!

And upon the crash, all this crap:
Spoiler: wall of text (click to show/hide)

Something's telling me this is a problem with one or more of the MFX extensions.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Help me run the editor in Wine
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 16:44:40 »
Weird... I've just tested the editor on Wine and, while it gives the same error you posted, running it with WINEDEBUG=+relay makes it work (slow, of course). It may be a Wine problem.

I'll look into that a bit more, but I think you should file a bug report to WineHQ or something.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 20:44:05 »
WINEDEBUG=+relay makes it work (slow, of course).
It doesn't for me :(

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11:43 »
For what it's worth, I've tested this on a Mandriva Linux guest in VirtualBox, Wine version 1.1.44. No other WINEDEBUG values seem to work, nor does the directory where FiNCK is installed seem to matter. If you're using an older Wine version than mine, maybe you'll have more luck with a newer version; otherwise, I have no idea how to help, sorry.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:45 »
Well, i've tested this on my USB full install of Ubuntu 10.04, running the latest wine. FiNCK itself gives my "favorite" error message (The program stdrt.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close........ :/ ), however the edito works 100%, as does the settings program. For that matter, what are you using to get FiNCK itself working?
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 19:39:46 »
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and Wine 1.1.44.  To make FiNCK itself work, I just override the Wine msvpc60.dll with the native Windows msvpc60.dll.  However, without that, I don't get the "encountered a serious problem" error; instead, I get "Cannot load Nifflas.mfx."

Also, I really should have mentioned this: I'm using the portable version.  I can't see how the installed version would be more likely to run.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:39:29 »
I have already done the msvcp60.dll swap, to get knytt stories working. Indeed, without it all nifflas' games get "cannot load *.mfx" error
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:41:26 »
Weird, I didn't need to do anything else.  Try running it in Windows XP mode?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 00:03:41 »
Update: The editor lets me load, and ostensibly lets me edit, Bulbapuck's Puzzlosis.  It runs rather slow, however.

By copying that level's directory, I will be able to make my own levels.  No idea if it'll crap out later, though.