A Potentially/Hopefully Useful Tool

• 7 Replies
A Potentially/Hopefully Useful Tool
« on: April 05, 2010, 19:33:56 »
While building a tileset and struggling to distinguish between tiles and increments on them, I got an idea for a useful tool, or just a little template for building tilesets. I assume a few other people might be having the same troubles/inconveniences, so here's my little picture:

As you can see, it has borders for every tile, each tile is outlined by one pixel wide lines on each side. So when you're drawing in it, cover the blue section with your illustration. It also has increments (the two shades of gray) to show which corners are on which tile and the two midpoint pixels of every tile. When you illustrate, I recommend keeping the borders so you can go back and check, and you can just make them fully transparent in GIMP or a different drawing software. And, of course, change the bottom part, which the red line is included in.

So tell me if you find this useful/might find it useful in the future. And if you do in fact use it, please do not give credit because it's not a worthy enough tool. This is just designed to save some people time and confusion. And if you don't see any usefulness whatsoever, please tell me so I can remove it and be spared my own embarrassment.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
Re: A Potentially/Hopefully Useful Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 20:03:16 »
That's actually pretty handy! I like it! (although you can just do basically the same thing quite easily in GIMP) :P
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 23:34:39 »
About everything in this tileset can be done by editing and re-saving tileset0 in the data folder. The midpoint lines are kinda cool, though.
Lurk more.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 21:57:19 »
Actually, you can use grids when your using GraphicsGale and set it to 24x24, or, if you're looking for the halfway points, set it to 12x12. :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 23:33:51 »
Actually, you can use grids when your using GraphicsGale and set it to 24x24, or, if you're looking for the halfway points, set it to 12x12. :P
I have no idea what that is... Maybe I should look into it. I guess this is just for those of us who use Paint and Gimp. xD
That's actually pretty handy! I like it! (although you can just do basically the same thing quite easily in GIMP) :P
"About everything in this tileset can be done by editing and re-saving tileset0 in the data folder. The midpoint lines are kinda cool, though."

Yes, I know. I did make it quite easily, but I just wanted to see if anyone found it useful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 23:49:29 by Neotrice »

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 20:11:53 »
You can also set grids in the GIMP; I find them quite useful, myself.
o__  o

Offline Artix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:28:45 »
You can also set grids in the GIMP; I find them quite useful, myself.

To extend on this, you set grids in GIMP by going to View>Show Grids. You can also change grid size with Image>Configure Grids.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 21:51:15 »
Yeah, I've been setting my gimp grid to 12 instead of 24 so that I have a half spot.  It also makes rearranging and copying your tiles super easy by turning on "snap to grid"