Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Download pre-release version 1 here
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:00 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:13:33 by Nifflas »

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 19:55:16 »
hm, is lvl 1-5 (the area with the one bird, two ice blocks and trigger bomb) supposed to be this hard?

I know what I'm supposed to do, but the ice block doesn't stop in the middle of the platform. A lot of these puzzles require careful footwork, a bit of luck, and knowing how the blocks flow, and I can't quite get it to work. I had to edit the puzzle so the block had a stopper before it drops and hit the ground (but not so much that it made the puzzle too easy).

Also.. I wonder if there was a way to upscale the game screen. Like 2x. I have a high resolution monitor and its.. kinda hard to see. It'd be nice if it scaled evenly (thus the 2x). I don't mind big chunky pixels. I love em.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 01:10:25 »
@CheezyWEAPON:

Ohhhh.. *facepalm*
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 12:52:32 »
Yeah, basically you throw the bird into the top tunnel, then wait a little bit and throw the ice block into the bottom one. There's no aspect of getting the ice block to stop involved. I was considering to change that puzzle, but then some people said they really liked it so I decided to just let it be that way.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 01:35:31 »
Coulda made the tunnels a bit shorter. But I suppose that would defeat the point of having the under-tunnel.
Lurk more.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 09:18:13 »
The game is not so atmospheric and artistic like previous knytts, saira, wadf. And big pixels - graphic is not smooth. Previous games were beautiful, and this one is just regular game without charm like before, nothing special. It doesn't rejoice the eyes (As for me).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:21:17 by truestep »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 10:03:45 »
I must say i kinda liked the new graphic style. Instead of being based on environment, the game is based on gameplay, so i can see why the graphics have been toned down a little.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 11:51:58 »
The game is not so atmospheric and artistic like previous knytts, saira, wadf. And big pixels - graphic is not smooth. Previous games were beautiful, and this one is just regular game without charm like before, nothing special. It doesn't rejoice the eyes (As for me).

When I first played it (even before the graphic overhaul the game went by), at first I felt a bit disappointed too, but the next day for some reason I found it incredibly beautiful. Perhaps it was the calm yet sad music from Area 1 which reminded me of the Hidden secret in WaDF, I don't know. Now FiNCK is one of my favorites, among Nifflas' games. Better than Knytt, if you ask me, and almost on par with #mas2 and WaDF.

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 12:16:49 »
 :D really fun!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 12:24:43 »

This is already explained at the website. I can't keep the atmospheric stuff up all the time, I need a break from that too and create something that doesn't really mean anything, just because it's fun to create. It's impossible to keep up creating atmospheric games if I'm never allowed to even once take a break from it. Just doing something different once in a while is important to see things from a new perspective. I could never have created Night Sky if all I did was games about balls, and I could never have created Saira if every previous game was based on photographs.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:52:27 by Nifflas »

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 22:09:52 »
From the beginning the way I saw the style of this game was the Nifflas seemed to be "returning to his roots" by making more quirky and unpolished type of indie game.  The inspirations of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Lyle in Cube Sector also hinted at this.  LiCS is also a game that uses simple graphics on purpose.  For those of us who grew up playing NES (I'm around the same age as Nifflas) we remember how fun (but also atmospheric in their own way) games could be even with very simple graphics. 

Also, one thing I like about making levels for FiNCK is that I can try to focus on making them fun to play in a way that's similar to old NES games, whereas with Knytt Stories it's so hard to create beautiful atmospheres that I'm too perfectionist and never finish anything.  With FiNCK there's less pressure to make everything beautiful and its frees you up to focus on the level design itself.

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 02:59:50 »
OK so I finally beat this game and I have been going back to get all the coins I missed.

Some of the coins and secret dorrs seem impossible to get to!

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 06:49:07 »
Lurk more.

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 16:36:09 »
Alright, I just finished the game and I gotta say, wow.  There's allot here in just the free release.  The game play is simple enough to pick up, but the variety of object and creatures lends itself to endless combination of puzzle.  Bravo.

In other words, I can tell it's specifically geared toward custom content.  Very awesome.

I will wait until the final release before I get the level creator.  Man.  Very cool stuff, Niff.  Very Cool.

<_<  The only thing missing was the potion that makes magic doors.

Oh, and turnips.  Couldn't find turnips.
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 18:15:25 »
Spoiler: MEGASPOILER (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.