Poll

See the post for the explaination. Do you want this?

Yes, I don't mind posting it twice
24 (57.1%)
I don't have an opinion. Either way is fine.
10 (23.8%)
No. I think its a waste of forumspace. C'mon, we can wait!
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 28, 2009, 10:38:14

Temporary forums until Knyttlevels.com is done?

• 63 Replies

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary forums until Knyttlevels.com is done?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 22:51:01 »
I don't see how a temporary one could hurt. If people are worried about it being deleted when something better comes up, then they just shouldn't post, and should wait. I personally probably will wait, but I don't see how a temporary forum could hurt, as long as people understand it is temporary.  :)

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 23:01:06 »
Yes, it is necessary especially for new level-designers. Not having a levels board discourages level-making IMO.

Also, I second Blox. Exactly my opinion.

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 05:48:36 »
I think that the knyttlevels.com will be completed not too far away from now, so I don't think it is necessary.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 07:17:14 »
Guys. Remember you can say that your finished level is on Knyttlevels, or (if I remember correctly) change a preview thread into a level thread once you are done.
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 07:33:15 »
Guys. Remember you can say that your finished level is on Knyttlevels, or (if I remember correctly) change a preview thread into a level thread once you are done.

You can say the finished level is on the archive, but I think doing so would be essentially asking for the topic to be locked. You can't change a preview thread into a level thread, or you'd just be able to post level threads in the first place.
good bye

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 08:02:41 »
Right... I'm mistaken... hmmm :|
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 13:33:35 »
The poll already shows that a majority wants this, so I'm going to add the forum. Feel free to vote though, if you still haven't. The poll remains open for 7 days in total.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Rixanu

• Don't turn out the lights...
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 15:51:13 »
I think it's nice to have a place where level designers can post their levels in the meantime. I don't really think it's fair to make them wait to release them. Whether they care about re-posting or not is their problem. Based on what I'm hearing about the archive, it sounds like it's going to a fair amount more organized and efficient, which is something I like to see when doing something like downloading KS levels. Plus, I'm pretty sure LPChip mentioned that the archive has more space than the forum as well. I'm just wondering if the forum will be a lot less active as a result, as the old board was the "main attraction", so to speak.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 17:02:04 »
mind elaborating on what your personal opinion is, then? :huh:

Oh.
I think there doesn't need to be a temporary forum thing or whatever--although the idea of something taking up 'too much' forum space (on this forum with such relatively little activity, even) is pretty silly to me, but I also don't think there needs to be a separate site for submitting levels in the first place. As far as I've been concerned, the third-party levels board suited its purposes quite well enough (and, for that matter, was what many people seemed to come to the forum for).
However, the new levels archive is already under construction and there's no reason for me to stand against it--it would not make a difference, anyway.
But still, I feel like this was an unnecessary project for whomever to start on just to... make something look cool? I don't even know.
It doesn't really matter to me, because I do not frequent the forum like some people seem to, and who cares in the end, anyway? I've just generally noted some things are kind of off about the way things are taken care of at this forum.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 17:52:47 »
As far as I've been concerned, the third-party levels board suited its purposes quite well enough (and, for that matter, was what many people seemed to come to the forum for).

[...]

But still, I feel like this was an unnecessary project for whomever to start on just to... make something look cool? I don't even know.

I beg to differ. I didn't check those boards everyday, so anytime I was like... I want to play a KS level, I'd go there and get lost among all the new levels, many of them not especially good. Also, I was forced to chose a difficulty category (because that's how the subforum was divided), while I didn't really care about that.
Some times, in order to find a specific level, I was forced to browse through lots of pages.

To avoid all that mess, I sometimes went to knyttlevels.com. Well, there everything would be disorganised. Lots of versions of a level (and often none of them the latest), some good levels not there... You get the idea.

The solution  being worked on seems to cover all those problems. I don't understand why so many of you are unreceptive to this.

EDIT: And I even forgot to mention the tilesets and custom objects mess...

EDIT2: And I'm not saying this just because I'm a staff member.
In fact, I'm often against decisions made by the administration (and LPChip can confirm that for you), but I think this is one of those cases where they are doing exactly the right thing. You should stop complaining for a while. If I were him doing all this for you and always being pulled down, I might have lost motivation long ago. Really, let him do his thing and THEN either complain or show appreciation.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 18:08:16 by PONTO »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 19:06:37 »
The main reason I'm unreceptive to this is that levels will get much less attention.  With the forum, people can chat about all aspects of a level, with topics reaching over 5 pages for really good levels.  It's very rewarding for a designer to see one of his levels generating a lot of gossip.

With the archive, such levels will probably get around 30 comments over the course of a few days, and then it will almost completely stop.  This sort of thing happens with every custom level archive I've ever seen, so I doubt this one will be different.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 20:18:23 »
The main reason I'm unreceptive to this is that levels will get much less attention.  With the forum, people can chat about all aspects of a level, with topics reaching over 5 pages for really good levels.  It's very rewarding for a designer to see one of his levels generating a lot of gossip.

With the archive, such levels will probably get around 30 comments over the course of a few days, and then it will almost completely stop.  This sort of thing happens with every custom level archive I've ever seen, so I doubt this one will be different.

I guess there is only one way to find out.  I'm sure they will have a link up on the support forum for the level archive, I don't see how that is any different than actually having the levels on the forum, seeing as how it was all just links to other pages.  A simple click is all you need.
Teeeheee

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 20:22:24 »

Well, the link to the archive will pretty much be disguised as a link to a sub-forum, and its still the same community playing the levels and making comments, so that might not happen here.
I was going to come with a good suggestion for how to make sure that wont happen, but then I remembered that we are not allowed to do that until its either too late or Chips solution doesn't work. <_<
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 20:43:06 »
So once, the New Knytt Levels Archive is done, are we going to be able to link to a file we put on Knytt Levels or is that a no no? Are we going to be able to discuss a level on this site that is uploaded to KL or is commenting strictly limited to the archive site?

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 20:45:46 »
So once, the New Knytt Levels Archive is done, are we going to be able to link to a file we put on Knytt Levels or is that a no no? Are we going to be able to discuss a level on this site that is uploaded to KL or is commenting strictly limited to the archive site?
The point is that commenting will be limited to the archive. :S
grao!