Why are we not allowed to talk about things here?

• 9 Replies

Offline drwright

• View Profile
Why are we not allowed to talk about things here?
« on: March 20, 2009, 16:15:36 »
It seems as if free thought and ideas are being frowned upon here... I do not understand posts like the following:

Code: [Select]
"Why does every topic about knyttstories levels is resulting in people giving their suggestions?

Each time I see one, I lock such topic. So now you know!

*locked*"
What is wrong with us discussing the future of a fan site and talking about the love of a game and what we would like to see? The old forum was filled with love and community, this one is beginning to feel like oppression and "if you don't like it go somewhere else." Are these the views of Nifflas?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Why are we not allowed to talk about things here?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 16:26:37 »
Please don't get me wrong here, but topics were going off-topic, and as I pointed out earlier, I'd like people to wait with giving suggestions about the knyttlevels.com page until I have something functional. Alot of suggestions are made already, and it got me sidetracked enough to have alot of difficulty right now to get it working. I simply fear that the more suggestions are being made, the less chance there will be that I ever complete the system. Thats obviously the last thing I want. Its not that you can't talk about it at all, but not right now.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 14:23:54 »
I'd like people to wait with giving suggestions about the knyttlevels.com page until I have something functional

Can I request that we'll get a big ol' notification when the Knytt Levels site is ready to have suggestions / comments, etc? I don't mean to sound pushy at all, you've done a great job with this forum and fixing all the problems, etc...

EDIT: Sorry if this is necromancy!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 17:53:16 »
Uh, that would be when the first installment would be publicly online, I suppose, and I guess such news will be made obvious. X)

although some people are able to overlook just about everything... :moody:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:57:42 »
Please don't get me wrong here, but topics were going off-topic, and as I pointed out earlier, I'd like people to wait with giving suggestions about the knyttlevels.com page until I have something functional. Alot of suggestions are made already, and it got me sidetracked enough to have alot of difficulty right now to get it working. I simply fear that the more suggestions are being made, the less chance there will be that I ever complete the system.

How is discussing what you would like to see on the new site in a topic about it "off-topic"?
And it's not like you have to take every suggestion. Even if someone asks for something you want to include, you don't need to make it as soon as it's suggested. You could just work on the core site first, and then add stuff.
(At least I think you could. I know nothing about web design.)
Anyway, the point is, it seems silly to tell people not to talk about it. What is discussing it going to change?
(This is just my opinion, I'm not trying to argue.)

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 17:31:33 »
Its not motivating to work on a project if you see that it takes a huge amount of work. By minimising the view of the project I can better work on the project. Its just how I do things, or I won't get things done at all. I've experienced this the hard way already, and I'm gonna let that happen again.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:57:55 »
Its not motivating to work on a project if you see that it takes a huge amount of work. By minimising the view of the project I can better work on the project. Its just how I do things, or I won't get things done at all. I've experienced this the hard way already, and I'm gonna let that happen again.
I can see why you would get upset when you see that something takes a lot of work, but if you would listen to what people are saying it may end up being less work because you can get it right the first time. Besides, your being so sensitive to this is hurting the community, and we just want to help. We appreciate what you do and are only trying to make your job easier.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:22 »
Maybe, then, when a topic is made, the name could include a "Looking for suggestions" as part of the name if they want suggestions... everyone has different work ethics. If they don't include that or something similar in their title, then the topic may be locked if suggestions are made. Would this be an acceptable compromise?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 08:17:25 »
It's not that no one can give suggestions on anything, just not the new level archive, which I find a bit unreasonable since it's a huge thing and everyone wants to talk about it, but they aren't allowed to. I actually think the archive would end up better if people could give ideas.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:16:17 »
Don't get me wrong, you may give feedback, but not before I finished the first stage, which also is the hardest. If I'm spending more time on checking the suggestions, I loose track of that first stage. Besides, It tends to happen to see people having suggestions that conflict with eachother technicalwise. Besides, I have a fair understanding of what people want already, and I have studied webdevelopment, so in order to create a good system, I need to lay down the basics and work from there. Having people post suggestions and not read them and then haveing alot of catch-up to do (and possibly miss one or two) is alot harder than just to ask everyone to wait a little, check the first demo, and give feedback from there.

MODPlug Central Forum