About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself

• 131 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2009, 18:39:17 »
Its illegal to capture the audio and video from existing material. The license that comes with the material will tell you that its for viewing/listening purposes only and that no copy in any form whatsoever is allowed.

Someone thought to be smart and recorded music from an internet radio and offered those recording for free download. He still got caught for copyright violations and had to remove all his stuff and pay a fine.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2009, 05:34:03 »
A lot of the stuff I got was extracted with GCFscape or XWE.
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here
My Youtube *Contains NSFW*

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2009, 00:26:45 »
Tell ya what, I'll pick out three users, PM them and let them beta test my level once it's finished, and see what they think. I used the Ambiance from those games because it best describes the Xorons and their planet.
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here
My Youtube *Contains NSFW*

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:32 »
AHEM i am a noob! anyways everyone ignore my "Tilesets/COs" post, i feel stupid now. :moody:
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline pez

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2010, 05:30:15 »
....it would be non-human to just abuse someone's music without having permission. How would you feel if you spend 2 months to work on something and you're proud of? Then you learn that someone used what you made in a crappy movie or level or whatever without even asking you? I certainly would be really pissed.

I'm not sure of how I would feel. But i think that instead of being really pissed, i would be proud and glad that someone thought my work of art was good enough to use in their own work. As long as they did not claim it as their own of course. However, this was not my opinion some time ago... but i've changed my mind about that. If i make something i'm proud of, i do not hide it in my basement and lock the door.
Do you even make music, or graphics that you really are proud of?

I do, and I had an occasion that really pissed me of.

Someone had made a knytt stories level that allowed you to do dancing music using shifts and so. It was quite buggy and not that cool either. It was just a fun level to play. Someone had put a song I'm really proud on in the background and played that level badly to make it dance on my music. This person did so wtihout my permission nor the permission of the person who made the level. I really didn't liked it at all. Tried even to get it off using youtube's privacy infrigment, but they didn't wanted to remove it.

And I'm really not the only person who feels like this. It occasionally happens that when I have made a song and someone asks me for permission to use it in their work that I say no. But I usually have another song or am willing to make something equally so they don't go home empty handed. Not to mention that some songs are actually licensed. Meaning that its illegal to use them anyway.
What's your problem? I don't think anyone would agree with you. If someone releases a song for free and some guy puts that song as the background music to one of his youtube videos, he wouldn't not be pissed and nobody would complain to youtube and get it taken down for copyright infringement. That's insane why would you do that?

The important thing is for art to be created. If free stuff you've released is a part of someone's creative vision for a project, and they work it into what they create, something positive has happened. You got pissed off because he didn't ask your permission, making you egotistical (my imagined rights override any creative vision you have) and petty (Ask real nice and maybe I'll let you).

(I do notice you're an admin but I hope admin action won't interfere with what are, I assure you, honest sentiments from someone who hopes to get involved in the KS community - I just discovered the game)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:52 »
I forgive you. You obviously haven't seen the movie in question on youtube that thankfully has been removed now.

The biggest issue that I have with this, is that my musical skills are to be considered professional. The movie displayed a very childish movie that really sucked (got lots of 1 star ratings) and it mentioned my name and my music in it, as if I work with people that make this kind of stuff a lot. This is bad for my image and it could easily prevent professional organizations from contacting me for a music deal. Perhaps its just me, but I really doubt that people who are good at something will like to see their work being associated with something really bad. Ever made a very awesome graphic, that is put in a sucky game? Picture a lo-fi game with no graphics, but only single color shapes, and suddenly you see a very beautiful tree that you made and published on the internet on deviant art. The guy does give you credit, but never contacted you about the usage. Aren't you at least a bit offended by such action?

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2010, 15:17:44 »
I forgive you. You obviously haven't seen the movie in question on youtube that thankfully has been removed now.

The biggest issue that I have with this, is that my musical skills are to be considered professional. The movie displayed a very childish movie that really sucked (got lots of 1 star ratings) and it mentioned my name and my music in it, as if I work with people that make this kind of stuff a lot. This is bad for my image and it could easily prevent professional organizations from contacting me for a music deal. Perhaps its just me, but I really doubt that people who are good at something will like to see their work being associated with something really bad. Ever made a very awesome graphic, that is put in a sucky game? Picture a lo-fi game with no graphics, but only single color shapes, and suddenly you see a very beautiful tree that you made and published on the internet on deviant art. The guy does give you credit, but never contacted you about the usage. Aren't you at least a bit offended by such action?

*sigh* No, at least I wouldn't. So what if it's not a quality game or video or whatever? Is your work so important and recognized that it can be used in only the biggest, most important high-budget games and such? And anyway, he gave you credit. If he claimed it was his, I would be offended. If he did not credit anyone, I'd assume he forgot (or that he did not know WHO was actually the original author: perhaps he got it from some forum or somesuch) and simply contact him about it, let him know it was mine, keep on making games, yours truly, that kind of stuff. If someone uses your work in a project of theirs, it means that they respect you and think your work is cool, not that they're evil hungry leeches who want to steal your stuff.

Also, even single color shapes and that beautiful tree are graphics. Graphics are graphics, no matter how butt-ugly they are. A game with no graphics is a text adventure, though some DO have graphics.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2010, 16:01:06 »
The entire point I want to make is: Since I feel offended by something like this, others might too, and for that reason you should always ask.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2011, 17:02:50 »
Art is up to the artist, but the artist needs to understand that he cannot enforce the rules he writes.

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2011, 03:49:20 »
So, technically you could use music that isn't copyrighted?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2011, 10:23:15 »
So, technically you could use music that isn't copyrighted?
Everything that is created automatically has copyright until it expires (which is a long time). Copyright protected material sometimes can be used in your projects if their attached license allows it.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2012, 13:15:24 »
I was thinking about making a level, which would have the same plot, as one old pc dos game (The Legend of Kyrandia), even I wouldn't make it 100% same. Do you think it would be fine?

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2012, 22:35:23 »
Does it use the same characters as the old game as well? If not, I'd say go for it! Plots have always been in a fishy gray area as far as copyright is concerned.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2012, 22:39:12 »
I agree with Healy. Unless you're talking about a story that is so well known that everybody will recognize that story, you should be able to use the plot if you change enough details. In this case, you will be "inspired" by that story. If you want to give credits, you can say you were inspired by this dosgame.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2012, 22:57:30 »
I agree with Healy. Unless you're talking about a story that is so well known that everybody will recognize that story, you should be able to use the plot if you change enough details. In this case, you will be "inspired" by that story. If you want to give credits, you can say you were inspired by this dosgame.
That's great. I'll try to make it!