[Normal/Hard][Challenge] Hypoxia

• 11 Replies

Offline saba

• View Profile
[Normal/Hard][Challenge] Hypoxia
« on: July 04, 2010, 21:52:25 »
You drowned. Now your restless spirit wanders the underwater landscape. Find the keys so you can finally step into the light and let your soul be at peace.

Yes! A small/medium sized level that is completely underwater.  :) I always wanted to see more of those, so I thought I'd try to make one myself. Let me know what you think!

http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/sabaHQ%20-%20Hypoxia.knytt.bin

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal/Hard][Challenge] Hypoxia
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 22:32:09 »
I loved the atmosphere and the ambiance. If there was one niggle, it was that I had no idea where to go after getting the eye. It took some searching. But other than that, it was really good. Really enjoyed it.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:17:43 »
Ironic that I had no idea where to go after finding red and yellow key, but easily found the eyeball stuff. Guess that's what comes of an environmental level. C)
Lurk more.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 20:20:15 »
I had no trouble finding things. The level has a nice appearance. It definitely has an underwater feel. Juni being a spirit helps with the suspension of disbelief. At first I thought, "She's moving normally. Shouldn't the water slow her down?" but then I thought, "She's a ghost, so it shouldn't affect her."

My one gripe is that the ending was the default "You win" screen music. The intro was nicely done, so I was shocked that no effort was put into the ending.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 21:11:23 by egomassive »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 23:18:24 »
Haven't finished it yet (no time..), but I had to comment on how well the underwater feeling is implemented. I was so amazed at the bubbles at first, I didn't recognize them as
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 00:05:45 »
I loved the atmosphere and the ambiance. If there was one niggle, it was that I had no idea where to go after getting the eye. It took some searching. But other than that, it was really good. Really enjoyed it.

True. I could add a ghost block a screen below or something, to indicate that there's something ghostly in the area.

I had no trouble finding things. The level has a nice appearance. It definitely has an underwater feel. Juni being a spirit helps with the suspension of disbelief. At first I thought, "She's moving normally. Shouldn't the water slow her down?" but then I thought, "She's a ghost, so it shouldn't affect her."

My one gripe is that the ending was the default "You win" screen music. The intro was nicely done, so I was shocked that no effort was put into the ending.

You're probably right, I just thought it would have been a little redundant to say something like "Your spirit rests now" since you can guess that that's what happens. Now that I've played it again it does seem a little abrupt though.

Thanks for the comments!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:17 »
Just make a visual of some kind. e.g. a dark screen with a light in the middle. It'll make a big difference I think.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:30:12 »
I love it - this underwater theme is something new for me. I think, that the best place is the middle part (green).
And I like the colour of water and the rays of light from the top of the water mass.  C)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 10:33:07 »
Very nice and relaxing level (definitely Normal, not Hard). I especially liked the wind challenges (like in x1001y1000) although it would have been better if they had a bit more purpose. Personally I didn't like the look of that light at the end and prefered jumping over the wall into the endless void :^^:
Other bugs: None, except for a small SGE in x1004y1000 which was probably inevitable by the looks of it. Also, I personally think it was blatantly obvious where the eye was gonna be useful because how else were you going to get that blue key in the middle of nowhere? I tried everything before admitting that I need either a high vantage point or a secret passage...
Also, great use of Ambiance music and tilesets which gave it a great sea-bed feeling. The only thing is, one of the lowest parts of the game (with the treasure chest and the sand) is also the brightest, when it should have been dark...
PS Oh and wth was that demon trying to speak to Juni in a garbled language? :shocked:
Overall rating: 8/10
second PS ... no forgot what I was gonna say - good job, anyways! Oh yeah why is the level called Hypoxia?? X-P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 14:25:44 by Deformed Knee »

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 22:43:15 »
Also, I personally think it was blatantly obvious where the eye was gonna be useful because how else were you going to get that blue key in the middle of nowhere?
Maybe some people don't jump right out into the sky like you do and therefore didn't see the screen with blue key. :P
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 17:58:18 »
This is another level I played yesterday, willfully taking some time off from work that I really couldn't afford to take off... ;-)

I really enjoyed this level. Great atmosphere, pleasantly sunny despite being underwater. Great ambiance, too. I enjoyed the look of the different areas, for the most part - in some cases, immensely (the green area, the deep chasm with the black and white colour scheme, the 'houses' under the sea where the level starts out.) In a few cases I think the tilesets used clashed a bit with each other, or with the rest of the level (the very light blue one with the very dominant pattern in some of the deeper parts; the black-and-purple striped one), and some of the area transitions could have been handled better (undersea houses to black-and-purple area is particularly abrupt - and also, as I enjoyed the houses area so much, ideally I would have liked to see that area continue for a bit, I think! :-)) Still, overall this is a very good level, and due to the extremely relaxing atmosphere definitely one I'll keep for replaying.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 21:16:45 »
Just beat this level (on KSDS X-P ) and it's really good!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Other than that, WIN, sir!

Oh, and, while I was playing it on KSDS, I converted the .oggs to .mp3s and it worked like a charm...other than the fact that at some points in the game, the top of the touch screen would screw up. I dunno if this is because of my DS, KSDS' engine, or the level, but...
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.