[Easy] [Environmental] Lost in the storm

• 18 Replies

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
[Easy] [Environmental] Lost in the storm
« on: March 22, 2009, 22:16:32 »
I was really inspired by Knytt when I made this level, as well as some of the earlier Knytt stories levels that were made.
As you'd expect, there is a huge world to explore, so it is much more than the usual "journey from left to right".
I have tried my best to make it as atmospheric and beautiful as I can, and I hope you enjoy it. :)

Story                    
Juni is out sailing, when suddenly a storm starts. She is shipwrecked on a mysterious island, and she has to find her way home.

Spoiler: screens (click to show/hide)

Screencount: 156

Download
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 15:57:34 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Lost in the storm
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 22:17:36 »
The screens look good. Gotta try it! :)

EDIT: Got to the end. Here are my impressions:

First, I miss some background music throughout the whole level. About the evinronments, you really do have a nice selection of tilesets and the layer work is top-notch, but the caves look very lifeless (which results not only from the lack of music but also from having such a small ammount of objects). Also, I'd like a bit more direction in the level. It feels like I'm just dropped there and then I have no idea where to go. With so little ammount of obstacles (which is perfectly fine, by me) and so many ways to the end, you kind of miss the point of having the huge world, because one can easily skip through most of it. You could keep the same number of screens and cut a lot of passages, so that one actually has to see everything, also making the level last longer.

Another issue I have with many levels, namely this one are the cutscenes. I always get the first impression of a level by the cutscenes and when they are not good, I won't like the level as much, later. It's an easily avoidable turn down, though! Why don't you line up the text? And chose a font with more... personality, that one looks so generic... I also think I found a typo in one of the scenes. You have put so much work on the world and your level could have been much better if you payed attention to these little details. A suggestion for you in particular: You made a very ince info screen. Why don't you make the cutscenes in that style, too? It is surely going to make your level more unique! One last thing: The ending is too underwhelming. I'm not sure what I would add there, but I was really like... "What, is that it??"

You should really work on this, though! Your level has a lot of unrealized potential!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 22:57:39 by PONTO »

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
Re: [Easy] [Environmental] Lost in the storm
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 22:40:10 »
As usual a great level.
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:46 »
Looks good i'll have to download and play later but first something strange... in the screenshots you are using 1.2.1 and 1.1 versions of knytt stories (which is strange XD)

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:52:11 »
Looks good i'll have to download and play later but first something strange... in the screenshots you are using 1.2.1 and 1.1 versions of knytt stories (which is strange XD)

Probably older screenshots mixed with a new one.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 14:50:10 »
Tried it, loved it. :3 Seriously, PONTO's being too negative. I think it's great. But I didn't listen to the music, I had my own. X)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 14:52:52 »
But I didn't listen to the music, I had my own. X)
You wouldn't be listening to it anyways, because there is none. :P

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 00:44:01 »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 21:06:14 »
Seriously, PONTO's being too negative.
Didn't mean to, it was my honest opinion and I think that the level, even though it is really not bad now, could get much better.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 18:38:39 »
Seriously, PONTO's being too negative.
Didn't mean to, it was my honest opinion and I think that the level, even though it is really not bad now, could get much better.
Personally, I think it is as good as it can ever get. I made a lot of the design choices you pointed out as bad consciously because I liked it more that way.
If I for example should make the level more linear, I would have to remove a lot of the exploration, and the caves, just like the rest of the island were meant to feel empty and lifeless to empathize the feeling of being stuck alone there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:23:42 by Razzorman »

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 22:51:10 »
i like the level, but its weird how silent it is. theres lots of detail in each screen too, but i kept sort of expecting some kind of "pay-off" screen, if that makes sense. i mean, you go all the way to one side of the island, or up to the cloud part, and i kept thinking i'd just find some really outstanding "something" ... does that make sense?

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 23:28:45 »
Good creation. But indeed this misses some rewarding cutscenes/items/...
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 20:12:16 »
i like the level, but its weird how silent it is. theres lots of detail in each screen too, but i kept sort of expecting some kind of "pay-off" screen, if that makes sense. i mean, you go all the way to one side of the island, or up to the cloud part, and i kept thinking i'd just find some really outstanding "something" ... does that make sense?
I'm afraid not. :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:24:03 by Razzorman »

Offline TheSquashedOrange

• Nothing is bad or good, but thinking makes it so.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 06:47:34 »
I loved it, I liked how there were multiple ways to get through the island, not such a bad thing in an environmental level. It was also interesting how there wasn't any music, which gave it a nice atmosphere, that feeling of being all alone. :)