[Challenge][Very Hard] Golly

• 11 Replies

Offline saba

• View Profile
[Challenge][Very Hard] Golly
« on: May 04, 2010, 16:02:23 »
Golly aka The Tileset Party

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jtugm2vmncq

Hey there. I've been working on this level for a while and now that it's finished, I might as well release it (hope the whole downloading thing works  :huh:)

• It is constructed entirely out of non-custom tilesets, and that's to say, all of them. It starts with tileset 1 set to background 1 and so forth, using all 254 of them. I think there are only 254, since one tileset appears to be a duplicate. Except for one screen, there is only ever one tileset per screen. Additionally, I tried to use every single tile of every single tileset (except all corner tiles, most of the time), which is why some screens may look a little stuffed.  :^^:
  • The challenges actually range from easy to very hard. I don't think it ever becomes lunatic. There are some puzzle elements here and there.
  • If you find and collect the keys, they will help you and make it easier for you along the way now and then, allowing you to skip a challenge, to get an extra save point, to get a power earlier than usual, and so on. Collecting the keys is optional and not required to finish the level.
  • I do hope that I've ruled out all glitches, unintentional voids, etc. If you find one, just let me know.  :)

Oh and, sorry for the size, it's mainly because of the music (I do have permission to use everything I didn't make myself).

EDIT: Okay, I was just informed that golly is apparently not only an exclamation, but also an offensive slur for a person with dark skin. Since Juni happens to have dark skin in this level, I just wanted to let everyone know that this wasn't intentional at all.

Here are some pictures, which don't say anything since every screen is completely different:  :shifty:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 16:28:02 by saba »

Adam0o3

Re: [Challenge][Very Hard] Golly
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 17:19:35 »
SO chaotic  for me  X), but i give it a try

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 20:06:14 »
Very cool, downloading now, I'll play when I get home tonight... Looks very chaotic, but in a weird, good way.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 22:16:08 »
It is chaotic, but fun :D

But I'm stuck... I reached the screen with the purple keylock, but I don't what to do now. I can't seem to find any way to make it to the right side. I don't have the purple key, but the keys are supposedly not necessary to progress... did I forget anything else?

I have collected the following power-ups: run, double-jump, umbrella, detector and eyeball.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:19:31 »
It is chaotic, but fun :D

But I'm stuck... I reached the screen with the purple keylock, but I don't what to do now. I can't seem to find any way to make it to the right side. I don't have the purple key, but the keys are supposedly not necessary to progress... did I forget anything else?

I have collected the following power-ups: run, double-jump, umbrella, detector and eyeball.

Glad that you're having fun with it  C)

If we're talking about the same screen (the black and white one, right?), it is possible to get to the right. It's a hard jump to do, but it's possible. You have to make sure that Juni doesn't hit her head on the lock.  :)

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:13:07 »
I reached the screen with two suns and green/yellow squares and I can't jump to these squares. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:37:20 »
I tried this and I found it difficult not because of the genuine difficulty of the challenges, but because of the lack of savepoints; I find trekking over harmless -or even worse, harmful- screens each time I want to retry a difficult one quite frustrating.  I eventually gave up and just looked at all the screens in the editor.
o__  o

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 04:12:02 »
Very nice. The level is incredibly huge. I'll have to give it a break.

icecoffin, it's a pixel-perfect jump. There seems to be no other way of doing it.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:11:05 »
I forgot to say I've finished the level.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 08:57:28 »
Played level now. Some places were hard to figure out what to do on, like the lego brick screen.

Then, from the look of each screen it seemed you were after to use every tile in the tileset and the end result in that is bad, seeing as you even used the filler tiles.

Nice try though.

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 14:18:45 »
Wow.  Played it.  Wasn't for me.  way WAY too chaotic, and is suffered from Dead Ends.  Ending felt rushed, compared with the rest of the level.

At least you got a hand on what "difficult" means.  Good LORD, that was hard.  Reminds me of Carn's Paradise trilogy in terms of difficult.
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.