Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
LungeLemon Ninja
« on: April 25, 2010, 16:58:14 »
It's a Ninja. That Lunges Lemons.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin

Yesterday, I decided to do my biology homework. We had been given a paper with a 10x10 grid, and was supposed to, without looking, make 100 dots randomly all over it with a pen. We would then ask anoher person to say 10 numbers between 1 and 100. We would then count how many dots were in those 10 grids in total. This may not seem like biology, but it was something about figuring out how many individuals of a species there was in an area by taking random samples all over the place. Anyway, I realised I forgot that paper at school. Hmph. And I didn't want to make a new one. Even though it's not supposed to be in til Thursday, and I could take the paper home on Monday. But the geek I am, I decided to let the computer do this for me! So I made a program in Game Maker that generated 10 random rounded values between 0 and 99, which started over if any of the 10 had the same value, then created 100 random objects that were assigned one random rounded value between 0 and 99, and if that value matched any of the original 10 values a global variable went up by 1. Then that variable was drawn. Then you could press a key to restart. Then I spiced it up by adding several tracking variables that tracked how many times it had restarted (not counting the restarts when two of the original values became identical), the total value of the global variable (the result) and the mean of it. Then I decided to look at some old games I made. I mean, heck, the last time I used GM was several months ago! And I stumbled across this. My best game, even though it's unfinished. It had great potential. Such a shame...

This project was started by me and 3 friends about a year ago. I did all the programming. But when we after a month or so didn't have a single sprite, cuz our artist was slower than slowpoke, we just stopped working on it and waited til we would get anything from him. I worked a little on it once in a while ayway, and managed to make what could be called a demo, consisting of one small level, one big level and one boss. Except that all sprites was placeholders stolen from the GM platform engine, which was used (but altered) btw. When that was done, I just waited for the artist. Who never drew a single pixel, even though we DOITNAO every day. And it was DEAD.

Since there's only placeholder sprites and it's not finished, I would like you to pretend that:
The main character is a Ninja.
The yellow dots are Lemons.
The green/blue dots are Limes.
The mushrooms are coins.
The level sign is different.
The ammo symbol is a Lime.
The monsters are different.
The tileset is different.
The boss monster is a big white monkey.
The sound effects are different.
There is music.
There is 21 levels.

Controls:
Arrow Keys: Move/Jump/Climb
Ctrl/Z: Lunge a Lemon (can crit)
Space/Shift/Alt/X: Lunge a Lime (stronger but limited ammo)
F2: Restart level
F1: Brings up some blargh I forgot to remove
Spoiler: Cheats (click to show/hide)

Map contains zip and rar with both executable and source:
CLICK ME!

EDIT: Since there seem to be some misunderstandings, this game is about a Ninja that Lunges Lemons.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 19:59:47 by LimeLemon »
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: LungeLemon Ninja
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 19:06:03 »
Yesterday, I decided to do my biology homework. We had been given a paper with a 10x10 grid, and was supposed to, without looking, make 100 dots randomly all over it with a pen. We would then ask anoher person to say 10 numbers between 1 and 100. We would then count how many dots were in those 10 grids in total. This may not seem like biology, but it was something about figuring out how many individuals of a species there was in an area by taking random samples all over the place. Anyway, I realised I forgot that paper at school. Hmph. And I didn't want to make a new one. Even though it's not supposed to be in til Thursday, and I could take the paper home on Monday. But the geek I am, I decided to let the computer do this for me! So I made a program in Game Maker that generated 10 random rounded values between 0 and 99, which started over if any of the 10 had the same value, then created 100 random objects that were assigned one random rounded value between 0 and 99, and if that value matched any of the original 10 values a global variable went up by 1. Then that variable was drawn. Then you could press a key to restart. Then I spiced it up by adding several tracking variables that tracked how many times it had restarted (not counting the restarts when two of the original values became identical), the total value of the global variable (the result) and the mean of it. Then I decided to look at some old games I made. I mean, heck, the last time I used GM was several months ago!

what i don't understand what has this got to do with anything oh well its a cool story i don't mind
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 20:19:23 »
what i don't understand what has this got to do with anything oh well its a cool story i don't mind
It's an introduction.

But the geek I am, I decided to let the computer do this for me!
Not only more fun, but also more useful and random.

@LimeLemon: Why don't you just get someone else to start spriting for the game?
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 20:30:23 »
It's an introduction.
That is an overly detailed explanation on how he did his homework. The part that comes after it is an introduction.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 20:32:39 »
It's an introduction.
That is an overly detailed explanation on how he did his homework. The part that comes after it is an introduction.
Very well. A prelude.

Also, what's up with the boss(?) on level 3? You can't jump on his head without dying.
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 23:42:12 »
Well, like PP said. Intro. I explained how I came up with the idea of making this topic. Also I just blabbed.

@LimeLemon: Why don't you just get someone else to start spriting for the game?
Well it's dead. I've lost motivation. But... maybe if someone... on this forum perhaps... :shifty:

Also, what's up with the boss(?) on level 3? You can't jump on his head without dying.
You are not supposed to jump on his head. Do you really think it would be that easy, jump on his head and he's dead (lol rhyme)? Or did you think I implemented some complex stuff that allows you to stomp monsters without killing them, only reducing their health (collision problems)?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 00:12:40 »
You are not supposed to jump on his head. Do you really think it would be that easy, jump on his head and he's dead?
Easy?! I spent like 5 minutes trying to land on his head! ...-_-

Okay. So how do you kill him then?
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 00:14:09 »
Okay. So how do you kill him then?
Are you serious?

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 00:20:41 »
Oh, sorry. I didn't notice the ninja could lunge lemons. :oops:
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 00:32:16 »
What is this... I... I DON'T EVEN!
LungeLemon Ninja
It's a Ninja. That Lunges Lemons.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin
Ctrl: Lunge a Lemon (can crit)

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 00:34:03 »
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 00:41:21 »
Well, okay. Could I maybe get some feedback btw? In case I decide to finish it.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 01:33:29 »
Feedback. Right. There's really not much to comment on besides the engine, so I'll do that. The first thing I notice is that the character jumps not when you press up, but when you hold up. This is slightly annoying, in particular coming off ladders. The lunging keys are a bit off. I once accidentally hit shift instead of ctrl. I think you could replace space and shift and that would work better. Also, why do you display the stuff in the header for the game, when it's already in a bar at the top?
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:39:46 »
The first thing I notice is that the character jumps not when you press up, but when you hold up.
I don't find it annoying, but I guess it is pretty stupid.

I think you could replace space and shift and that would work better.
Pressing shift five times=BEEP! But I should probably remove that thing, or make it harder to do.

Also, why do you display the stuff in the header for the game, when it's already in a bar at the top?
Because I can. It's fun. It's fancy.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 18:33:10 »
All that happens when I go to the link is the statement "The database hates you right now. The entry might exist or it might not exist. We would clear this mystery up for you, if we could get to the database. We tried to look it up, but the database puked up an error." What the f.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets