About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself

• 131 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 08:34:09 »
Well, the only one I've messed with so far was said quick tileset template, so I assume that was one kind of made for player made material. And I did see one stating "do not use this tileset", I've been trying to pay close attention to the little credits down there so I think I'll be okay.

Ah, the template one is actually a starting reference for people to make their own tilesets.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 23:35:41 »
This really has very little to do with the topic and I understand the legality of certain issues doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the forum members, but I'm sick of living in an age where a person can get sued for anything.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 01:17:24 »
This really has very little to do with the topic and I understand the legality of certain issues doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the forum members, but I'm sick of living in an age where a person can get sued for anything.

Even creative commons cant save you in court D:

But I guess you can say its free promotion :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:20:10 by Evil »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:33 »
Even creative commons cant save you in court D:

...with CC, you're unlikely to be in court in the first place.
good bye

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 02:46:45 »
I'm all for respecting copyrights and stuff, but it really hurts when somebody no matter how famous or not, gets their song(s) used in a level without credit or the maker of the level not trying to contact the person who made the music. travel eastward is a good example. a very good ambient music artist, biosphere, has a song used, and so do several other artists and they are not credited at all.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 22:51:17 »
So the fact that there's no commercial benefit, no profit (etc.) gained by making a knytt level doesn't affect anything?
Wha wha wha?
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2009, 22:56:25 »
So the fact that there's no commercial benefit, no profit (etc.) gained by making a knytt level doesn't affect anything?
Wha wha wha?

Indeed. Most people would probably say that its insane to sue, but since it is still considered illegal, they can win that case. It are often those people that value money over moral that will sue you, but unfortunatelly, those people still exist.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2009, 11:39:01 »
I don't think that copyright is such a big deal, when it comes to ks levels. As long as the artist/s get a rightfull credit then its cool. And its just a ks level, nit doesn't matter. The artist/s would never find out (unless the artist is on the forum) and even if the artist/s would find out why would he/she/they care about it other then "oh, look! my music is in this level. cool!".

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2009, 11:52:30 »
I have no words to describe this. Either I delete a nearly an entire years worth of level making or I ignore the rules and just upload it. It's not like if I upload a level with the ambiance and music from other games, SWAT helicopters will come down and arrest me then take me to court for this. Now I feel too scared to even upload the level.
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here
My Youtube *Contains NSFW*

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 12:26:38 »
Even if you just upload it to mediafire and post it in niffchat, please don't delete it! Having said that, try and find free equivilants for the audio you used, and at least make sure everyone is credited.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 15:28:19 »
I could say: you better had thought of that before you started, but that obviously will not do any good. The only thing I can say is this: You should not post it in a public place such as a forum because that is one of the ways those people will find you, and our rules do not allow you to post it here. Uploading it somewhere and sharing that to friends is acceptable though. I still wouldn't do that, but since you worked so hard on it, that's an option.

Alternatively you could change all copyrighted content for home made stuff that looks alike. Chances are less big that you get sued for doing a parody. (though those chances still exist)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2009, 06:01:00 »
This should have been mentioned on the game itself, When I upload it I will at least credit the Companies, and give names.

If it was a commercial game mod I was making I would get permission to use it, but this is a level for a freeware indie game.
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 18:50:43 »
You mention nearly an entire year's worth of levelmaking.  That implies you used tilesets from another game.  Did you seriously not think of that before you made the level?
Furthermore, it is mentioned on the editor's title screen that you should get permission before using content you did not make yourself.

Either way, even if you did use tilesets, you could draw something very similar, with the same tile layout.  It's a sneaky jerk move if you claim it to be original, but it will keep things legal.

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 06:39:04 »
Since when did I ever say I stole tilesets... Read before you post...

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:01 »
Since when did I ever say I stole tilesets... Read before you post...

Minmay used the word "implies", and "even if you did use tilesets", meaning that it was an assumption on his part, not taken straight from your post. He actually offered advice that could help you.

This should have been mentioned on the game itself

At least acknowledge when you are proven wrong. Like Minmay pointed out, the KS Editor - the software that you presumably used for your levelmaking - has the following text right on the opening page:

"Custom levels can also contain their own custom graphics and music files, but care should be taken to obtain the consent of the original author(s) to allow their use in the custom levels." (Emphasis mine)

If that doesn't spell it out clearly enough, I don't know what does. You have no-one but yourself to blame and all your options have been outlined already.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:25:00 by SiamJai »