Poll

See the post for the explaination. Do you want this?

Yes, I don't mind posting it twice
24 (57.1%)
I don't have an opinion. Either way is fine.
10 (23.8%)
No. I think its a waste of forumspace. C'mon, we can wait!
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 28, 2009, 10:38:14

Temporary forums until Knyttlevels.com is done?

• 63 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Temporary forums until Knyttlevels.com is done?
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:38:14 »
People are raising the question that we should have a place to put finished levels, here on the forum, for the time being.

I've had a chat with Paula about this. Although we both think its a bit pointless, we don't mind adding a temporary forum.

What does this mean?
We will make one forum where people can make a post to give people a link to their new Knytt Stories level. You will need to find a place to upload your levels, but that can be done at knyttlevels.com putting a link to that location.

Once the new system is ready, we will remove the temporary forum, meaning that you have to repost your level, and you'll loose all the comments you already had given.

We will not activelly moderate those topics where it comes to: a level must be conform a template. Its temporary, so we're not going to put that much energy in it.

After reading this, do you still want to have a temporary forum for the time being, even if the new system could be ready in 2 weeks? (I can't say when its ready though, but in 2 weeks is an option if things go well)

The poll will expire in 7 days from now, after which the results will be made public. You cannot change your vote, so vote wiselly.

As you may have noticed when looking at the forum index, the temporary forum is already set up now, since it became obvious quickly enough that those in favour of the idea were the majority. So...yeah.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 17:39:20 by Miss Paula »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: Temporary forums until Knyttlevels.com is done?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:06:20 »
I think we can wait. In my opinion, it's going to be worse if people get all their comments deleted.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:20:16 »
I don't mind posting my levels twice. We will have to do so anyways with all our old levels that were not on the archive anyways.
Also, i have no problems with the comments being deleted. I'm not making levels for popularity or anything like that, just for the fun in creating something fun. I don't need to hear a compliment or criticism twice to understand it.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 14:11:09 »
In fact, I think posting twice can help increase the popularity of your level where there is more people. Then, when you go to post it on knyttlevels.com, people will look for your level.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 15:33:01 »
I can wait, actually.  I hope it wont be too long, but I can wait.  I do have a question, I think I read that people will not be able to comment on your levels through KL.com, is this true?
Teeeheee

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 15:56:08 »
Although I won't use it myself, I believe a temporary forum should be created.  I know there are a lot of people who want it.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 16:13:36 »
I think I read that people will not be able to comment on your levels through KL.com, is this true?

According to my information, it's absolutely not true. X)
Look:
Once I got that working correctly, I will start adding the ability to upload levels. After that, I will make something to query the levels using different ways, like: by author, date added (newest), then I'll add support for commenting on a level, cus at that stage you'll actually be able to browse them. Then I will add a rating system, and from there I probably take requests.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 16:41:19 »
We can wait. I agree with PONTO, there would be a bunch of helpful comments getting deleted if we made a temporary forum.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 17:29:30 »
Yes, there should definitely be a temporary forum. Personally I don't think moving to the archive is a good idea at all, but it seems a decision has been made and not likely to be changed, so whatever. We do at least need somewhere to post our levels until the archive is done. One thing: Reading your post, I get the impression we won't be allowed to post levels as attachments anymore. Is that the case? 

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 17:57:56 »
Erm, why are we switching from having a third party levels board to having a separate website in the first place? :S
good bye

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 18:51:21 »
Erm, why are we switching from having a third party levels board to having a separate website in the first place? :S

I read somewhere something about it taking up a lot of space (maybe 'cause it's the most popular board?) which could be 'better' used for... whatever new things are being put on this forum. I think it was LPChip who said this.
I think. I think.

Also, this poll makes it seem like what the higher-ups are doing is okay no matter which option you choose, which does not coincide with my personal opinion.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 18:53:25 by KG »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 19:57:57 »
mind elaborating on what your personal opinion is, then? :huh:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 20:02:34 »
Whatever happens, happens.  There is no use in fighting it, they already know what they want to do.  You don't know how things will turn out until they have actually been put into motion, keep your mind open and welcome new things instead of throwing everything to the curb because it is something you don't THINK will be good.  I don't even think this poll is necessary, just keep your levels and wait until KL.com is ready, you might, in fact, like it.
Teeeheee

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 20:33:54 »
Because you will be able to browse the levels much more easily, it will have a rating sytem so that you can find good levels easily, unlike the current site, you will be able to delete oder versions of levels... Just advantages, really, I can't see why people are so skeptic about this, since you will be able to do everything you used to (upload and comment levels) and a lot more.

Considering that, it makes no sense to have subforum for the exact same thing, but with less functionality. What is being debated is if it is justified to have a temporary one, while you wait. LPChip already said he is willing to create that. Still, it's pointless because everything is going to be deleted later... :/

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 22:24:37 »
I think one word can sum this up: Yesthatwouldbeagreatideawereallyneedtodothis! :)

Seriously, I think calling something a waste of forum space on a small forum is kind of ridiculous. :/
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.