[Normal][Maze/Puzzle] Castle Escape

• 17 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Normal][Maze/Puzzle] Castle Escape
« on: May 06, 2010, 21:15:48 »
These days, I've been working on a somewhat complex level which will be focused mainly on puzzles and will feature many custom graphics. However, it was taking me much more time than I originally expected and I kinda lost interest for now... so I decided to postpone that level and make something else in the meantime.

This will be a small (maybe medium) sized maze-like level in which you have to help Juni escape from a castle (duh). You'll have to find your way through corridors, doors and multiple floors until you finally reach the exit. Also, you'll need to solve some puzzles in order to get the items you need (keys and power-ups).

You can also try to find secret treasures while you make your escape. Once you exit the castle, your treasure-hunting performance will be rated and you'll be given a grade.

I have yet to start adding details (furniture, etc) and most of the eye candy, but here are some early screenshots for ya. The custom graphics and the idea for this level are inspired by an old DOS game. Can you guess which one? :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 20:23:27 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal][Maze/Puzzle] Castle Escape
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 21:31:21 »
I'm sorry but those screens look kinda boring and bland, and on a maze level when I'm running around for ages exploring I find that quite a turn off.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 22:24:38 »
Maybe it was a bit too early to post screenshots... I'm still designing puzzle rooms and completing my tileset and custom objects, so I don't have many interesting screens yet. I'll replace some of those screenshots with better ones as I progress. However, keep in mind this won't play like other KS maze levels. I'm trying to "emulate" a certain 3D maze-like game. I don't know if the result will be any good, tho... but I want to try :P
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:49:43 »
Yes, I'm going to add stuff like furniture, lamps, barrels, paintings and columns. I wanted to try my hand at making custom tilesets and objects from scratch, that's why I thought of this little "experiment". Problem is, I'm still not used to it. I didn't plan ahead, I'm just drawing things as I need them :P

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll probably try to stick to my own tileset, to force myself to improve... but I'll check your tileset for some inspiration :)

UPDATE: I've replaced the first screenshot (it's now in last place) with a more detailed version so you can see my progress. I'll try to improve the wall textures as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 15:29:31 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Adam0o3

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 15:03:06 »
I will write something about this level but... first u need do little more :o like u wrote its just
a scratch , so keep working on it.
I have hope it will look much better than now :p ( i know it will )

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 03:08:42 »
I actually kind of liked what I saw in the screen shots just because it is different to build the walls with those blocks.  It makes me think of New Super Mario in the castles, how the walls are built of random shaped stones and metal plates. 

I also love the treasure hunt side of it.  I was thinking of doing something similar to that.  Good thought.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 15:24:37 »
I was just trying to design this level in a different way: closed spaces with walls composed of small blocks, instead of open spaces with big solid walls/floors that fit the entire screen. But now that you say it... it's true, it kinda reminds me of NSMB :P

By the way, I'm thinking of doing a little betatesting for this level. I would like to hear more opinions on this idea before I continue working on it, so... if anyone wants to try a demo, just post here saying so or send me a PM.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 16:51:18 »
Moar screens! I'll be updating this post with more recent screenshots. Still, don't expect this to be a graphical powerhouse (design is more on the minimalistic side), but I tried to add a bit more detail and eye-candy. I'll also release the tileset I made for this level when I finish building it.

The difficulty category will probably be changed to "Easy", based on the opinions I received from testers up to now. If anyone else wants to test, I'd be happy to provide them with a demo level.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 16:12:44 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:42:09 »
Looks good, although I don't like the shading on the vases.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 23:11:57 »
I tweaked the vase a bit. Here's a new version:

What do you think? Does this look better or worse than the original vase?
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:06 »
I think it is coming along.  You are starting to get a modern hotel lobby look rather than a castle look though.  The little potted plants and "simpler" decor is doing it, I think.  Castles are EXTRAVAGANT!  "I am mighty king, I take your money and make my castle mighty!"  So, maybe stuff like statues, friezes, marble stuff, and drapes.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 15:26:20 »
Yes, it isn't supposed to feel like a really "ancient" castle. It's more like a modern, remodeled one. This is because the theme of this level is inspired on Wolfenstein 3D, a game where the protagonist had to escape a castle that was used by nazis as a prison/fortress. I plan to mix modern elements (potted plants, metal crates, elevators, etc) with medieval-ish ones (wooden pillars, columns, armor suits...). It's a bit weird, I know :nuts:
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 13:12:28 »
Oh man, you should go with the wolfenstien thing dude.  I use to make levels for wolfenstien with an editor some body made.  Great times, my first game making experience back in the early 90s. 

I would suggest trying to get a retro feel then. 

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 21:38:54 »
I tweaked the vase a bit. Here's a new version:

What do you think? Does this look better or worse than the original vase?
Definitely looks better. The old vase had weird and flat shading, while the shading on this looks more naturalistic.