FiNCK trailer

• 22 Replies

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: FiNCK trailer
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 07:39:31 »
Thay did have a Box throwing in one Mario game but I dont want to talk about it right now for some reason :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki_Doki_Panic

oh shit there the mario game was just a clone of this I never knew I guess that referring to the mario game instead of this is stupid now
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 14:29:08 »
If I've understood the story right: While SMB1 was this revolutionary really awesome platformer, the Japanese SMB2 had identical mechanics to SMB1, the same graphics and an extremely small amount of new content (2 new enemies?). Many things were inconsistent too, in SMB1 underwater enemies would appear in underwater levels only, but in the Japanese SMB2 they'd sometimes be floating around in air. SMB2 was also incredibly hard, and was determined to not work at all on the American or European market, which is in my opinion very true.

I bet Nintendo had these expectations after SMB1 and needed something that would really blow people away again, despite that at this time many more good NES games existed. The japanese SMB2 would never have worked. I guess it was just an easy move to replace some graphics in Doki Doki Panic, which was also developed by a Nintendo branch anyway.

They didn't really steal doki doki panic. It's still within the same company branch, plenty of the SMB1 people worked on DDP (Shigeru Miyamoto who was one of the SMB1 directors, is also a producer and designer on DDP, and was more involved with DDP than he was on the Japanese SMB2), and the DDP developers are properly credited in SMB2. It's just the sort of stuff that some companies do to get a good profit, it's no different from many games sold through publishers where the developers have been required to change themes, graphics, or other content. If you e.g. want to create a downloadable game for the 360, Microsoft might step in and ask you to modify stuff that you didn't really have in mind. What I'd really like to highlight instead of the SMB2/DDP thing is that this happens all the time, with tons of the games which we play and love today. It's just harder to see when there's no "this was the original idea" game to compare them to.

Of course, I'm anally against changing the content of my own games if it's not a change I want, but that's a different story :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 14:41:16 by Nifflas »

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 19:08:00 »
Doesn't seem like this was posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrbWJT6LsAw

Offline mato

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 11:58:44 »
The first time I saw this I wasn't much interested, but now that I have seen the second trailer I am strangely enticed. I like the environments and color palette, it is artistically rather vibrant. I didn't buy Saira, but if I like the demo of FiNCK I would be willing to pay something reasonable to own it.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 13:35:38 »
Well, get the pre-release version then! It contains the entire finished game world, and only custom level support requires a serial code.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 16:26:35 »
Well, get the pre-release version then! It contains the entire finished game world, and only custom level support requires a serial code.

Maybe you should enable donations again, for a pay what you want to give option. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 16:53:45 »
At the moment I just pick the easiest possible way to charge, which is fastspring, but I'll think of something if I have time.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 18:26:56 »
Speaking of which, have you guys heard of the Humble Indie Bundle? That sale was a major success, Nifflas should definitely join in when the indie devs do something like that again. :)