About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself

• 131 Replies

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
Re: About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2009, 22:21:07 »
Allright, the company I emailed hasn't replied in a week. In the meantime it gives me free access to use it, until they finally reply.
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here
My Youtube *Contains NSFW*

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2009, 23:35:08 »
Never ever does a lack of response mean 'I can use this because they didn't say I couldn't'.
Instead of using it, you should probably try finding a free (as in free to use) alternative. As in, spend your time looking for something you can use, instead of waiting for the company to reply that you can use what you wanted. If you look hard enough, you may find something better (or as good) as what you can't use, and you can avoid the hassles altogether. If a company doesn't respond it's probably a 'no', or a 'we didn't see it yet'.

In short, it's always a NO unless specifically stated otherwise. No assuming.

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2009, 00:10:47 »
I think that was LPChip's advice for me to use it if they don't respond, but delete the level if they say no.
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2009, 01:08:35 »
Which is rather strange, honestly.  You're pretty much getting the worst of both worlds: you'll be doing something illegal, AND if they say no you'll lose all the "hard work" you speak of.

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2009, 07:56:37 »
Oh my god here he comes again. Screw it, i'm leaving this thread. Minmay is just going to keep bugging me with his stupid annoying little kid imagination.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:59:36 by Lizzaroro »

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:36 »
Waaiiiiiittt.

How come when people upload copyrighted music to youtube, how come they never get in trouble? D:

and
Still, you'd have to be a big jerk to fine anyone for using their song in a amateur, nonprofit level... <_<

The RIAA has gone after 12-year-olds, dead people, and people without computers. Being a jerk is not a problem for them.

ah, here it is: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6873.cfm and 8 year old http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/06/lawsuit-riaa-li/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:34:04 by Evil »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2009, 10:55:18 »
Oh my god here he comes again. Screw it, i'm leaving this thread. Minmay is just going to keep bugging me with his stupid annoying little kid imagination.
Feel free to break the law then, I guess. If you don't want to listen to people trying to help you just because you don't like what they are saying, then why should anyone help you at all?
minimay is right. You WOULD be breaking the law, and if your level would risk being taken down. This has nothing to do with opinion or imagination.

How come when people upload copyrighted music to youtube, how come they never get in trouble? D:
Youtube takes down hundreds of videos every day for copyright infringement. The reason that videos with copyrighted music stay up for so long is because the companies that own the copyright haven't found them yet.
Youtube doesn't look for those videos themselves, and the copyright holders don't have the time to go up on Youtube to see if someone is using their stuff.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 13:07:27 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 12:47:41 »
Feel free to break the law then, I guess. If you don't want to listen to people trying to help you, just because you don't like what they are saying, then why should anyone help you at all?
minimay is right. You WOULD be breaking the law, and if your level would risk being taken down. This has nothing to do with opinion or imagination.

He wasn't warning me, he was telling me it was a bad thing and also saying my level was a piece of crap at the same time. That's why I ignored him. I would have taken advice if he wasn't saying things like "Your level has stuff u didn't make? your level is crap!!!" you don't have to say that, it's really easy to just say something this useless flaming. Might as well make this level private then, or.

Another alternative could be removing the music, is the ambiance allright to use?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:52:03 by Lizzaroro »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2009, 13:11:02 »
Another alternative could be removing the music, is the ambiance allright to use?
Not if its copyrighted. Ambiance  shouldn't be too hard to find online though. Just check out freesound.org.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2009, 00:52:01 »
Not if its copyrighted. Ambiance  shouldn't be too hard to find online though. Just check out freesound.org.

Hmm... couldn't find anything for a good future atmosphere.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2009, 01:49:09 »
Ambient sounds are pretty easy to make yourself using a VST.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 02:30:01 »
That's exactly what I do to create unusual BG noise, since I neither have a good working microphone nor a functional galactic cruiser.

I'm attaching some [rather lame] examples and releasing them as public domain.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:32:12 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Saml

• now I've got a pie turtle too
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2009, 04:31:30 »
I have an A443 N.V.V.A battlecruiser in full working order if anyone wants to borrow it.
Specs:

-Size: 4220 meters x 200 meters x 410 meters

-Drive: StarWorksTM unipolar compressed ion drive, class 232

-Reactor: BMNtechTM GF12 (high-Freem version) with an added 4 output slots so you can extend the weapon baseline (I haven't used those yet, they're still open)

-Defense fields: 2 NakahamaTM turtleshells and a supplementary custom VFP array

-Hull: Triple cured vorilium with a few SX-TT alloy patches

-Weapons: Six KaiserTM eight-meter destabilized fast-pulse quasers and a 12 meter triple-barrel silicon-plasma cannon.

As I said before, happy to lend  it out to anyone who needs to record anything.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Now that stars are official, I can go wild down here! :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:
Quote from: Nifflas
There are many things you can explode. Cats, paintings of fruit, Kaknästornet, factories...

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2009, 07:33:45 »
Would taking screenshots from music videos be considered illegal too?

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2009, 17:37:02 »
Considering that the music itself is most likely copyrighted, I would think that the music videos themselves would also be copyrighted.
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!