[Challenge/Puzzle][Normal/Hard] Legend of the White Elephant

• 7 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Hi everybody :D  This is my first time posting on this forum, but I've been a lurker for quite some time (please excuse me if my English isn't too good... my first language is Spanish). Like many of you people, I've enjoyed Nifflas' games so much (Within a Deep Forest, Knytt Stories and Saira, to be precise) that I finally decided to make a contribution to this wonderful community. Hence, my very first adventure for Knytt Stories: The Legend of the White Elephant.

Originally, this was going to be just a medium sized level filled with lots of inside jokes and absurd references that only my close friends would be able to get. But after a few days in the making, I decided to improve it and evolve it into a full-scale KS adventure --with challenges, puzzles and a simple background story-- and share this project with everyone in the KS community. It still contains many jokes (it isn't a completely serious story), but I've removed most of those "inside references" and tried to make the game accessible to everyone. Difficulty is normal/hard, though it's probably going to be somewhat easy for many of you "pro-Knytters" :P  It features some unique puzzles and challenges, and a nonsensical, secret alternate ending.

Please bear in mind that, being my first KS level, this level doesn't have a lot of custom resources. There is no new music, and most of the tilesets I've used were from the default KS library (although I customized some of these tilesets a little and added a few custom objects). However, I've tried to include some original and tricky puzzles so that expert players would not be bored with this level. Also, the cutscenes are going to be fully illustrated, instead of just using edited screenshots... though these illustrations are going to take more time to complete than I initially expected, because my illustrator (my sister) is going on a trip for a few months and hasn't finished coloring yet, so I only have raw drafts for many of the scenes. The level design is already finished and the game is fully playable, though... so I intend to upload a beta version to Knyttlevels.com very soon (I just have to translate a few remaining text lines that are still in Spanish) and then upload the final version when I finally get a hold of the finished drawings.

Also, being a complete newbie to this, I want to learn how to do this properly... so I wanted to ask a few questions about publishing a custom KS level. If any of you could answer them, I'd be grateful:

1) Do I have to give credit to EVERY tileset author in the intro screen for using their tilesets even if they're from the default KS library? I don't want to sound like a ungrateful dick, but man... that's an awful lot of names I'd need to include in that screen :S  Is it enough if I just put something like "Thanks to Nifflas and the authors of the KS default tileset"?

2) Do I need to ask a tileset author for permission if I want to customize his/her tileset for my level? I didn't see footer remarks like "You cannot use this tileset on you own levels" or "You cannot modify this tileset" in the tilesets... but I don't know if it's enough to give credit to the original author to be able to use a customized version on your own level.

Well... that's about it. I hope you'll enjoy this little level, I'll make a new post on the level archive forum when I upload the beta version. Here are some screenshots. As I said, this level's not exactly going to be the prettiest thing ever, but I at least tried to make it so it doesn't hurt the eyes :P

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Puzzle][Normal/Hard] Legend of the White Elephant
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 20:02:27 »
you don't need to give the credit necessarily in the intro screen, but although many just don't care to give credits at all to the tileset authors, it's a rule that you are supposed to. you could for example add an outro credits screen. :P
about modifying tilesets, there's also a policy of sorts.
and finally, doesn't the tileset used in that fourth image actually say that you're not allowed to use it?
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 21:00:23 »
Thank you very much for your answer :)  Yeah, I do want to give credit to the authors of the resources I've used, but it might take me quite a while to compile the full list of the authors' names and make it fit at the intro screen, because I'm using many different tilesets. I'll do as you suggest and add a more detailed credit screen after the ending cutscene.

I read the thread about the policy on editing tilesets. The changes I've made are minor (mirrored tiles, slight color alterations on a few tiles, etc)... except for Tileset #132 (Nifflas), where I replaced some of the original tiles with my own. I'll try to contact the authors before releasing my level. That thread also mentions that you don't need to ask for permission when editing/remixing the stock tilesets made by Nifflas. Is this correct?

About the fourth screen... I didn't know I can't use tileset #93  :S  I double-checked the file, but it doesn't say anything about that. I do know there is a similar tileset created by Nifflas for the KS expansion "A Strange Dream" that you're not supposed to use in your own levels. Does this apply to tileset #93 too? If so, please tell me and I'll replace it ASAP.

I'll post more screenshots later so you all can see the changes I've made to these tilesets.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 22:56:14 »
I wasn't sure about that particular tileset, that's why I asked. if the one you used doesn't say that you aren't allowed to use it, it's fine, of course.
and yes, you can remix his freely usable tilesets.
good luck with what you're doing, it really looks and sounds quite neat. :)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:29:44 »
This sound (looks, etc.) like it will be a great level. Can't wait to see it released.
Lurk more.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 21:11:45 »
Thank you all for the nice welcome :D  Looks like I'm gonna be mighty busy this week with RL matters... but I still plan to finish the remaining details of this level this weekend and release a full beta. The game will be fully playable from start to finish, including the secret area, and will only lack the colored illustrations (for now, I'll be using the drafts and the few ones that are finished... such as the one I showed in screenshot #3). Of course, once you've tried the level, I'd be glad to listen to any kind of feedback you may want to provide :)  As I said before, I'm not a native English speaker, so it's highly possible there are many spelling/grammatical errors in the game text  :oops:  If anybody is willing to report these mistakes, I'll be more than happy to fix them.

I forgot to mention: as you can see in the screenshots, this level contains many different areas. Each one has its own style, ambience and puzzles. These areas get progressively more difficult as you get closer to your final destination. Also, to be able to watch the "bizarre" alternate ending, you'll have to reach a secret bonus area and overcome some extra challenges.

I also wrote a complete walkthrough for the game, but I have yet to begin translating it to English. When it's done, I'll post it in the release thread.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 00:40:17 »
A new large multi-environment level. Yay! I'll be looking forward to this  :)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 16:39:05 »
Well, it's not really a large level... it's more like a medium sized one. Still, I think it has enough screens to make you busy for one or two hours (if you don't get stuck at a puzzle or a difficult platforming section). Anyway, if I don't have any unexpected visitors at home, I'll be releasing the beta this evening, so you'll be able to try it very soon :)
Some KS levels by me: