[Tileset] Underground lab

• 25 Replies

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
Re: [Tileset] Underground lab
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 15:03:19 »
Had some time today, so I tweaked this a little bit.

Still a long way to go, but somethings happening now at least.
Better? Worse? Ideas?
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:00:06 »
The colors are still way too "sharp," but the addition of the shading really helps.  Pretty much all the mentioned flaws are still there, of course, and you might want to make a more interesting ground texture or thicken the lines in the current one.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 01:36:48 »
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but... If it's underground, why are there windows?

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 12:56:01 »
@minmay: Thank you for your help, I think I know what to do know 8D

@egomassive: Hahaha :P2 I can't believe I missed that XD. The windows go pretty well together with the tileset though, so I'll keep them and will change the name.

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 23:54:21 »
I'm back to working on this.

I submitted something to the "great art" level using this tileset. And I got really inspired C)p

So I'm back to working on this! But I've hit a dead end, I don't know what else to add..
The window is going, the crate and the two tiles below it are going, so that's 6 tiles I don't know what to do with.

I would appreciate ideas, as well as comments and criticism of course :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 13:20:59 »
How about alternate center tiles for your red and blue ground. Something that breaks up the pattern in large areas. A slight alteration like darkening the center parallelogram would do it.

Signs and switches are always useful.

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 16:25:30 »
Those are great ideas, thank you 8)

I'll get to work C)p

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 00:12:11 »
I just can't handle the plastic blue and red.  I hope you don't mind, but I did a real quick recolor to show you what I think would look better.

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 02:28:13 »
Hmm.. I'm not sure.

I do like your colours, but it's not really what I'm going for. I want there to be lots of colours C)p

I will definately consider changing the colours though, as I see your point. But they would still be very colourfull.

Attaching my final edit before I go on vacation tomorrow 8) I think it's improoved MASSIVELY since I posted here. Thank you guys so much for all your comments!

Not quite done yet, but getting there :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 04:01:22 »
Wow, big changes this time. The new ground shapes are going to make this a very usable tileset. The rearrange was a good idea too. It'll be easier to find the pieces you need and to see how they connect.

I, for one, miss the green sludge even though it wasn't that good. I have an idea. You should make a sister set, one with radio-active green and another color, orange maybe. A warm color would be best. Then, add some other small changes like the shape of the pendant hanging from the chain or the mysterious device in the lower-right. With a matching pair of sets a designer could build a richer cohesive level.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 13:46:43 »
Yeah, I agree with ego.  The green was one of the things that caught my eye in your competition entry and a complimentary version would help that out a lot.  There where a few other things you cut out that  I didn't think where all that bad, like the glowing circles, but they obviously just took up useful space.  A second set would let you include some alternate stuff.

As for color, I guess it is a matter of opinion.  When I see straight red and blue and I don't actually think color, I think plastic child's toy.  When I see a good painting, or frankly, one of Nifflas' tilesets as he rocks at this, the colors are intense because of how subtly blended and contrasted they are.  There is an art to making color colorful, and it almost never works out with straight, unblended colors.  In my not so humble opinion.   C)p