[normal][misc/challenge] Missing by Xiphos

• 7 Replies

Offline xiphos

• View Profile
[normal][misc/challenge] Missing by Xiphos
« on: July 31, 2010, 15:43:48 »
Hi all,

looking to get some comments for my level (second attempt at a knytt stories level)

I got a friend to play it before I put it up here, so I'm hoping that it's not going to have too many problems and that they found any major issues eg. wall swims..
although they had difficultly understanding what the story was about..

mainly, it deals with Juni as she tries to deal with an undefined problem in her life.

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Xiphos%20-%20Missing2.knytt.bin (with yellow key)
http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Xiphos%20-%20Missing.knytt.bin

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 23:29:40 by xiphos »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [normal][misc/challenge] Missing by Xiphos
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 17:51:12 »
I liked it. I think the story was fine. I had a pretty good idea of what she was looking for by the end.

There's grass on layer 3 @ x999y1002. It's on the save point which causes a swim after spawning. I saw no other errors.

Spoiler: Intentional? (click to show/hide)

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 18:10:02 »
I liked it too! The umbrella ride while the chasers are after you was a bit tricky but fun.

I checked the level editor and
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Good work. Keep it up!

Offline xiphos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 23:15:52 »
hey guys, thanks for the comments!

um.. if there's no yellow key.. that means that the level uploader didn't actually overwrite my old version with my new one (where i'd put in the yellow key and fixed a couple of other issues too).

:( ah oh well..

hang on.. how'd you finish the game if there was no yellow key? did u have to use the level editor?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 23:22:06 by xiphos »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:38 »
Jump from there with the umbrella open. The red key is unnecessary too.

Offline Antikythera

• The Great Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 05:58:59 »
Egomassive, there's still the matter of the yellow key doors on the way down there.

This level was... Well, I really liked the avant garde storytelling. However, the gameplay and level design were severely lacking. I would say more thought and practice put into design would really compliment your story. And as for the story itself, I enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed more structure, as it seemed mostly a bunch of things that sound cool instead of one unified event in Juni's past. I understand it is supposed to be mysterious, but I still think you could benefit by starting stories off more tamely.

One thing I did like was the "keep running" sign. I know that seeing "LET ME OUT" flash across the screen could have sent chills down my spine, if only the level itself were a little more unified and coherent!
Menagerie - 25%
Skyline Spires - 5%
A Golden Hymn - 0%

The Great Machine, Antikythera, which grinds the blood of men into history.

Offline xiphos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 13:43:05 »
thanks :) yeah I guess because I was putting the level together in bits and pieces rather than starting with a big idea of where I wanted it to go, it ended up being a bit patchy in terms of the story I was trying to get at.

I'll try and keep that in mind for future levels!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 16:18:14 »
@Antikythera: The first version xiphos released was very different from the current one. The only yellow door was in the next screen.

I haven't played the latest version, but I looked at it in the editor. It looks even better than before.