Smooth Stones (from stone tiers) tileset

• 19 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Smooth Stones (from stone tiers) tileset
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:16:52 »
Long gentle curves are just hard to make look smooth. Some curves work, some don't. I usually resort to anti-aliasing.

Stone Tiers was a beautiful level. The graphical style was refreshing. Most levels, even custom graphics levels, adhere to strict 24 by 24 pixel architecture. Unfortunately, our Juni doesn't navigate curves all that well, and the objects can't handle them at all. But still, it's nice to get away from the blocky landscapes sometimes.

I think you should release your set for public use. Asking permission to use it isn't a big deal, but it is a small deal. A new and unsure level designer may just opt for default tiles leaving your beautiful tiles unused and forgotten. If you love something, set if free.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 13:34:04 »
Oh, there IS an image in minmay's post.   :crazy:  Guess I should pay more attention to my own freekin threads. 

Yeah, the problem is, as egomassive said, there doesn't seem to be a good way of doing it.  For simplicity purposes, I've decided not to go with transparent or antialiasing, and the method I am settling on actually looks a lot like yours, minmay.  It seems I have to go with those "parts where the little segment things get longer then shorter then longer" because otherwise the outline is polygonal rather than round.  It does look rough, but I can't find a better solution and want this tileset done so I can move on to the other 3 tilesets I've been planning out... wait, I forgot one.  4 tilesets. 

As for my snafu on the public use issue... well, I'm not sure yet.  I realize I'm being a little possessive, and I'm not sure why.  I think for now I'll keep it "ask permission" at least for now.  After all, if someone is new to Knytt stories, I'm not sure they should be messing with smooth stone tileset quite yet anyway.  I find it takes a bit more planning and rework than the standard tilesets.

Anyhow, thank you all very much for the comments.   8)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Ok, I've got the black lines smoothed out, but they really bug me for some reason.  They just look too smooth, too nicely polished... too computer rendered maybe.  I can't quite figure out what it is, but comments would help I think.  Maybe there is nothing wrong with them and my perfectionism is getting to me.  I'll just post the screen shots for now and see what you think.

These screen shots illustrate that the "smooth stones" can actually be rather sharp and cave like too.   C)p

Also, I'm experimenting with a new bush builder.  My old one has some minor conflicts that bug me.  Eventually I'll be using something like this for a giant tree builder I'm working on.  I really like using modular designs rather than a tree that must be used the exact same way every time.  The old bush design is on the left for comparison.

Thanks for any input guys.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 07:45:20 »
Loved the level, love this tileset. Awesome job! I do agree with minmay on the outlines, but not enough to dislike the tileset.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:18 »
I prefer the old trees. Repetition is more obvious with the new brush. The edges of the foliage look like they were cut out of the pattern with scissors. Makes it look flat despite the texture in the pattern. I suggest restricting big highlights to the top edge, and make them relate to the edge. The same goes for the shading at the bottom. In the middle I'd fill with a much less pronounced pattern. If you look at the Forest Thin tileset by Fredrik Andersson (appears in Riku Island level by Kohdi) The interior is just a solid color, but it works. Plus, The splotchy coloring on the old brush was a better match for the simple highlighting/shading on the ground tiles.