Steam release at launch?

• 12 Replies

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
Steam release at launch?
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:44:24 »
Any change of a Steam release at launch? I prefer to purchase my games on Steam than off a website, so I can advertise to my friends that I have this game and am enjoying it. Free viral marketing for the game.

Re: Steam release at launch?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:58:14 »
Wait what? This game is gonna cost money too?! Aaaargh! *bashed head into wall*
Lurk more.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:57 »
Eugh, Steam... you have the exact opposite opinion of me.  I cannot stand for games to have a specific program to be downloaded through.  I believe Nifflas expressed dislike for Steam in the past as well, though FiNCK may be on Steam for all I know.  I haven't heard any word from Nifflas concerning the subject, though.
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 11:58:14 »
Yeah, I think that's not happening, as Nifflas said he doesn't like Steam a lot. I'm with TheoX and Niff on this one; Steam sucks. No offense to Steam fans.  :P2

I didn't know it would cost moolah either! SHOCKING!   XD

Well, not like I can't spare some cashola for a cool game.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:27 »
Um, Saira was released on Steam. Nifflas is okay with putting his games on Steam as long as a portable, DRM-free version is also available, as I understand.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 21:40:10 »
I haven't heard anything from Nifflas regarding this subject, but I would not be surprised to see a Steam version released aswell. Of course he will release a non-steam version, thats one thing I'm sure about.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 14:09:13 »
My former dislike for Steam was honestly a mistake. It's still true that I don't like DRM, but Steam's DRM is optional and Saira doesn't use it.

Sure, I don't like forcing people to register to some service to download my game and get some extra application they might not want. By that reason, a non-Steam build will always be available for my PC games. At the other hand, a lot of people like Steam, and like how easy it is to have this application they can install on any computer and download all their games automatically and having them installed for them. I don't want to ignore this group of players either, and getting Saira out on Steam really did boost my sales a lot.

By this reason, I might in the future get my games up on any system like this. However, the games must be approved on every service, and it's some extra work. By that reason, I might not always end up getting every game out on the services I'd like to. In case of FiNCK, it have not been worked out yet, so I'll make no promises there. We'll see what happens.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 19:48:02 »
Good luck with that, even though I still dislike steam. :)

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:04:32 »
So many people hate steam  :nuts:
I liek

here's why
First-I have lots of friends at school who have it
       This means that i can talk to them and play games with them easily
Second-i have set steam not to automatically turn on, so if i want to play a steam game, i turn it on!
third-It tells others what you are playing, so they can join you.
fourth-the store is just epic.
Those are the pros for me  :crazy:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:12 »
I have xFire for the exact same reasons :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 12:02:10 »
*googles xfire*  :whoa:
All my reasons were just voided...

well, i can play tf2!

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 14:46:32 »
Those who dislike Steam should really check out the Indie Games section of the store: http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Indie/. Having a central, highly visible central hub like this for Indie Developers is extremely valuable. I have purchased quite a lot of (high quality) indie games on Steam now, many of which I was exposed to for the first time by noticing that the game was up on Steam.

As well as having this central store front, Indie Devs can also benefit from the viral nature of Steam, in that the games that my friends have are also highly visible to me, and this makes me more likely to buy those games.

Also as Nifflas mentioned, nothing is forcing devs to do a Steam-exclusive release - the game can be distributed using several mediums/platforms

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 00:05:57 »
Any change of a Steam release at launch? I prefer to purchase my games on Steam than off a website, so I can advertise to my friends that I have this game and am enjoying it. Free viral marketing for the game.
Just add it to your Steam library as a non-Steam game.