[Environmental] - Ancient Lands

• 91 Replies

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
[Environmental] - Ancient Lands
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:36:12 »
This is a level I have started, it is called The Ancient Lands.
I really want this level to be big, free flowing, and most of all, nice to look at. I am drawing inspiration from A strange dream, and also Metroid games. (Why Metroid you say? Environments and atmosphere play a huge part in those games, and make it believable). I plan to have all custom content, and I plan to have only environmental obstacles, thus, you won't see any enemies. As usual, like all of my levels, it will feature my own tilesets. Now, if I don't update in a while, it's probably because I am working on other projects. (I seem to have many). Anyway, enough blabing, let's get to the screenshots!

Spoiler: Screenies (click to show/hide)

So, enjoy.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 19:57:40 by BloxMaster »

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Maze] - Ancient Lands
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:38:03 »
this looks amazing. you are a great tileset maker
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:45:46 »
I don't say this often, but that tileset is utterly epic; it is without flaw.
The layouts of those screens, however, look very odd.  Maybe it won't be like that when I play the level though.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:58:23 »
To me, it seems that the foreground clashes too much with the background. :/
Also, an environmental level can only be environmental, nothing else.

Either way, this definitely has potential. :3
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:17:36 »
I'd say that environmental levels can't be anything else, but I won't.

I really like the screens.
good bye

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:48:51 »
Does the classification even matter?  It's a preview, guys.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:50:37 »
Does the classification even matter?  It's a preview, guys.
I dunno. I'm not a mod. ;)

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:25 »
I posted this with Environmental/Maze because, guess what? That's what it is. I'm not in the mood to discuss this, because, honestly, that rule never made sense. I'm not really happy with that rule, because I think the level falls perfectly into the categories I labelled it as, and I don't intend to change it. So while it can be said that I'm not following the 'rules', some rules are meant to be broken, and this is one of them. It makes no sense at all why 'environmental levels cannot be something else'. Because it is part of a maze makes it no longer environmental? That's really dumb and I don't mind saying so. So, I'm sorry to have to butcher my own topic for this, and I know it's going to turn into a lot of critical feedback, but the tags are correct, despite any rules.

EDIT: After feedback on the background from several people, I think I might try to change it a bit. I do want to thank everyone tho, for commenting on the screens themselves.  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:41:07 by BloxMaster »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:21 »
I posted this with Environmental/Maze because, guess what? That's what it is. I'm not in the mood to discuss this, because, honestly, that rule never made sense. I'm not really happy with that rule, because I think the level falls perfectly into the categories I labelled it as, and I don't intend to change it. So while it can be said that I'm not following the 'rules', some rules are meant to be broken, and this is one of them. It makes no sense at all why 'environmental levels cannot be something else'. Because it is part of a maze makes it no longer environmental? That's really dumb and I don't mind saying so. So, I'm sorry to have to butcher my own topic for this, and I know it's going to turn into a lot of critical feedback, but the tags are correct, despite any rules.

EDIT: After feedback on the background from several people, I think I might try to change it a bit. I do want to thank everyone tho, for commenting on the screens themselves.  :)
Actually, I agree with this. I just said that because I wasn't a mod and had no place to say anything. But now, I will. I think an environmental level can be anything else BUT environmental/challenge.

Offline Gaeel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:52:06 »
Actually, I agree with this. I just said that because I wasn't a mod and had no place to say anything. But now, I will. I think an environmental level can be anything else BUT environmental/challenge.

Why not? Environmental means that a lot of effort has gone into making the level look great, and that's one of the things the author has concentrated on while making the level.

I also find that Maze/TrickJump is a stranger concept than Environmental/Challenge, A Challenge can still be a challenge even if the level looks great, and a level doesn't lose in graphical quality because there's challenge to it.

Also, if people don't like the idea of having challenges, puzzles or mazes in their environmental levels, they should only download pure environmental.

And for those who think that an environmental level REALLY can't be anything else... then just pretend that the environmental tag isn't there when it's coupled with another. So for you guys, Blox's level is just a maze.
Code: [Select]
<Gaeel> I love you Dataflashsabot!
<Dataflashsabot> I love you too Gaeel!
<Gaeel> Wait are we really having this conversation?
<Dataflashsabot> I think we might be a figment of Gaeel's twisted imagination...

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 04:09:39 »

Why not? Environmental means that a lot of effort has gone into making the level look great, and that's one of the things the author has concentrated on while making the level.

I also find that Maze/TrickJump is a stranger concept than Environmental/Challenge, A Challenge can still be a challenge even if the level looks great, and a level doesn't lose in graphical quality because there's challenge to it.

Also, if people don't like the idea of having challenges, puzzles or mazes in their environmental levels, they should only download pure environmental.

And for those who think that an environmental level REALLY can't be anything else... then just pretend that the environmental tag isn't there when it's coupled with another. So for you guys, Blox's level is just a maze.
I'm saying this because a lot of people say their level is an environmental just because it "looks good" even if it doesn't. In my eyes, an environmental is a level that may have a few tricks, but it's mostly just about it looking good. We should stop this now before we start an argument.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:54:28 »
The general idea was that all KS levels are expected to be environmental to a degree. And that environmental levels are supposed to be totally environmental with no challenges. Except for challenges that don't involve enemies. Or something. The categories are all totally subjective anyway, and it'd be incredibly petty to remove a level because it has two supposedly conflicting tags.
good bye

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 06:03:10 »
It is very beautiful. I will look forward to this one.

Offline Razor

• !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 07:24:30 »
Were we can get that Please can you put it in the Knytt levels  :huh:

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:28:28 »
@razor:
This is a level I have started, it is called The Ancient Lands.

Now, then
That tileset is awesome! :D Utterly superb. Gonna be a great level.

F.Y.I.  I don't think a maze/trickjump sounds that wierd.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:31:22 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.