Smooth Stones (from stone tiers) tileset

• 19 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Smooth Stones (from stone tiers) tileset
« on: May 15, 2010, 21:15:39 »
Ok, I've finally finished my updates to my smooth stone tilesets.  I got the shadows looking better, and I redeveloped the black outlines so that they are easier and more flexible to work with.  (Wow, is that all?  I can't believe how long it took to do just that  :/)

The new version of Stone Tiers is here:

http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3199.0

I'm going to go ahead and make them public domain.  I just ask you give me credit and ask me first.  I just want to know who is using my stuff.  

If you would like a modification, ask me to do it.  I'm possessive.  :)  Plus, I've got a template made that can put out a color and texture variation on the stones in a minute or two.  The trees and bushes take a little longer, but I've got methods developed that will keep it quick.

So please enjoy.  I'm excited to see what you guys make with it.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Smooth Stones (from stone tiers) tileset
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 22:43:28 »
Everything's good except the outlines.  They're downright messy and unpleasant.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 23:39:58 »
Whow, wow, what now?  That is the harshest criticism I've gotten... cool!  I'm not sure I know how to change it though without anti-aliasing, which would not look right with the rest of the knytt stories graphics.  Any suggestions?  There are a few spots where I let the black outline double up, but I thought it simply added a random edge so the line isn't your standard uniform row of pixels.  Should it be a uniform row of pixels?

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 00:13:47 »
Yes; the jaggedly outlined curves are indeed messy.
o__  o

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:27:59 »
I don't see the problem with using anti-aliased borders, but if you don't like that... what about changing the color of the borders? You could use a darker shade of the color of each stone.

You could also try making the borders a bit thicker, though I don't think this would look as good as the first method.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:22:37 »
I'll see what I can do, but do keep in mind that when they are used in a level, they will not have a blazing white background (or at least I won't use one) so the jagged edge won't be quite as noticeable.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 13:51:18 »
Don't get me wrong, I think the tileset looks mighty fine the way it is now. Stone Tiers is one of the prettiest levels I ever played :)  It was just a suggestion to make the borders less noticeable. I did a quick test replacing the black borders of the sample screenshot with brown ones and I thought it looked pretty good.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 21:28:40 »
Whow, wow, what now?  That is the harshest criticism I've gotten... cool!
Ha, really?  Don't take this the wrong way, but you probably haven't been criticised very much :P

Anyway, which side of this rock looks better?  The left side is yours, the right is yours with smooth outlines.

If you want jagged edges, you need to make them a little more jagged and use antialiasing (not necessarily with transparency, but certainly with the nearby colors).

(unrelated: "public domain" does not mean what you think it means.  a public domain tileset would be one for which no credit or permission whatsoever is required, and that could be modified in any way while still giving no credit.  beethoven's music, for example, is public domain.  most of kevin macleod's music, on the other hand, is under a creative commons license, but is not public domain: you are violating the license terms if you use or modify it without giving credit.  your tileset is neither, since you say you do not allow modifications or use without permission.)

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 21:52:33 »
Anyway, which side of this rock looks better?  The left side is yours, the right is yours with smooth outlines.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.cowmuffins.net/stuff/rock.png[/img]
Hey, your picture 404'ed.

In my opinion though, black borders should never be more than one pixel thick.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 00:47:14 »
I've been experimenting.  1 pixel width looks crappy because as a long curve transitions from horizontal to vertical, the transitions end up looking too flat when only using 1 pixel.  I've also tried a quick experiment with a heavy use of antialiasing using transparencies, and it is just a mess to work with.  My next experiment will be to turn one of the two doubled up pixels 50% transparent and see how that looks. 

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 03:11:07 »
Hey, your picture 404'ed.

Should be there again now.  No idea why it disappeared.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:33 »
minmay's side looks better, but the shape of the outline could stand a revamp, particularly in the parts where the little segment things get longer then shorter then longer; I'll circle them if I was unclear or nobody can otherwise find them without my help.  Also, Headgrinder, if "the transitions look too flat", you're probably not approaching their construction correctly; may I advise looking at a pixel art tutorial?
o__  o