[Challenge/Puzzle][Medium][Hard] The Legend of the White Elephant

• 57 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [Challenge/Puzzle][Normal/Hard] The Legend of the White Elephant
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 11:27:59 »
What... a glitch? :S How? Where? I would greatly appreciate it if you explained it to me.

* Vegetal grabs his bug-hunting rifle *
Some KS levels by me:

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 19:55:53 »
Thanks, I got the umbrella just before you posted that, and now I'm considerably farther, and enjoying it even more. Very fun! Harder than I thought it would be though.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 13:25:38 »
Glad you're enjoying the level  :^^:  Originally, I was shooting for a Normal difficulty level, but I kinda got carried away at some screens :P It's just as Sleem said before, the difficulty category should be something like "increasingly hard". Still, I don't think there is any challenge or puzzle in the game that qualifies as Lunatic or Very Hard. After all, my beta-testers were all novice players and still managed to complete the entire game with only a few hints (although one of them threw a barrage of insults at me when he reached the secret area... ungrateful jerk X) )

EDIT: FAQ/Walkthrough added to the first post as an attached text file (finally!!). It's probably very poorly written, but feel free to give it a shot if you need a hint or two.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 20:38:53 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
Just finished, didn't get to the secret yet, but I'll check it out. Lovely ending!!
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Thanks, and congrats on finishing the game :)  Good luck on getting the secret ending.

By the way, I made an optimized version of this level for Knytt Stories DS, just in case any of you is interested in playing this level on the DS (God knows why you would want to, but...). I'll post again when I've uploaded the file (the first post will be updated with the new link). Also, I'll post a bit of random useless trivia about the game, just for kicks :P
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Looks like we're both having the same dilemma. I'm trying to wait for version 1.0 of this level, and your trying to wait for version 1.0 of my latest level. That's hilarious. I fear you might lose interest or free time and not complete it as so many do, or I'll forget about your level and it will get lost among the thousands of unremarkable levels. (Just to clarify, I'm not saying this level is unremarkable.)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Well, I can tell you that the only thing the current version of my level lacks is the coloring in a few cutscene illustrations. Everything else will be exactly the same in the final version, save for a few minor edits I may or not do. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much stuck with 0.9.1 version until my artist can finally finish coloring these illustrations... and she's extremely busy right now, so I'll probably have to wait for an entire month (maybe even more :S ). Truth is, I finished building this level in January, and then waited for two months... until I finally decided to release it as a "beta" (even though it's pretty much complete).

Basically, if you want to play this level, I'd suggest doing so right now. When the final version is finally ready, you can just open the game folder manually and have a look at the intro/ending colored illustrations. Just don't expect a masterpiece... this is my first level after all :oops:

As for your level... well, at first I wanted to wait a bit more, because it looks absolutely kick-ass and a level like that deserves to be enjoyed without bugs that might spoil the experience. But then again... I'm afraid I may not have enough patience. Urge to play... rising X) Well, if you tell me you're going to release the final version next week, I can wait.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
When you said you had an artist helping you I was expecting a truckload of cutscenes. If it's just the intro and outro, then I guess it's not a big deal. That preview shot is so good. Makes me want to make some watercolors myself.

Go ahead and play my level. I made it in like 9 to 10 days. I'm worn out, and I don't expect to finalize it for month. Most people seem to be making it to the end without bug trouble.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
I liked the level a lot. Both you and your sister did a great job!

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

The difficulty is Hard I think. Defenitely not Normal. Also, as I understand, the "Normal/Hard" difficulty is for levels that provide a way to choose between the two.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Glad you liked the level :)  Oh, and thanks a bunch for reporting those bugs :D  The first one was already fixed in my current copy (thanks, Adam!), but I didn't notice the other two. The final version will address all these problems. In the meantime, I might release an update patch, like egomassive did with his latest level.

Also, you're right about the Normal/Hard difficulty. When I was making this level, I wasn't sure of which difficulty category I should assign to it... so I picked both Normal and Hard, because I thought that meant there were both normal and hard parts in the game. Noob mistake :P  I'll probably change it to "Hard" in the final version.

Some KS levels by me:

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Oops... :oops: Just checked those screens. You're right. I'll have to fix them (at least the path to the pagoda, but I think I'll leave the hologram screen like that... I'll just make that jump a bit more difficult).

Thanks!
Some KS levels by me:

Not done with the level yet but so far it seems pretty good. I just have one small problem with it. Your level is kind of long (as in acual horizontal length) and theres a whole lot of going back and forth across the majority if not the entire length of the map, especially if the player doesn't know exactly where to go. Theres also a couple of instances where you allow us to go a considerable ways through a portion of the level before revealing to the player that they went the wrong direction and can't go any further without a powerup thats situated all the way back where they started (the umbrella puzzle in the desert is a good example if I remember correctly.

But that wasn't really too serious of a problem overall, so great level and keep it up! :)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Thank you for your feedback :)  Yes, it's true that you must do quite a bit of backtracking in order to beat this level. I tried to imitate the "Metroidvania" gameplay style, where you have to explore the scenario and figure for yourself what you need and what places can be reached with your current abilities... but I guess I should have put more clues along the way, even if they were just subtle hints. Not everybody enjoys running back and forth through the entire map just for one particular item :P (this applies specially to the last part of the game, Tarugami, which is located at the rightmost part of the level... so be sure to get every power-up before attempting to cross it).

I'll have this in mind for future levels. Hope you enjoy the rest of the game :)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline jubei

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 18:08:37 »
sadly the file for knytt stories ds is not available anymore. would you be so glad to reupload it? thanks!